By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Guide for graphics whores. Open source, so suggestions of course welcome.

LordTheNightKnight said:
BTW, this is not bashing people who like graphics, because I actually like good graphics. I think the new screens for games like Gears of War 2 look really cool. Yet I also look at the game in overall terms. Those who, seem to not care about other aspects, are graphics whores.
Why did you, put those two commas, in that last sentence?  I saw the same type of thing elsewhere. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
BTW, this is not bashing people who like graphics, because I actually like good graphics. I think the new screens for games like Gears of War 2 look really cool. Yet I also look at the game in overall terms. Those who, seem to not care about other aspects, are graphics whores.
Why did you, put those two commas, in that last sentence? I saw the same type of thing elsewhere.

Thank God I'm not, the only, person that bothered.

It's called a typo. I fixed it.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:

o rly?

LordTheNightKnight said:

2. Pretend "Graphics don't matter," is a literal phrase.

3. It's not having the best graphics, it's trying to have the best graphics.

6. People, who put down graphics, are philistines.

9. People, who put down graphics, are jealous.

twesterm said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

o rly?

LordTheNightKnight said:

Those are appropriate comma uses in formal writing.

Take point 2. What's in quotes is an independent clause, which means it should end with some punctuation point. Since the rest of the sentence follows, and that clause is not a question or exclaimation, it ends with a comma.

Point 3 is joining two independent clauses, but in the form of a single sentence, thus either a comma or semi-colon is used to join them.

Point 6 and 9 are complete sentences if you remove what is in between the commas, so the commas are used to set off the qualifying dependent clauses. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
twesterm said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

o rly?

LordTheNightKnight said:

Those are appropriate comma uses in formal writing.

Take point 2. What's in quotes is an independent clause, which means it should end with some punctuation point. Since the rest of the sentence follows, and that clause is not a question or exclaimation, it ends with a comma.

Point 3 is joining two independent clauses, but in the form of a single sentence, thus either a comma or semi-colon is used to join them.

Point 6 and 9 are complete sentences if you remove what is in between the commas, so the commas are used to set off the qualifying dependent clauses.

Hmm, I don't believe but I'll let the fiance figure that out tonight if you're right (and I don't mind being wrong) since English is one of her majors.  She's a whee bit better at this stuff for me.

Point 2: I know you can put in a comma after someone is talking but not sure if you use it there.  If I'm wrong though that's the one I'm most likely wrong on.

Point 3: I left that part in there by mistake because I'm an idiot like that sometimes.

Point 6 and 9: If you say it out loud it does not sound right in any way at all.  So technically you may be right but it's distracting as all Hell to say People *pause* who put down graphics *pause* are jealous rather than just saying People who down graphics are jealous.

Remember, the point in writing something generally isn't to use as many words, pauses, whatever as possible, it's to get your point across directly as possible.  I don't care if people have perfect grammar (I know I don't), I just like things to be clear and easily readable.

Well you got me on easily readable over perfect grammar, so I adjusted 6 and 9.

LordTheNightKnight said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
I'm no English major either but I don't think that's completely correct. The qualifying clause is necessary to the meaning of the sentence. It's different from saying, for instance, "LordtheNightKnight, a poster at VGChartz, likes to use commas." In that case I don't think you're generally supposed to have commas.

I don't mean to drag this out or beat a dead horse, so you can ignore this if you want, but if you want to pursue this question then obviously I've made myself available. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

LordTheNightKnight said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
What's in quotes is an independent clause, which means it should end with some punctuation point. Since the rest of the sentence follows, and that clause is not a question or exclaimation, it ends with a comma.
That's true, but in that case I believe you're also supposed to put one before the quotation:  "Pretend, 'Graphics don't matter,' is a literal phrase."  It's the fact that you used one but only one that's the mistake.

I already took them out. See my post above yours, so HA!