By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Boom Blox can sell?

I've just been looking at the videos of BB on IGN, it looks pretty fun, I might actually buy it when it's released.

As for sales....it's a tough call, but I can see it hitting a million eventually.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/871/871124p1.html  <- M & B play with the level creator

Playing : PC  AOE, DiRT 2, Runes of Magic, Wings of Prey & Planetside 2  

Wii U : Nintendoland, Super Mario U  & Fifa 2013 demo

DS : Guitar Hero : On Tour

Formerly unknown as Vengi

http://vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=2331

Around the Network

After watching the IGN coverage on it, I think I will pick it up in a few weeks. Looks like some really awesome oldschool puzzle game fun. You don't see many puzzle games these days that aren't lumines rip offs.

As for predictions, I'm optimistically thinking "mysims" style performance. It will start off slow, and then continue slow under the radar, untill some time next year somebody on VGchartz makes a topic saying it's a million seller.

REALLY optimistically, it could be one of those weird games that catches on to a far greater extent than people expect, like Carnival games did. And it will be a million seller with steady legs, that readily makes it into the top 10 wii games sold on a weekly basis.

Pessimistically, it could be that there just isn't much of a market for intelligent, high end, puzzle games that actually had some financial backing. You can go to walmart and buy 10 lumines clones for five bucks a piece, will there really be a market for a fleshed out, physics based puzzler with a high degree of customization, multiplayer, and online components for 50 dollars? It could have middling early sales and then drop off having sold maybe 200k before dying.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I think it will sell enough to not be a bomb. But a puzzle game, even a phenominal puzzle game is a hard sell to many at $50. I think they should've gone for $39.99

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
radioioRobert said:
I think it will sell enough to not be a bomb. But a puzzle game, even a phenominal puzzle game is a hard sell to many at $50. I think they should've gone for $39.99

You underestimate the power of a well known name plastered all over the box.

Like I said, it's going to lose out on a lot of sales because when it was released but I think the others are right in saying that it will continue to sell well over time.  I think if a parent sees something that is Mario, something like Carnival Games, and something with Steven Speilberg's name most will pick Speilberg. 

from some video ive seen its look cool when the price comes down to $19.99 i'm gonna get myself a copy

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

Around the Network
twesterm said:
radioioRobert said:

You underestimate the power of a well known name plastered all over the box.

Like I said, it's going to lose out on a lot of sales because when it was released but I think the others are right in saying that it will continue to sell well over time.  I think if a parent sees something that is Mario, something like Carnival Games, and something with Steven Speilberg's name most will pick Speilberg. 

I agree with Carnival Games, but I think parent love to pick up Mario as well. Mario to parents = guaranteed game the kids will play. I am definitely not discounting the SS effect though, should be a huge boost. I am getting Boom Blox this week, and hope it does well.

BAM! There it is!

I know i am getting this game. I have seen the vids and i am convinced that this game could keep me entertained for hours.

But will this game sell? Thats a tough one. The premise is extremely simple, the character style will appeal to the younger more than to the older. Everything about it screams Zack and Wiki all over again in terms of sales. But then again , this game carries the Spielberg name. I am not a parent, but if i am buying a game for my kid and paying 49 dollars for it, that is just the kind of name I want to see on the box. Steven Spielberg would not mess with my kids. If Steven Spielberg says that this is a good game for kids then it must be so.

So i think, and hope, that this game is going to have long little legs all the way to Christmas, eventually selling 1.3 million copies or more on the way.

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Did Atari use Steven Spielberg's name on the box for E.T.? Not that he had anything to do with the actual game, but have any Steven Spielberg movies had successful games?

If not Boom Blox might suffer the Steven Spielberg curse!

BAM! There it is!

this game will hit 1.2-1.3mln in america alone and about 600-750k in others during this generation in the worst scenario and 5-6 mln copies worldwide best. we have to consider that wii will be more than 6 years on the market, and right now games that bomb on their 1st weeks can still sell easily few milion copies(my sims, carnival games, big brain academy, rayman raving rabbids series, lego star wars) selling 20-40k copies months and even years after release.

radioioRobert said:
Did Atari use Steven Spielberg's name on the box for E.T.? Not that he had anything to do with the actual game, but have any Steven Spielberg movies had successful games?

If not Boom Blox might suffer the Steven Spielberg curse.

Doesn't look like his name is there.

He's never been directly involved int eh development of any of the movie to game productions until now.  I think Jurassic Park on the SNES has the most commercial success.

The rEVOLution is not being televised