By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best FPS coming out this year that no one is talking about...

billy07 said:
How good are Monolith when it comes to storyline writing? Looks interesting.

Monolith will do a B+ job with the story if we look at their previous efforts. Lets say A+ being MGS series, A being Half Life 2...a tad bit worse story than those but better than titles like Gears, Resistance...etc

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:

The latest trailer didn't really impress me.
Also I had it confused with Project Offset at first, which I was genuinely excited for a few years back.

As for best FPS this year, my friends and I are waiting for Left 4 Dead. 

I am awaiting L4D too but it got some hype compared to Projec Origin which no one even knows about.

Also, I'd be willing to make a bet PO gets better reviews than L4D...like old school VGChartz bet if they are still allowed.

disolitude said:
selnor said:
disolitude said:
selnor said:
F.E.A.R was ok, but it wasnt in the same league as Halo, Half-Life and Bioshock. It was to sparce, and the slow-mo got annoying. Like most slo-mo games do. Corridor shooters that stay inside are old hat.

First of all...FEAR had plenty of open areas later in the game and while it wasn't as battle filled as Halo, the computer AI is better than Halo's.

Secondly those games listed are amazing but none of them are coming out this year...

Thridly...FEAR was the first to do slo mo in an FPS...and should be reckognized for starting that...evenif all the other copycats made it boring after.

And lastly, here is the metacritic on FEAR when it first came out on PC.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/fear?q=F.E.A.R

Anyone saying this wasn't an AAA game is dead wrong.

A.I? When I played through FEAR, A.I didnt even come into my mind. Legendary on Halo, when they flank and what not is far better. In FEAR I destroyed one of those walking mech things by walking in and out of a room. Hardly good A.I.

It doesn't sound like you played much of FEAR as I don't know anyone that went through more than 50% of the game and didn't praise the enemy AI.

Also, for your pleasure , I've pulled out some reviews that praise the AI form the 3 big sites I know...

http://www.gamepro.com/computer/pc/games/reviews/49258.shtml - 1st paragraph.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/657/657310p2.html - 1st paragraph

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fear/review.html?page=2 - 2nd paragraph

I'm going to quote this one for you...

"...but you're going to need it against the artificial intelligence in F.E.A.R. Put simply, these are the smartest, most aggressive, most tactically oriented AI opponents that we've ever encountered in a shooter, and they're downright impressive."

I hate being right all the time... :)

I played FEAR on 360, and I didnt find it impressive. My opinion. They never flanked me once. Also the easiest way to get through was to walk further into the game trigger the next set of enemies and walk back a bit. Wait for them to come after you(which they always did) and put on slo-mo and take them out before they got a shot off. Now go and try that yourself. If you say that doesnt happen, I give up on this conversation. Anyone who finds FEAR difficult just do this and confuse the awesome AI characters. However the little girl is the most scary game character ever. That bit when she is standing there at the top of the ladder when you climb up, scared the life out of me. 

yeah looks too much like fear which was just ok imo. the fps I am looking forward to is brothers in arms hells highway. the first 2 of the series I really enjoyed.

selnor said:
disolitude said:
selnor said:
disolitude said:
selnor said:
F.E.A.R was ok, but it wasnt in the same league as Halo, Half-Life and Bioshock. It was to sparce, and the slow-mo got annoying. Like most slo-mo games do. Corridor shooters that stay inside are old hat.

First of all...FEAR had plenty of open areas later in the game and while it wasn't as battle filled as Halo, the computer AI is better than Halo's.

Secondly those games listed are amazing but none of them are coming out this year...

Thridly...FEAR was the first to do slo mo in an FPS...and should be reckognized for starting that...evenif all the other copycats made it boring after.

And lastly, here is the metacritic on FEAR when it first came out on PC.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/fear?q=F.E.A.R

Anyone saying this wasn't an AAA game is dead wrong.

A.I? When I played through FEAR, A.I didnt even come into my mind. Legendary on Halo, when they flank and what not is far better. In FEAR I destroyed one of those walking mech things by walking in and out of a room. Hardly good A.I.

It doesn't sound like you played much of FEAR as I don't know anyone that went through more than 50% of the game and didn't praise the enemy AI.

Also, for your pleasure , I've pulled out some reviews that praise the AI form the 3 big sites I know...

http://www.gamepro.com/computer/pc/games/reviews/49258.shtml - 1st paragraph.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/657/657310p2.html - 1st paragraph

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fear/review.html?page=2 - 2nd paragraph

I'm going to quote this one for you...

"...but you're going to need it against the artificial intelligence in F.E.A.R. Put simply, these are the smartest, most aggressive, most tactically oriented AI opponents that we've ever encountered in a shooter, and they're downright impressive."

I hate being right all the time... :)

I played FEAR on 360, and I didnt find it impressive. My opinion. They never flanked me once. Also the easiest way to get through was to walk further into the game trigger the next set of enemies and walk back a bit. Wait for them to come after you(which they always did) and put on slo-mo and take them out before they got a shot off. Now go and try that yourself. If you say that doesnt happen, I give up on this conversation. Anyone who finds FEAR difficult just do this and confuse the awesome AI characters. However the little girl is the most scary game character ever. That bit when she is standing there at the top of the ladder when you climb up, scared the life out of me. 

I don't think the game is harder than Halo. I have yet to beat Halo 3 on legendary without a coop partner... Fear I beat on hard. The slow-mo does make things easier but also a bit funner...as without that the game would be too hard. Don't get me wrong tho, Halo has an amazing AI...but the FEAR AI guys are really smart as well...

If they notice you in a corner, they will have 2 guys come around and attack you from the back while the other 2 keep you busy on one side. They know not to charge dead ahead and to take cover when needed and regroup(halo does this too quite well).

All in all if Halo 4 was coming out this year I wouldn't be saying PO is the best shooter...as it is not, I still believe it is...even if not the best, one of the best...

Around the Network
disolitude said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Also I had it confused with Project Offset at first, which I was genuinely excited for a few years back.

I am awaiting L4D too but it got some hype compared to Projec Origin which no one even knows about.

Also, I'd be willing to make a bet PO gets better reviews than L4D...like old school VGChartz bet if they are still allowed.

I'd take that bet. As long as reviewers realize the game is multiplayer-only (yet has a sophisticated bot system for those who want to go solo), then I predict the game will end with an 85 or higher, whereas this game could be anywhere from 75-90 I bet.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Looks nice , But i'm not compleltey for it.

BenKenobi88 said:
disolitude said:
BenKenobi88 said:

I'd take that bet.  As long as reviewers realize the game is multiplayer-only (yet has a sophisticated bot system for those who want to go solo), then I predict the game will end with an 85 or higher, whereas this game could be anywhere from 75-85 I bet.

Alright...

So how about 3 months after Project Origin is out(it comes out after L4D) we examine Metacritic reviews and compare which one compared more favorably? I am thinking L4D will be around 80% and it will be great but as its different it may not be everyones cup of tea...where Project will be 85 or so like you said. But the score doesnt matter...one can be 50 the other 51 for all I care, bet still works :)

I will put this in my sig...the winner gets a nod on these forums. Meaning that the loser needs to create a thread saying the other was right...none of those "banned for 6 months" bets.

Does that sound good?

rocketpig said:
Left4Dead is going to destroy all other FPS this year.

Word.

This game reminds me of Timeshift really.  If you use that slow motion mode too much... it might just become gimmicy.

disolitude said:

Alright...

So how about 3 months after Project Origin is out(it comes out after L4D) we examine Metacritic reviews and compare which one compared more favorably? I am thinking L4D will be around 80% and it will be great but as its different it may not be everyones cup of tea...where Project will be 85 or so like you said. But the score doesnt matter...one can be 50 the other 51 for all I care, bet still works :)

I will put this in my sig...the winner gets a nod on these forums. Meaning that the loser needs to create a thread saying the other was right...none of those "banned for 6 months" bets.

Does that sound good?

Sounds good.  I think the originality of L4D combined with (what I assume will be) Valve's excellent balance work will put the game above 85 at least. 

I think the constant time warping that I saw for PO here is going to get old for a lot of people, and there wasn't a ton new.  But it'll probably have a good atmosphere and good AI, and a good multiplayer...it really depends on any issues the game might have on release.

But I'll take the bet since I'm a Valve fanboy hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )