By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else starting to feel they won't need a HD console after all?

I'm with psrock. I've basically forgone PC gaming in favor of PS3 gaming. Does a PC offer better graphics and better controls? Hell yes. Do I care at this point? No.

I do plan on getting back into PC gaming in another year. Build a new computer and such. Until then, I'm satisfied with CS:S on my current PC and everything else on my PS3. Especially when said PS3 can play all PS2 games. Although if I didn't have a BC PS3, I think my opinion might be a little different.

Around the Network

Man, why didn't anyone tell me this before...I have a good gaming PC. I must return my 360 to store now!

psrock said:
snip

Killzone? j/k

Oh you are asking me to compare killzone 2 with crysis? Ok.

CRYSIS 

Killzone 2

Make sure you right click and press view image so you could see them at their natural resolutions.  

I sold my top-of-the-line rig to buy a PS3 and a 40" HDTV, and I haven't been dissappointed yet.
It was a combination of less of all the cool games coming to PC and more of them coming to the PS360 and the frustration of seeing new top-of-the-line hardware popping up all the time.
I think I would have felt a bit dissappointed if I had bought a Wii, mostly because there are only two games on it I'm actually interested in playing (SMG, NMH).

In short, no. I am definetly not feeling I didn't need a HD console

psrock said:
if anything else, hd has hurt pc gaming because they are getting most of the games pc used have exclusively.

It goes both ways, and it's the consoles that are getting hurt the most:

How many exclusives are on 360 this year? 7?

How mant exclusives are on PS3 this year? 8?

How many exclusives are on PC this year? +100.

Starcraft 2, SPORE, Empire: Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire, Dragon Age, Space Siege, World of Warcraft: WotLK, Warhammer Online, STALKER: Clear Sky, Storm of War: Battle of Britain, etc....

We can put head to head the exclusives PC vs HD consoles,  and I can tell you that PC would win against 360 and PS3 combined even.

psrock said:
i quit pc gaming too, and i dont need it, i got a ps3. I use to like pc gaming because their games always looked better, but now there's barely a difference.

Then you must be needing glasses, because the current graphics of HD consoles are nowhere near the PC graphics. Crysis >>>>>>>>> All console games. 

Hell even looking at Halo Wars, a supposed big 360 exclusive, looking underwhelming even compared to Starcraft 2 (which will be optimized for low PCs), and totally crushed by Dawn of War 2 graphics.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
psrock said:
snip

Killzone? j/k

Oh you are asking me to compare killzone 2 with crysis? Ok.

CRYSIS 

Killzone 2

Make sure you right click and press view image so you could see them at their natural resolutions.  

i hope the ps3 version looks just as good.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Parokki said:
As many of you may, or may not remember, I was mainly a PC gamer for around a decade before I got a Gamecube in 2006. Then I received a Wii a few weeks after it was released, and soon an Xbox and a PS2.

When re-entering the console gaming world after a long hiatus, I only really cared for Nintendo games. Trying the other two consoles quickly made me realise just how wide my taste for games was, and I decided to eventually get all three next-gen consoles. This went on for quite a while, and playing on a friend's 360 only made me want one more. The Wii was great, but the HD consoles definitely had something to offer as well.

Then I got a new computer that's good enough to run any game older than itself, and most of the stuff that's going to be coming out for the next year. There was some stuff on the PC like Europa Universalis III and Supreme Commander that I just had to play, and my old laptop wasn't up for it.

Some days later I was inspecting a bargain bin at a local gaming store, and saw the PC versions of a few games I was intending on getting for the 360 later on. Figured I might as well get them, and had a surpisingly positive experience playing them on full specs. Guess I wasn't still used to the thought of playing new games on a computer. =P

After this I started looking at the HD consoles in a different light, and realised they have extremely few exclusives that I actually care about.

The 360 has Halo 3 and Dead Rising. The former is great at events with at least 2 consoles hooked up, and all such events I will ever end up going to have plenty of Halo-owners already attending. Offering almost PC-level online on a console is impressive, but I have a PC. The latter is unique and very entertaining, but definitely something I can live without.

The PS3 has MGS4 and Little Big Planet. I loved the previous three MGS games, and can't wait to see how the series ends, but I can just borrow a friend's PS3 for it. LBP looks great, but again nothing I can't live without, or play at a friend's place. Then there's semi-want stuff like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, and Ratchet, but none of them make me terribly excited. Will probably have to borrow someone's PS3 for the next ICO game, though. =/

The more I look at things from this perspective, the better the Wii is looking. By having so many top notch first party games, and using such a unique controller, it's actually the only console to offer a completely different experience to the PC. With third parties finally starting to figure out the Wii, and virtually no new PS3 and 360 games that won't be on the PC being announced for the last several months, I'm starting to think it might be possible to skip the HD consoles entirely, or at least wait until they've dropped below 200€ and there are slim models available.

Anyone else arrive at the same conclusion?

tl;dr: Wii+PC FTW!

Well, in a similar vein I decided that PC + PS3 + Wii was the way to go.  I've got PC and PS3 and will shortly be adding a Wii (I've waited to I can craftily get it as a birthday  present for my youngest son otherwise I'd already have one).

My rational is PC = FPS, online, MMO, etc.  PS3 = exclusives plus media centre and BR / DVD player hooked up to the HD TV in our family room and Wii = family fun hooked up to our SD TV in the living room.

Sadly no room for 360 as like you it has very little I wouldn't prefer on a PC (and can indeed get on one), I really don't like poor quality (sorry RROD) and I didn't like its design in terms of external power, external HD DVD, etc.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

shio said:
psrock said:
if anything else, hd has hurt pc gaming because they are getting most of the games pc used have exclusively.

It goes both ways, and it's the consoles that are getting hurt the most:

How many exclusives are on 360 this year? 7?

How mant exclusives are on PS3 this year? 8?

How many exclusives are on PC this year? +100.

Starcraft 2, SPORE, Empire: Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire, Dragon Age, Space Siege, World of Warcraft: WotLK, Warhammer Online, STALKER: Clear Sky, Storm of War: Battle of Britain, etc....

We can put head to head the exclusives PC vs HD consoles,  and I can tell you that PC would win against 360 and PS3 combined even.

psrock said:
i quit pc gaming too, and i dont need it, i got a ps3. I use to like pc gaming because their games always looked better, but now there's barely a difference.

Then you must be needing glasses, because the current graphics of HD consoles are nowhere near the PC graphics. Crysis >>>>>>>>> All console games. 

Hell even looking at Halo Wars, a supposed big 360 exclusive, looking underwhelming even compared to Starcraft 2 (which will be optimized for low PCs), and totally crushed by Dawn of War 2 graphics.

the difference is the pc used to have a huge lead in graphic area, now it just barely looks better and not every pc can handle them, but my ps3 will play all ps3 games.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Redundant FPS comparisons, hm? You can buy great ones on PC and HD consoles, that's for sure.

JRPG's and BEU on the one side, RTS and MMORPG on the other side. These are the main differences between PC and HD consoles today imo. Every other genre is covered on every system.

they have extremely few exclusives that I actually care about.

The more I look at things from this perspective, the better the Wii is looking.

I don't understand those two sentences. IT is true the 360 and PS3 do not have that many awesome exclusives. But there are many games that are exclusively not on the Wii. Or in other words why do you care if a game is exclusive to 360 or PS3. The important point is which games are available for a system and both PS3 and 360 have a stellar lineup of games that is better than any previous generation. It is true that this lineup is overlapping heavily but why should you care?