By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else starting to feel they won't need a HD console after all?

Depends on your gaming tastes...

I'm beginning to think that won't need the Wii after all, but Monster Hunter 3 could make me change my mind.

Around the Network
Kyros said:
they have extremely few exclusives that I actually care about.

The more I look at things from this perspective, the better the Wii is looking.

I don't understand those two sentences. IT is true the 360 and PS3 do not have that many awesome exclusives. But there are many games that are exclusively not on the Wii. Or in other words why do you care if a game is exclusive to 360 or PS3. The important point is which games are available for a system and both PS3 and 360 have a stellar lineup of games that is better than any previous generation. It is true that this lineup is overlapping heavily but why should you care?

FPS =/= stellar lineup.

no and i am tired of threads like these that are exploding here since npd

With a good computer I'm certainly starting to feel that my PS3 is sorta useless...except for watching blu-ray movies.

For consoles, it's all about the exclusives - and so far the Wii has had more that I've wanted than other consoles.  Being of a different hardware configuration, the wii tends to get games that aren't also ported to the PC - and when games are shared with the PC, I will always by them for that platform. 

FPS =/= stellar lineup.

Perhaps you want to play Uncharted, Ratchet, Assassin's, Oblivion, Gran Turismo-P, Virtua Fighter, GTA4, Mass effects, Devil May Cry4 or in the near future Tekken, Resident Evil 5, Fable2, Ninja Gaiden, etc. pp. The HD consoles have only FPS sentence is getting old, really really old.

Around the Network

i am getting more and more to that conclusion. i have a wii and its awesome, mario kart alone should last me a long time, and wiiware just hitting and 3rd party support should be ramped up a lot in the next year i'm quite happy with it. i still do plan to buy a 360, but that is getting pushed further and further back. a year ago i was planning to have it by now. but now i figure i could go another 2 years without it so its cheap and i can get the few games i really want like halo3, fable 2, ninja gaiden 2, resident evil 5, mass effect, and bioshock for like half price along with a couple xbla titles. it'd be nice to have ps3 for ffXIII and mgs4 and maybe LBP, but its not worth it for just that, especially since FFXIII is really the only game i absolutely wanna play thats not also on the 360. so i should be non-hd till the late part of this gen.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

With a good computer

Yes PS3/360/PC are converging this gen. If you have a gaming PC you do not need a PS3 or 360.

I on the other hand made the decision to buy a PS3 instead of upgrading my aging PC and it has been a good decision. Most good games are now primarily targeted at the HD consoles the one and only game really looking decisively better on PC than the average console game is Crysis. And playing from the couch on a big TV is nice. On the other hand I miss RTS games.

psrock said:
shio said:
psrock said:
if anything else, hd has hurt pc gaming because they are getting most of the games pc used have exclusively.

It goes both ways, and it's the consoles that are getting hurt the most:

How many exclusives are on 360 this year? 7?

How mant exclusives are on PS3 this year? 8?

How many exclusives are on PC this year? +100.

Starcraft 2, SPORE, Empire: Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire, Dragon Age, Space Siege, World of Warcraft: WotLK, Warhammer Online, STALKER: Clear Sky, Storm of War: Battle of Britain, etc....

We can put head to head the exclusives PC vs HD consoles, and I can tell you that PC would win against 360 and PS3 combined even.

psrock said:
i quit pc gaming too, and i dont need it, i got a ps3. I use to like pc gaming because their games always looked better, but now there's barely a difference.

Then you must be needing glasses, because the current graphics of HD consoles are nowhere near the PC graphics. Crysis >>>>>>>>> All console games.

Hell even looking at Halo Wars, a supposed big 360 exclusive, looking underwhelming even compared to Starcraft 2 (which will be optimized for low PCs), and totally crushed by Dawn of War 2 graphics.

the difference is the pc used to have a huge lead in graphic area, now it just barely looks better and not every pc can handle them, but my ps3 will play all ps3 games.

Where did you get this idea? It's only the beginning of the 7th gen. That is why pcs aren't that much better. By the time the end comes pcs will look far better than consoles. YOu are forgetting that pcs advance while consoles stay the same. 

By the time the end comes pcs will look far better than consoles. YOu are forgetting that pcs advance while consoles stay the same.

Not 100% true, if you look at God of War2 you will see that consoles advance too, its amazing what you can squeeze out of a hardware when you get to know it really well.
But of course in 2 years PC games will once again outclass console games by a wide margin. So perhaps I will get a gaming PC again in 2010 .

psrock said:
shio said:
psrock said:
if anything else, hd has hurt pc gaming because they are getting most of the games pc used have exclusively.

It goes both ways, and it's the consoles that are getting hurt the most:

How many exclusives are on 360 this year? 7?

How mant exclusives are on PS3 this year? 8?

How many exclusives are on PC this year? +100.

Starcraft 2, SPORE, Empire: Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire, Dragon Age, Space Siege, World of Warcraft: WotLK, Warhammer Online, STALKER: Clear Sky, Storm of War: Battle of Britain, etc....

We can put head to head the exclusives PC vs HD consoles, and I can tell you that PC would win against 360 and PS3 combined even.

psrock said:
i quit pc gaming too, and i dont need it, i got a ps3. I use to like pc gaming because their games always looked better, but now there's barely a difference.

Then you must be needing glasses, because the current graphics of HD consoles are nowhere near the PC graphics. Crysis >>>>>>>>> All console games.

Hell even looking at Halo Wars, a supposed big 360 exclusive, looking underwhelming even compared to Starcraft 2 (which will be optimized for low PCs), and totally crushed by Dawn of War 2 graphics.

the difference is the pc used to have a huge lead in graphic area, now it just barely looks better and not every pc can handle them, but my ps3 will play all ps3 games.

You're wrong, in the beginning of every console generation there were always games that looked better than the PC games. But THIS GEN was different, in that PC was actually the Top Dog right from the beginning.

First were the Megadrive games that looked more vivid and played way smoother than the PC games at the time

Then were N64 games that, where some of them looked better than any PC game at their release (queue Mario 64)

Then the Dreamcast. I remember when DC came out and there were footages of Soul Calibur, that looked FAR better than any PC game I saw.

This Gen, No Console Game was able to beat the PC games at their time. And Now Crysis has crushed All Console Games when this gen barely even started.