By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii: Sony doubts longevity

AntiqueGamer said:
Entroper said:

The speaker = win. I can play the practice mode in Tennis over and over, it's great when you get a little kick in your hand and the "WHOCK" sound accompanying it. WHOCK, WHOCK, WHOCK...

snip

I don't know why, but that really cracked me up. WHOCK, WHOCK, WHOCK... lol

I also totally agree with you. I love all the WHOCK'n and the CRACK'n and the WHOOSH'n coming out of that little speaker in my hand. It really helps you connect with what's happening on the screen.

Hehe, come on, it was either that or WHACK WHACK WHACK... ;)

Surround sound in gaming is great, but having a speaker in your HAND adds an entirely new dimension.  No other system can provide that connection. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Kytiara said:
I can't believe sony is claiming old tech never lasts considering the PS2 is selling way better than the PS3...

Well, they also claimed that they can sell 5 million consoles without any games.

Well they have sold 3.3m with no s/w LOL. Oh shit, I've got one of 'em..... :(  I want Lair....and * and * and *

DRJ said:
Yea that makes no sense, just the last ditch effort from PS3 fanboys. The Wii is outdated techwise now, the 360 and PS3 are way ahead of it. But guess what? Noone cares... Wii sports will not be anymore outdated in 3 years than it is now, and it will probably still be selling well... When has better tech ever won out over better price / better content? PS2? DS? Even the B&W Gameboy destroyed its competition that was in color. If the Wii sells like it is now through 09 they will be so far ahead that it wont matter what anyone else does.

Is Wii Sports really that much more entertaining to you than.... say Oblivion? You're right kids don't care.

PS. You let me know when a Wii game wins Game of the Year? LOL

vizunary said:
DRJ said:
Yea that makes no sense, just the last ditch effort from PS3 fanboys. The Wii is outdated techwise now, the 360 and PS3 are way ahead of it. But guess what? Noone cares... Wii sports will not be anymore outdated in 3 years than it is now, and it will probably still be selling well... When has better tech ever won out over better price / better content? PS2? DS? Even the B&W Gameboy destroyed its competition that was in color. If the Wii sells like it is now through 09 they will be so far ahead that it wont matter what anyone else does.

Is Wii Sports really that much more entertaining to you than.... say Oblivion? You're right kids don't care.

I don't like Oblivion, so yes (I honestly fell asleep while playing.  not kidding).  But, I am not going to say that Wii Sports is a better game. 

oh and PS:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=njh3HhN8LKc have fun with that one friend.  You think Nintendo games can't make game of the year?  Did you just completely shut yourself in a closet during the Gamecube years?

reverie said:
Yup. The Fortune editor commented this with something like "this shows that Sony is caught in an engineer's mindframe."

So very true! All three companies are reverting to their primal "DNA" models:

Sony - the engineer

Microsoft - the software developer

Nintendo - the games designer/developer

if the PS3 "fails", will Sony change their DNA? Or just release the PS4 (100x the power of the PS3...?). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

360 won the first round of the console fight.

Is that sort of like a boxer winning the first round by getting a few good swings in before his opponent enters the ring?

Ok, it's not like I don't have a lot of respect for what Microsoft has done with the 360. They came in at just the right time with an impressive system. But they also failed to secure the lead they should have with a truly successful console, given a year of zero competition.

vizunary said:
DRJ said:

Zelda: TP Wii version has already won a bunch of GotY awards :X

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
vizunary said:
DRJ said:

Zelda: TP Wii version has already won a bunch of GotY awards :X

Pretty sure he has realized that and stopped posting for a reason lol.

Wii sports bowling is very entertaining to me. And that game alone has sold the system to several people just that have played it with me. Even my dad liked it and he doesn't play video games. Of course I am looking forward to and likely will like Metroid, Mario, and Brawl (especially Brawl) a lot more. But really I didn't say anything about Wii Sports being entertaining (I thought that was a given). What I was saying is games like that are graphically dated now, and it doesn't matter, and it wont matter in 2009 or whenever. Also I thought TP was a very beautiful game and that was built for the Gamecube, imagin what the Wii could do when games are more optimized for it... Galaxies looks great, Brawl looks great. Now I will concede that if you want photo-realistic games then definitely get a 360 or PS3, cause that is what those systems are designed to do. If you dont care about that and want games that look nice of course, but that are fun (for you, I know some people dont like Mario etc.) Then the Wii may be a better choice.

reverie said:
The Fortune editor commented this with something like "this shows that Sony is caught in an engineer's mindframe."

A good engineer would know that there are no solutions, only compromises, and that cost is a big part of any choice.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.