By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - iRiver G10? Has anybody learned from the Gizmondo, GP2X, and Nokia N-Gage?

"It's almost as if every single famous company wants to put at least one video game console on the market. Remember the Apple Pippin? Nope. Why? Because it sucked harder than when you ram a vacuum into a carpet, and hold it there for a few seconds"

Just for Clarification, the Pippin wasn't a home console in the traditional sense of a system that plays games designed for it. It was really just a computer so you could play Computer games on your TV. It doesn't really count as a foray into the Gaming world.  

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

I wouldnt dismiss it entirely. iRiver does make good mp3 players and they have been succesfull with those. This gadget seems to be marketed as a MP3/Video player with 4-8gigs of memory and it can also play games. It also comes with windows... which basically means it will hacked to bits in no time. Emulators will just need to be adjusted a bit and wha-la a nice little machine that can probably play mp3/mpeg4/all older console games up to the PSP and DS (and maybe even those 2 since it does have a dedicated GPU), and some PC games as well as all older console games. If the price is low enough, it may find a home with some casual folks who want mp3s & some simple games, as well as hobbyists who will mangle this thing to do supermobileconsole feats. I always wanted to get one of those gxp things from korea (a succesful product) but they really lack processing power and dont have a dedicated GPU. If it has a touch screen and some USB ports, I am definitly getting one for hobby purposes if nothing else.

Oh yea... but i agree it will never be able to compete with th DS or PSP but that doesnt mean it will fail either. 

Well, some people even consider the PSP as a failure. If that is the case, then every portable, not made by Nintendo, is a failure. I guess that statement is still arguable.

Anyways, yeah, this iRiver G10 looks interesting. Nobody is going to buy it, except me, for my stupid collection. But where the fuck is it? How come there aren't any on eBay? So many failures have existed without me ever knowing until years later. Where is this stupid iRiver G10?

gamingdevil said:
Actually i LOVE its design and it has a pretty damn screen. I wish it could beat the PSP but as everyone knows this thingie stands no chance.

I'm very disappointed to hear you say that.  Very childish IMO.

Anyway, I remember reading about this last year.  It certainly looks the part.  The screen is lovely.  Although to have such a high resolution means that the GPU will need to be pretty strong.  Which means one of two things.  Either it will be very powerful, hence a high retail price.  Or the high resolution graphics mean that the texture detail and on-screen details aren't that great seeing as the processor needs to shift some to keep up...so won't look great in practice.

I like the idea and it's actually incorporates some of my ideas for a PSP2 i.e. high resolution screen...480p or 720p which can be displayed on an HDTV for playing games on an external TV as well as playing on the go.  Although this kind of technology could be a while away as it would cost too much.  

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

davygee said:
gamingdevil said:
Actually i LOVE its design and it has a pretty damn screen. I wish it could beat the PSP but as everyone knows this thingie stands no chance.

I'm very disappointed to hear you say that. Very childish IMO.

Anyway, I remember reading about this last year. It certainly looks the part. The screen is lovely. Although to have such a high resolution means that the GPU will need to be pretty strong. Which means one of two things. Either it will be very powerful, hence a high retail price. Or the high resolution graphics mean that the texture detail and on-screen details aren't that great seeing as the processor needs to shift some to keep up...so won't look great in practice.

I like the idea and it's actually incorporates some of my ideas for a PSP2 i.e. high resolution screen...480p or 720p which can be displayed on an HDTV for playing games on an external TV as well as playing on the go. Although this kind of technology could be a while away as it would cost too much.

Just FYI it's not called childis, it's called opinion.

Around the Network
gamingdevil said:

Just FYI it's not called childis, it's called opinion.

You must hate Sony or hate the PSP.  What has Sony or the PSP done to you to wish for it's defeat?

Has shitty games.

a.l.e.x59 said:
Has shitty games.

What has shitty games?

Playstation Portable has bad games when compared to the Nintendo DS.

While I prefer the DS to the PSP, I take issue with your assessment Alex. The PSP has good game library. You may not like the style of games of the PSP but they aren't bad. My only really qualm with the PSP outside of pricing was the fact that the games seemed ill designed for portable play. I feel that portable games should pick up and play and IMO, PSP games have a distinct console feel that is not conducive to playing on the go.