By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Boom Blox to be one of the Main Third Party Exclusive Titles for Wii?

Grey Acumen said:
I don't think exclusivity should be an issue. Good 3rd party games shouldn't be dismissed simply because they're ports. Porting a game so that it controls well on the Wii is an achievement all its own.
With that, I'm putting Resident Evil 4 and Okami ports as the obvious additions to good 3rd party games list. With how different the controls are, they really end up playing as different games from the original console they were on. They may be PS2 and Gamecube ports, but so was Twilight Princess and it was brilliant on the Wii, so I say those two should also qualify.

Top Tier 3rd party games - No More Heroes, Zack & Wiki, Boom Blox, Resident Evil 4 Wii, Okami Wii.

What about Dewy's Adventure and Elibits? They had looked decent enough, but seemed to get lackluster reception.

I disagree. Remaking 2 year old games isn't my idea of great third party support. Okami's controls were badly ported. Rayman Raving Rabbids was good, though...or so I hear. I want to rent that as a possible purchase since I love getting multiplayer games (my first purchase for Wii was Warioware).

Around the Network

The 3P list that I would make is:

Z&W
RE4
REUC
NMH
RRR
Boom Blocks
MoH2: Heroes
Lego SW
Okami
ProEvo Soccer
PowerProBaseball

For future releases, I think there's hope for:
Fatal Frame 4
Lego Indy
FFCC
Lost Winds
Alone in the Dark
Sam and Max
Deadly Creatures
Mushroom Men
Red Steel 2

Of course, hopes are oft crushed by reality...

Grey Acumen said:

What about Dewy's Adventure and Elibits? They had looked decent enough, but seemed to get lackluster reception.

Playing elebits, it seemed like it was geared for an 8 year old to maybe a little older.  Never played dewy's adventure, but at least from the box cover it seemed even younger.

Nothing wrong with going for that audience, but...  that will tend to gain lackluster reception unless it some how targets all ages.

Boom Blox is much better than I first thought. I would rate it a lot higher than No More Heroes, and about on par with Zack and Wiki. It's just a really great game.

jlauro said:
Grey Acumen said:

Playing elebits, it seemed like it was geared for an 8 year old to maybe a little older.  Never played dewy's adventure, but at least from the box cover it seemed even younger.

Nothing wrong with going for that audience, but...  that will tend to gain lackluster reception unless it some how targets all ages.

What exactly do you mean "somehow targets all ages"? Both of those games are "all ages", though I think both are too difficult for someone under the age of 8 (especially Dewy). Please remember that Pokemon et al and Mario Galaxy are also "all ages" games even if not explicitly marketed as such. Something like RE: UC is not nor would I consider Zelda TP in that category (there's moments in that game where there is some dark 'n' creepy things going on that I'd probably rather a youngster not be exposed to).

"All ages" simply implies that 1. anyone can reasonably pick it up and play it and 2. the content is reasonably benign, e.g. no exploding heads, scary monsters (for those under the age of 10), or language/storyline issues (bear in mind that most of the stuff in this last category is generally about as 'adult' as your average PG-13 film but is certainly not things a little kid should be playing).

You can also throw Mercury Revolution (another "all ages" title) on that 3rd party list along with House of the Dead Returns and Ghost Squad, at least as far as I'm concerned (played all of those far more than most of the games on misterd's very good list and I'd also add Dewy and Elebits to it as well, despite that, apparently, nobody played them).

Around the Network

That's not raining on my parade, I hope they do port it over for others to enjoy. I can't imagine any way the control scheme will give the same experience. The camera control will be fine, aiming is no problem but throwing a baseball with your traditional controller is just not that much fun. It also is a game that will not benefit at all from HD graphics.

Besides, can anyone tell me where this childish "I like system X so I want all other systems to fail" nonsense came from? You don't see it elsewhere. I drive an Acura but I don't have a wish to see Lexus fail, I use Scott toilet paper but I've never wished Charmin to go belly up. I prefer the Wii but I harbor no wish for fire to rain down from heaven on Sony or MS. I wouldn't argue in these places at all except for the pigheaded the Wii is different so it must be crap silliness.

Hey it's just a damn game system and unless Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo is sending you a monthly check you really don't have to shill for them. Get over it, new systems come out, sometimes they are different, sometimes the difference is good although that is never believed or accepted by the users of the older technology. If the the change is good then it will become the norm until the next innovation. Someday the users of motion controllers will bitterly resist the new system that follows the pupil of your eye or whatever is next. Good thing or we would all be playing with one button joysticks or Pong paddles. 

I'm really considering buying this game, so if anyone has anything to say to convince me, say it! I'm either going to buy Boom Blox or spend my money on some Wiiware/VC games because there aren't many games I want coming out in the future. (No Wiifit for me.)

3DS FC: 1306 6473 7511

Nintendod Network ID: xsorenx

Add me for Pokemon, New Leaf, and Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8.

exindguy said:
jlauro said:
Grey Acumen said:

Playing elebits, it seemed like it was geared for an 8 year old to maybe a little older. Never played dewy's adventure, but at least from the box cover it seemed even younger.

Nothing wrong with going for that audience, but... that will tend to gain lackluster reception unless it some how targets all ages.

What exactly do you mean "somehow targets all ages"? Both of those games are "all ages", though I think both are too difficult for someone under the age of 8 (especially Dewy). Please remember that Pokemon et al and Mario Galaxy are also "all ages" games even if not explicitly marketed as such. Something like RE: UC is not nor would I consider Zelda TP in that category (there's moments in that game where there is some dark 'n' creepy things going on that I'd probably rather a youngster not be exposed to).

"All ages" simply implies that 1. anyone can reasonably pick it up and play it and 2. the content is reasonably benign, e.g. no exploding heads, scary monsters (for those under the age of 10), or language/storyline issues (bear in mind that most of the stuff in this last category is generally about as 'adult' as your average PG-13 film but is certainly not things a little kid should be playing).

You can also throw Mercury Revolution (another "all ages" title) on that 3rd party list along with House of the Dead Returns and Ghost Squad, at least as far as I'm concerned (played all of those far more than most of the games on misterd's very good list and I'd also add Dewy and Elebits to it as well, despite that, apparently, nobody played them).

I heard Dewy is difficult, and fairly fun game and may pick it up sometime. That is based more on what I heard about the game, not from looking at the box.

In Elebits, the main character is a little kid, and has story book like cut scenes. I don't mind benign content, and enjoyed most of the actual game play. I just don't like playing as a little kid during the game and then constantly reminded it between main sections. That just kind of spoils the game for me. Honestly, I would of prefered the game without the background story. I have the game, and did like it, but if I found how it was aimed as if you were a little kid annoying. If I found it that way, I am sure others did too, and was just trying to explain that is part of the lack luster reception.

Do you really think a game featuring Teletubbies as the main characters would have content suitable for all ages? Even if it's suitable (as in not objectionable), do you think the target audiance is for all ages?

Pokemon does not do that the entire game and works better for all ages.

Grampy said:

That's not raining on my parade, I hope they do port it over for others to enjoy. I can't imagine any way the control scheme will give the same experience. The camera control will be fine, aiming is no problem but throwing a baseball with your traditional controller is just not that much fun. It also is a game that will not benefit at all from HD graphics.

Besides, can anyone tell me where this childish "I like system X so I want all other systems to fail" nonsense came from? You don't see it elsewhere. I drive an Acura but I don't have a wish to see Lexus fail, I use Scott toilet paper but I've never wished Charmin to go belly up. I prefer the Wii but I harbor no wish for fire to rain down from heaven on Sony or MS. I wouldn't argue in these places at all except for the pigheaded the Wii is different so it must be crap silliness.

Hey it's just a damn game system and unless Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo is sending you a monthly check you really don't have to shill for them. Get over it, new systems come out, sometimes they are different, sometimes the difference is good although that is never believed or accepted by the users of the older technology. If the the change is good then it will become the norm until the next innovation. Someday the users of motion controllers will bitterly resist the new system that follows the pupil of your eye or whatever is next. Good thing or we would all be playing with one button joysticks or Pong paddles.

The beggar-thy-neighbour attitude of console owners comes from the way the gaming market tends to allow for only one winner. There are feedback mechanisms which tend to make a leading console into a dominant console, getting the bulk of the software selection and other services, and thereby devaluing the competing platforms.

Using your car analogy, imagine Lexus as the dominant car got access to smoother, faster roads than your Acura. Whole traffic systems built for the Lexus which go places your Acura can't go on the cheaper roads. You'd be pretty jealous, and you'd want Lexus to fail so that those prime motorways were built for Acura instead. You want to have the Acura you prefer, and the comfort of driving on the most/best roads to maximize your experience.

Since the NES, there have only been a couple generations where a single platform hasn't completely eclipsed its competition. And even in the Genesis/SNES and N64/PS1 generations, the leading platform had a major lead in software support from third parties. Taken together, and with the advantage of preconceived notions of how the console market goes, PS3 and 360 might stand against Wii thanks to their similar design capabilities. It's just as likely that their support will get crushed quite thin by a surging Wii userbase.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

How does this game play? I have been hearing really good things about it lately and would like to give it a shot.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!