By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii: Sony doubts longevity

naznatips said:
vizunary said:
DRJ said:
Yea that makes no sense, just the last ditch effort from PS3 fanboys. The Wii is outdated techwise now, the 360 and PS3 are way ahead of it. But guess what? Noone cares... Wii sports will not be anymore outdated in 3 years than it is now, and it will probably still be selling well... When has better tech ever won out over better price / better content? PS2? DS? Even the B&W Gameboy destroyed its competition that was in color. If the Wii sells like it is now through 09 they will be so far ahead that it wont matter what anyone else does.

Is Wii Sports really that much more entertaining to you than.... say Oblivion? You're right kids don't care.

PS. You let me know when a Wii game wins Game of the Year? LOL

I don't like Oblivion, so yes (I honestly fell asleep while playing. not kidding). But, I am not going to say that Wii Sports is a better game.

oh and PS: http://youtube.com/watch?v=njh3HhN8LKc have fun with that one friend. You think Nintendo games can't make game of the year? Did you just completely shut yourself in a closet during the Gamecube years?

Thats actually interesting.  The anouncer said that gameplay always trumps graphics.  Does that mean that at least some of the media agrees with Nintendo fans about this subject.

Around the Network
KruzeS said:
reverie said:
The Fortune editor commented this with something like "this shows that Sony is caught in an engineer's mindframe."

A good engineer would no that there are no solutions, only compromises, and cost is a big part of any choice.

Indeed, I've said in another thread that PS3 was designed by marketing more than engineering. Marketing is the only group that would be seduced by buzzword city that was offered by BR and cell. Engineering rarely goes on the bleeding edge. They only take the spec and make it possible.

The fact that the PS3 turned out the way it did indicates that marketing dictated the specs. Engineer executed it and made it possible, at a price. Marketing and mgmt felt that it was an acceptable price.

Sony has long ceased to be a engineering driven company, engineering does not control the purse strings that was required

"But when you take a look at industry, every industry: usually technology does't go a step back. the controller is innovative but the wii is in principle a again-used Gamecube. When the innovative controller is the central/main point of the whole system, you should ask yourself if it is on a long-term basis meant." 1. Wii is not weaker than the Gamecube, therefore, it hasn't gone a step back in terms of technology. If anything, Sony took a step back in technology when they fucking took the vibration out of the controllers when they found out too many girls were using them for other purposes. 2. No it is not an again-used Gamecube (that sentence barely made sense anyways). It's different. 3. Yes it will be used as a long-term basis. I don't want to play the exact same games with just better graphics. That's all it has been for 35 years since the Magnavox Odyssey was released.

Funny, Sony said the DS would be short lived too.

What will help the PS3? There is a PSP2 coming so games support will be good. PSP2 -> PS3 ports. The PS3 is a young console. They could introduce something like a Wii-mote. Pointing at PS3 Gloves. So will a consolewith slightly better PS3 graphics and a Wii-mote will do the trick? I think Nintendo will need to come up with something new again.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Bodhesatva said:
vizunary said:
DRJ said:
Yea that makes no sense, just the last ditch effort from PS3 fanboys. The Wii is outdated techwise now, the 360 and PS3 are way ahead of it. But guess what? Noone cares... Wii sports will not be anymore outdated in 3 years than it is now, and it will probably still be selling well... When has better tech ever won out over better price / better content? PS2? DS? Even the B&W Gameboy destroyed its competition that was in color. If the Wii sells like it is now through 09 they will be so far ahead that it wont matter what anyone else does.

Is Wii Sports really that much more entertaining to you than.... say Oblivion? You're right kids don't care.

PS. You let me know when a Wii game wins Game of the Year? LOL

Zelda: TP Wii version has already won a bunch of GotY awards :X

Pretty sure he has realized that and stopped posting for a reason lol.

anyway does it matter? Wii is selling a lot even if they doesn't have the game of the year.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Fractal of Time said:
What will help the PS3? There is a PSP2 coming so games support will be good. PSP2 -> PS3 ports. The PS3 is a young console. They could introduce something like a Wii-mote. Pointing at PS3 Gloves. So will a consolewith slightly better PS3 graphics and a Wii-mote will do the trick? I think Nintendo will need to come up with something new again.

no it's too late for stuff like that, the wiimote is the console's standard controller that it comes with that games are being created for.  We all know that add-ons can never be that effective because you are only getting a fraction of the userbase. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

just look at the 360, companies won't require using the hard drive even though 80-90% of the owners have one.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Also, if the DS never got old, then the Wii wont either.

That's true those gloves will sell like an eye toy. But you can always change your console pack. Let's say Wii2 is coming in 2013. If Sony bundles a SIXAXIS and gloves plus a game for these gloves in 2011. They are well prepared for the Wii2. If you don't bundle those gloves, gamesupport will be weak.