By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else starting to feel they won't need a HD console after all?

darthdevidem01 said:
360 YES I feel wii fans can feel they can skip that due to its exclusives hitting PC

But with PS3 you don't have that....if you want FF13, GT 5, MGS4, LBP, GTA 4 (if you write the 360 off in the first place)

you NEED a Ps3

If you don't want them....fine

Looking at the games you're lumping together, yes you need a PS3...in a year maybe... and if you REALLY must play mgs4 now. I have a feeling the game won't stay PS3 exclusive for long uless sony wants to fork out some cash...and looking at their strategy after the financial statement report, I don't think that will happen.

About this topic...If you are strapped for cash I guess you don't need the HD consoles to have a good time. I'm sure you will marvel when Wii introduces standard online play and a hard drive in a year or 2 and think you've made the best investment in the world.

If you wanna play with the cutting edge games, best console online network, best graphics, try demos out before you buy games...and you want to do that NOW you need an HD console.

As for PC owners... great gaming PC will demolish 360, ps3 or the wii...and wii may look like the best purchase of the 3. But trust me...a lot of my PC gamer freinds bought the wii and its collecting layers of dust.

Around the Network

if anything else, hd has hurt pc gaming because they are getting most of the games pc used have exclusively.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Parokki said:
As many of you may, or may not remember, I was mainly a PC gamer for around a decade before I got a Gamecube in 2006. Then I received a Wii a few weeks after it was released, and soon an Xbox and a PS2.

When re-entering the console gaming world after a long hiatus, I only really cared for Nintendo games. Trying the other two consoles quickly made me realise just how wide my taste for games was, and I decided to eventually get all three next-gen consoles. This went on for quite a while, and playing on a friend's 360 only made me want one more. The Wii was great, but the HD consoles definitely had something to offer as well.

Then I got a new computer that's good enough to run any game older than itself, and most of the stuff that's going to be coming out for the next year. There was some stuff on the PC like Europa Universalis III and Supreme Commander that I just had to play, and my old laptop wasn't up for it.

Some days later I was inspecting a bargain bin at a local gaming store, and saw the PC versions of a few games I was intending on getting for the 360 later on. Figured I might as well get them, and had a surpisingly positive experience playing them on full specs. Guess I wasn't still used to the thought of playing new games on a computer. =P

After this I started looking at the HD consoles in a different light, and realised they have extremely few exclusives that I actually care about.

The 360 has Halo 3 and Dead Rising. The former is great at events with at least 2 consoles hooked up, and all such events I will ever end up going to have plenty of Halo-owners already attending. Offering almost PC-level online on a console is impressive, but I have a PC. The latter is unique and very entertaining, but definitely something I can live without.

The PS3 has MGS4 and Little Big Planet. I loved the previous three MGS games, and can't wait to see how the series ends, but I can just borrow a friend's PS3 for it. LBP looks great, but again nothing I can't live without, or play at a friend's place. Then there's semi-want stuff like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, and Ratchet, but none of them make me terribly excited. Will probably have to borrow someone's PS3 for the next ICO game, though. =/

The more I look at things from this perspective, the better the Wii is looking. By having so many top notch first party games, and using such a unique controller, it's actually the only console to offer a completely different experience to the PC. With third parties finally starting to figure out the Wii, and virtually no new PS3 and 360 games that won't be on the PC being announced for the last several months, I'm starting to think it might be possible to skip the HD consoles entirely, or at least wait until they've dropped below 200€ and there are slim models available.

Anyone else arrive at the same conclusion?

tl;dr: Wii+PC FTW!

Thats pretty much what I've been thinking, I only really want a PS3/Xbox360 as I love Tech/gadgets, but game wise nothing makes me want to buy either of them as I have a new PC.

Playing : PC  AOE, DiRT 2, Runes of Magic, Wings of Prey & Planetside 2  

Wii U : Nintendoland, Super Mario U  & Fifa 2013 demo

DS : Guitar Hero : On Tour

Formerly unknown as Vengi

http://vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=2331

psrock said:
if anything else, hd has hurt pc gaming because they are getting most of the games pc used have exclusively.

The games are flowing both ways, and the PC games are far cheaper. PC gamers with HD consoles almost always opt to go for the PC version of a shooter/RTS.

The question and the answer imo is JRPG.

If someone is not interested in JRPG's and buys or plans to buy all 360 multi-platformers he/she's interested in for the PC, there are not many reasons left to buy a 360 (you can even skip the few exclusive WRPG's like Fable2 as the PC can easily compete in this genre - and there's a big chance that Fable2 will come to the PC one day).

The PS3 is another story. I still think the library will have more interesting and diverse library of (really) exclusives than the 360 in 1 or 2 years, not only JRPG's. Games like Uncharted, GT, MGS and LBP are just the beginning.

Personally, I quit PC gaming about 10 years ago and up to now I skipped the HD consoles for a simple reason which is rarely mentioned by others (which makes me think I'm the only one with this reasoning):

I don't own a HD TV.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
It really depends on just what games you're looking for. I'm really looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII, which could take ages to land on the PC if it does at all. And as for shooter games on a PC, they are annoying as crap. Someone actually offered for me to play Team Fortress 2 on Steam. Obviously I was going to be terrible at first, but the controls were so awkward and the motion sickness (combined with hunger) made me want to vomit.

No matter how big your monitor is, it ain't big enough.

You dont want a massive monitor for PC. 19" = perfect.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I'm in the same boat as Parokki.

Whenever I'm near a 360, I just play Hexic HD the whole time. Not to say it doesn't have games, but I'm in love with Hexic and anything Pajitnov makes and can barely get my hands off the thing.

If a 360 fell out of the sky I'd buy Beautiful Katamari, Dead Rising, and maybe Rock Band, but right now I definitely wouldn't pay for one.

Nothing on the PS3 interests me right now, and if one fell out of the sky I'd maybe rent a game or two, and then sell the thing.

PC is good enough for all my non-Wii needs. I'd be fine with just a Wii, but my PC will cover Spore and StarCraft 2 and Left 4 Dead.

The last PC game I bought was the Orange Box, and before that... Half-Life 2, and before that, uh... StarCraft?

okr said:
The question and the answer imo is JRPG.

If someone is not interested in JRPG's and buys or plans to buy all 360 multi-platformers he/she's interested in for the PC, there are not many reasons left to buy a 360 (you can even skip the few exclusive WRPG's like Fable2 as the PC can easily compete in this genre - and there's a big chance that Fable2 will come to the PC one day).

The PS3 is another story. I still think the library will have more interesting and diverse library of (really) exclusives than the 360 in 1 or 2 years, not only JRPG's. Games like Uncharted, GT, MGS and LBP are just the beginning.

Personally, I quit PC gaming about 10 years ago and up to now I skipped the HD consoles for a simple reason which is rarely mentioned by others (which makes me think I'm the only one with this reasoning):

I don't own a HD TV.

i don't have either. if ps4 will have real backward capability i will probably buy it instead of ps3 of course when i will be able to buy a hd tv for normal price.

i quit pc gaming too, and i dont need it, i got a ps3. I use to like pc gaming because their games always looked better, but now there's barely a difference.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

OT : Some PC games seem to last a very long time, for example I know many people (including myself) that play AOE and AOE2 on the PC.

BOT : I'm keeping an eye on all HDC games and I plan to play a few on my friends machine.

MontanaHatchet : I find it very stange that someone could get motion sickness from playing anything on the source engine (apart from looping in Portal), it's much slower then something like Quake 3.

ssj12 : A 22" Widescreen monitor is even better as it's no taller and yet it gives you more vision, for RTS it's perfect.