By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft's answer to Wii Fit?

In my opinion, Microsoft is one of the most schizophrenic companies that has entered into the videogame industry mainly because they tend to have a high turn over of executives in the entertainment and devices division of Microsoft. If Peter Moore was still in charge of the XBox division he would (likely) be talking about how interesting it was that Nintendo was entering that marketspace, but that it was important for Microsoft to provide the best gaming experience rather than producing excercise equipment.

Around the Network

A mod fuels the troll flames.....

C'mon people, it's just an event, it's not like they just released the x-mote with an xbox-sports game.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

famousringo said:
kn said:
Oh, the irony here is unreal. My daughter loves DDR type games but when her metal dance pad broke after intense use (PS2 version), we haven't played any more. There are 3 or 4 DDR games for the 360 but there isn't a high quality metal dance pad for the 360. Why is that you ask? Because Microsoft's heavy-handed management of accessories -- i.e. blocking access to the joystick port unless you license the chip required to plug in a device. I believe the cost of that little device is about 20 bucks apiece or so.

So, here they are... advertising the 360 for a genre that doesn't have a quality controller for it on the 360. Asinine.

I really enjoy my 360 but there are some seriously stupid people in charge of the 360 division when you STILL can't buy a quality metal pad for DDR games and they are trying to call attention to it... Yeah, there are a couple of foam ones and a cloth mat one, but if you play DDR with any regularity, they'll be toast. There is no substitute for a good quality metal pad. Man, I really wonder about MS sometimes...

If you're feeling adventurous, here's a guide on how to get a Cobalt Flux DDR pad to work with an Xbox 360:

http://www.bunkerguts.com/blog/?p=64

I highly recommend the Cobalt Flux pad, BTW. It's invulnerable. My brother-in-law is up to 7-step difficulty and he weighs just shy of 300 lbs, but the pad just keeps on taking it.

Thanks for the link and I have already considered a hack version but decided to wait on a "proper" one.   I'm very aware of the cobalt flux and would probably get one for my daughter if they made it native for the 360.  I contacted them about a year ago about getting one for my 360 and they told me they would "have one out soon".  For a while there was a link in their FAQ about a 360 compatible model "coming soon" but I can't find it now.  I guess it isn't coming any more.  As I mentioned above, if Microsoft was serious about expanding their horizons, they would have gotten together with a few of the dance pad makers and let them slide on the licensing cost (or next to nothing) so that they would have a working controller for the masses.  It isn't like Microsoft sells one and would be losing money to the competition.  Instead, they'll just talk about DDR for a little while and it'll be on to the next thing till they get some leadership in gaming that has a clue.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Really, Microsoft gunning for the downmarket is a lost cause. They're just alienating their existing market, and aren't drawing in the Wii crowd at all in the process. To the mainstream, Wii is what video games are supposed to be; the 360 and PS3 are those "murder simulator" systems (which GTA4 certainly hasn't helped the image of). We know better, but we're not the mainstream. If we were, we would not be here at VG Chartz, with our own accounts, discussion the minutiae of the industry.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

superchunk said:
That sounds kinda stupid. Promote exercise with a system that only has a couple of 3rd party games that are actually physically active.

I think this will backfire on them. People will just relate this idea of gaming + exercise with the Wii and Wii Fit.

Backfire...no.  That would mean losing tons of money, and high budget this aint.  Succeed...also no because as you pointed out they have a distinct lack of other games of this type.  However I think it's a but rich to assume "people" associate gaming + exercise with Wii and Wii fit.  Last I checked Wii owners represent around a third of 1 percent of America's population (to lazy to look up numbers for EU, Japan, etc.), so even if every single one of them owned Wii Fit they'd still be an overwhelming minority.  Wii fanboys associate Wii Fit with exercise.  "People" will never consider gaming as exercise, no matter how well-rounded or healthy Nintendo makes it.  It's just the stigma the industry has acquired.

Around the Network

Wow, Microsoft is desperate and now copy nintendo in almost anything.

First motion controller and now this. I wish I was a fly on the wall in the meeting where copying Nintendo as a last resort was suggested as an option.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I blame Wii Fit.

Seriously, how did this thread go so long without someone posting that? =P 

De85 said:
superchunk said:
That sounds kinda stupid. Promote exercise with a system that only has a couple of 3rd party games that are actually physically active.

I think this will backfire on them. People will just relate this idea of gaming + exercise with the Wii and Wii Fit.

Backfire...no. That would mean losing tons of money, and high budget this aint. Succeed...also no because as you pointed out they have a distinct lack of other games of this type. However I think it's a but rich to assume "people" associate gaming + exercise with Wii and Wii fit. Last I checked Wii owners represent around a third of 1 percent of America's population (to lazy to look up numbers for EU, Japan, etc.), so even if every single one of them owned Wii Fit they'd still be an overwhelming minority. Wii fanboys associate Wii Fit with exercise. "People" will never consider gaming as exercise, no matter how well-rounded or healthy Nintendo makes it. It's just the stigma the industry has acquired.

Nintendo is about to kick off their biggest advertising campaign in its history for Wii Fit. It really hasn't started yet as their initial allocation will be sold out. Once the supply pipeline builds up steam, Wii Fit will be advertised like nobody's business. Just about everyone will know of Wii Fit eventually. 

Wii Fit is an absolute monster. Huge first day sales, coupled with the definition of legs, it's on its way to being bigger than Wii Sports, the Wii itself and even something like Mario. The Wii is changing the face of gaming, certainly for the better, and Microsoft is leaping for that bandwagon with all its might.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception