By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Boom Blox can sell?

I turned on my television and watched some comedy central today; why? Well because I know Wii based commercials love making an appearance on that channel, I didn't see anything, granted I was watching for about an hour. (I have ADD when it comes to tv) Now recently some guys from THQ analyzed wii software sales as far as the marketing of games goes. They pretty much concluded core gamers can spot games on the internet that appeal to them thus placing ads for their games on the net is a good way to appeal to a core crowd. (Whatever core means) The more casual crowd who don't stay in the loop on what games are coming out will spend less time on the internet checking out their video game pass times progression and instead will probably have a better chance of becoming informed about a game via billboards and television. Now I understand that the big Movie guy Steven Speilburg is the key man behind the game Boom Blox, but will it even sell, just how important is this game as far as holywood mainstream goes with the video game industry. Instead of just movie tie ins will big budget movie industry seek to expand their production into video games should this succeed and if this does sell well what kind of games would holywood crank out. But will this game even sell or is it doomed, the game is supposed to appeal towards children, that means parents will be getting this fast, but how big is this game?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

I don't think the game is going to do spectacular but it will do decently and won't bomb.

Other than being an odd title that a lot of people don't get or love to make fun (yet they still love LBP for some reason) it's coming out the week after MKWii and GTAIV and only a few weeks prior to Wii Fit. If this game came out two months ago I would have probably picked it up and I may pick it up in a few months if it turns out to be good but right now I've already spent my gaming budget.

I hope this game does well but there are just too many bigger releases to expect a lot of people that would buy this game to buy this game.

I think it will "bomb". (Or people will claim, don't know what constitutes a success in this case.)

Though I know nothing about this game really other then people being pissed you can't look around by making an complicated makeshift end around and that it has something to do with Jenga.

I just think it's one of those quirky games that will likely be a lot of fun but not hit the mainstream audience.

I hope it does well, it's a really great game. I think it will sell around 550k-750k lifetime.

MySims started off with less than 100,000 units sold in its first week (combined sales worldwide), which made many people doubt claims made by people (like me) that this game would certainly sell 500,000 units and could break 1 Million units worldwide; as we all know, this game has since broken the 1 Million sales mark and continues to sell at a slow and steady pace.

I predict a similar fate for Bloom Blox ... It will be proclaimed as a "Bomb" early on due to its less than stellar sales, but (in part because of the Stephen Speilberg name) will sell at a steady pace through out the entire generation and sell far more than many people will expect it to.

Around the Network

I have to agree with HappySqurriel. I expect it to start off a bit better than MySims first week, since it caters to the core players more than MySims would, and then have really long legs. I bet some marketing by EA could push first week pretty high (high as in 250k), but I think it's very likely that this game will reach a million.

So nothing really definative, guess were all in the same boat >.>

I understand this game to be the type to have move like Zack & Wiki but because of the name behind it I expect higher sales but then relative to that names industry sales for movies are usually front loaded with a huge drop off thats made up in the dvd sales, which also have a huge front load.

Very odd game.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

If promoted properly, such as during previews at the movies theaters, it will sell rather well.

3rd party publishers have had to rethink their entire promotional methodology for many Wii games. With Spielberg's influence and marketing know how, I'm hoping that translates over in video game form. While I'm expecting blockbuster numbers, I think it has potential to rack up some solid sales.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Its all about advertising:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VY1gOz2-BxA

Yep, all about advertising:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_27JKus0m0w&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UaLxJOLayNc&feature=related

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

It has celebrity backing and family appeal, and by most counts its a pretty fun and well-crafted game.

Its big problem is competition. Not only in terms of the release date, as Twesterm notes, but there isn't really a shortage of casual, family-friendly games for Wii. There is space is the field of puzzle games specifically, though, so it has a good chance of finding its audience.

I don't think it will do worse than 500k lifetime.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.