By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The 2008 US Presidential Election - Any opinions?

elprincipe said:
Starless said:
elprincipe said:
tk1989 said:
which is left wing and which is right wing? :P

Democrats are on the left, Republicans on the right.

It's Giuliani.

McCain is from Arizona.

Romney was governor of Massachusetts (and also in charge of the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics).

It is too early to dismiss other candidates than the leaders in any case (there are currently 11 declared Republican and 8 declared Democratic candidates).

>koffieboon said:
Well, mainly I hope the American People will vote for a wise leader, one to solve problems around the world instead of creating new ones. One who at least also looks at environmental concerns instead of always putting economic growth in first place. And maybe a president with enough balls to finally start putting serious restrictions on gunlaws as well.

Which environmental issues are you talking about? Just curious because that is so general as to prevent an intelligent response.

No president can do anything about gun laws. Part of our Constitution says "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed." This means to stop people from getting guns would require a constitutional amendment, which requires a 2/3 majority in Congress and 3/4 of the states to ratify such a change. This is not going to happen anytime soon. The biggest restrictions you might get nationally (localities can be more restrictive; for example, Washington, DC outlaws handguns) is a return of the assault weapons ban.

Seriously? Even the president couldn't do anything about gun laws? No offence, but America has one sucky law system.

And I'm fairly sure koffieboon is talking about global warming.

Not at all, our system is great, the people in the system are the ones who sometimes let us down.  The president isn't charged with legislating; that's up to Congress, a body that represents the people better (or at least it should) than one person.  I guess I shouldn't have said the president can do nothing, but the most he can do is strictly enforce gun laws (the president is charged with enforcing the laws) and ask Congress to pass more restrictive laws.  Thank goodness we don't live in a country like Venezuela where the president decides to just disregard the laws of the land.

And if koffie wants to talk about global warming, I think that will need a whole separate topic since it's sure to be controversial!  I very much doubt most of the Europeans here will like what I have to say on the subject. 

well then open this thread elprincipe, i'd like to hear what you want to say. I just want to remind you of one thing: Kyoto

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network
whatever said:
elprincipe said:
Starless said:
elprincipe said:
tk1989 said:
which is left wing and which is right wing? :P

Democrats are on the left, Republicans on the right.

It's Giuliani.

McCain is from Arizona.

Romney was governor of Massachusetts (and also in charge of the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics).

It is too early to dismiss other candidates than the leaders in any case (there are currently 11 declared Republican and 8 declared Democratic candidates).

>koffieboon said:
Well, mainly I hope the American People will vote for a wise leader, one to solve problems around the world instead of creating new ones. One who at least also looks at environmental concerns instead of always putting economic growth in first place. And maybe a president with enough balls to finally start putting serious restrictions on gunlaws as well.

Which environmental issues are you talking about? Just curious because that is so general as to prevent an intelligent response.

No president can do anything about gun laws. Part of our Constitution says "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed." This means to stop people from getting guns would require a constitutional amendment, which requires a 2/3 majority in Congress and 3/4 of the states to ratify such a change. This is not going to happen anytime soon. The biggest restrictions you might get nationally (localities can be more restrictive; for example, Washington, DC outlaws handguns) is a return of the assault weapons ban.

Seriously? Even the president couldn't do anything about gun laws? No offence, but America has one sucky law system.

And I'm fairly sure koffieboon is talking about global warming.

Not at all, our system is great, the people in the system are the ones who sometimes let us down. The president isn't charged with legislating; that's up to Congress, a body that represents the people better (or at least it should) than one person. I guess I shouldn't have said the president can do nothing, but the most he can do is strictly enforce gun laws (the president is charged with enforcing the laws) and ask Congress to pass more restrictive laws. Thank goodness we don't live in a country like Venezuela where the president decides to just disregard the laws of the land.

And if koffie wants to talk about global warming, I think that will need a whole separate topic since it's sure to be controversial! I very much doubt most of the Europeans here will like what I have to say on the subject.

The fact that anyone would buy into this conservative propaganda that global warming is either not happening, or is not due to the fact we've spewed all this crap into the atmosphere,  is just amazing.   Exxon/Mobil's billions in profit is being well spent on this propaganda.

I think this needs it's own topic. My 2 cents, yes humans are responsible for the increased CO2 emissions, yes it's a greenhouse gas and contributes to global warming. Yes warmer temperatures mean more CO2 as the gas dissolved in the ocean comes out of solution, not to mention more H2O evaporates becoming water vapor, a green hous gas. No, the isn't the end of the story, the situation is alot more complex and their are factors that we still haven't quite worked out that are counter-acting, or at least slowing the process (as oppossed to what happens in a laboratory experiment). No, there really isn't anything we can do about it, yet, people's livelyhood combined with the global political climate ain't gonna let that happen. The best thing we can do is to continue to study the situation so that we might better understand it. What I'm saying is no one really has all the facts on the situation (though some of us like to pretend we do). This isn't the time for any knee-jerk reactions. This really need it's own topic if were gonna continue to discuss it.

Now this sounds stupid. I mean, we know there's a problem, and we know what causes it, so why shouldn't we stop causing it even if we "don't know all the processes"?

How?!? Are you gonna stop using your electricity, are you gonna stop driving your car?!? Neither is anybody else. We are working on technology that can help reduce CO2 emissions but it's just not there yet, and even when it is it will take time to adopt. The solution isn't simple, and it won't be an all at once thing regardless.

I can't really discuss the issue because I don't know the english words for it, (my native language is german) but I can tell you that there ARE things to do, things that don't even hurt us. For example, we should exchange all the cole plants with other electricity forms, maybe even nuclear plants. If we produce it right, we don't have to stop using electricity because it's not the electricity itself that causes global warming.

We should also stop heating our houses with cole or oil, this is just stupid. The oil is worth too much to burn it anyway, we should also try to find an alternative for cars, and I think there are alternatives.

These are just a few notes, but as I said, I miss the words to discuss the topic as a whole.

Around the Network
Escherichia said:
Darc Requiem said:
I am not kidding when I say this. Giuliani will be president over my dead body.

So your saying if he wins you'll kill yourself? Or are you saying that you'll kill him? Either way that's a really unhealthy attitude.

Oh no, I will still be breathing. I refuse to sit throw another four years of complete incompetence in the White House. I wasn't a big fan of George H.W. Bush, but unlike his son the man was qualified. Not only that he used his experience to help strength the bonds between the US, its allies, and foreign countries in general. His son has obliterated all that with his ill thought policies and complete lack of tact. There has always been cronieism in politics but George W. Bush has taken it to new levels. His "your with us or against us" attitude extends to his own party and cabinet members. He is surrounded by yes men and if by chance someone in his inner circle does suggest and opposing view point they get squeezed out. Their is difference between being stubborn and being steadfast in your belief. "Dubya" is stubborn to a fault. George W. Bush is the epitome of a poor leader and Giuliani is worse than he is. I will not standby and let my country be ruined by yet another numbskull. Its not happening. I won't allow it.

See, we are essentially saying the same thing. It's just you have to realize that the technology isn't there yet. We probably should exchange all the coal and oil power plants, but that's gonna be extremely costly and will be compounded by the fact the the world's energy consumption keeps going up. So basically a few years after the new eco-friendly power-plant comes online, you gotta start the old-coal one back up too. This could even be economically devasting to a developing country (possibly even to a developed one), so it's not like it wouldn't hurt. Nuclear power would be great but instead of producing voluminous amounts of CO2 we'd produce nuclear waste, not to mention the general populous is irrationally afraid of nuclear power. Also most of the bio-fuels are simply manufactured hydro-carbons themselves and really don't help the CO2 problem. I'd like to see more solar power, hydrogen fuel cells, and nuclear fusion, these technologies could permit us to drop fossil-fuel combustion, but at the current time are not advanced enough to replace them. The bottomline is that technology HAS to become cost effective before people are gonna be ready to adopt it, and it isn't yet. But I agree it's stupid that we are pissing away all our fossil fuels, when their gone, their gone. We need to continue working on it, and we will. Just give it time, hopefully we still have time.

StarcraftManiac said:
atheists rock the world man! God is fake! Period!

If God is fake, where are we going when we die?

I guess the answer to that would be "to the cemetary".

No! i mean like an afterlife, where will we be?