By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - X-Play reviews Mario Kart Wii (Prepared to be offended)

It's not the score that bothers me. It's the complaints against the game. Mario Kart Wii is being punished because it's not easy. This is pretty much the only complaint that I'm seeing about the game and it shouldn't be a complaint. The hardest difficulty is hard. Imagine that.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
amp316 said:
It's not the score that bothers me. It's the complaints against the game. Mario Kart wii is being punished because it's not easy. This is pretty much the only complaint that I'm seeing about the game and it shouldn't be a complaint. The hardest difficulty is hard. Imagine that.

It's only hard because it punishes being in first place. It just makes the game frustrating and there's absolutely no reason for things like the blue shell, other than to cater for ****ing casuals.

It's not being punished because it's not easy, it's being punished because you can spend an entire race in the lead, taking short cuts, drifting turns, then lose it by 3 places by some annoyingly timed items. Whats the point? If your good enough to be in the lead the whole time, why are so many reviewers getting screwed at the end? I've heard this complaint from plenty of people, only the die-hards say otherwise, and well guess what percentage of those who picked up the game aren't die-hards. For something so silly I think it should be docked massive points, it would be like playing a fighting game where you could take the same guy down to 1% health then he just becomes invincible. That would annoy the piss out of me to be in the lead for 99% of the match and come in 4th.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Shameless said:
amp316 said:
It's not the score that bothers me. It's the complaints against the game. Mario Kart wii is being punished because it's not easy. This is pretty much the only complaint that I'm seeing about the game and it shouldn't be a complaint. The hardest difficulty is hard. Imagine that.

It's only hard because it punishes being in first place. It just makes the game frustrating and there's absolutely no reason for things like the blue shell, other than to cater for ****ing casuals.

Speaking as someone who has been putting up with this quirk since the dawn of karting on the SNES, I'd just like to add: it makes it all the sweeter when you win even with such blandishments for the newcomers.

It's the same blue shell that's been there all of these years. Only now do I hear people complaining about it. Once again, if you are good enough, the blue shell doesn't matter. Learn to play the game at a high level and it is extremely rewarding. The items are balanced to the point that if you're crappy that you might not come in last. You aren't going to win. Mario Kart is what it has always been. It is a hardcore game that can be enjoyed by casuals. If you play it enough, you realize this.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Shameless said:
amp316 said:

ANd that is how the games always were. Also it's pretty sad when an EA game ( BLoom BLox)  gets a 5/5 and Mario kart gets a 4/5. Let alone the hypocricy they make about the people being casual toolbags, yet they give  a super casual game 5/5.

Did Morgan Webb start the "Why isn't Samus in a Mario Kart game" thread or something?

Also, yes, if you are driving perfectly (And not just thinking "Wow I'm god"), you will keep first place. It is an annoyance, but items are no substitute for sheer skill in the end for Mario Kart.

Oh, and so what they gave it a 4 out of 5?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

They didn't name a whole lot wrong with it, though I do have remind everyone that its MARIO kart, not NINTENDO kart. So no Toon Link or Olimar. ._.

I own all of lastgen systems as of October 2008. (Finally got a Dreamcast)

I own every currentgen system except PS3.

Fuzzmosis said:
Did Morgan Webb start the "Why isn't Samus in a Mario Kart game" thread or something?

Also, yes, if you are driving perfectly (And not just thinking "Wow I'm god"), you will keep first place. It is an annoyance, but items are no substitute for sheer skill in the end for Mario Kart.

Oh, and so what they gave it a 4 out of 5?

I'm not morgan webb.

sc94597 said:
Why are x-play's reviews so short? I think it's a good score compared to other reviews. Mario Kart has never been an AAA franchise.

Mario Kart is always AAA.