By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why don't devs for once say, "We have made a piece of crap let's scrap it."

Because sometimes its more costly to drop a project then follow through with the investment.

What games in particular are we talking about here anyway?

Around the Network

Blizzard is awesome because they haven't released a bad game in over 15 years. As others have pointed out, they scrap the bad ones.

windbane said:
Blizzard is awesome because they haven't released a bad game in over 15 years. As others have pointed out, they scrap the bad ones.

They also release barely any games.

Onimusha12 said:
windbane said:

They also release barely any games.

Because they only release good ones, and those take time. Including expansions, which are also always good, they will have had 6 releases this decade. Starcraft 2 will be 7. Diablo 2 was 2000, too.

Because logically it doesn't make sense. Making games is usually a million dollar commitment. Think about it, you just put in over a million dollars and like a year into a game. Somewhere at the end of development everyone realizes it sucks. Do you drop it and get 0 dollars back? or put it out and at least generate some revenue from it.

That is the traditional business model. It should be interesting to note, that many companies do not drop games but delay them until they become good. Blizzard and Valve are both notorious for delaying games. Blizzard has has one very publicized case with Starcraft: Ghost where they outright canceled it.. Its interesting that the companies that seem to do this are the ones that are revered by gamers everywhere tho. Of course they're big companies, not everyone has the balls to hold onto a game while shelling out another million or another year.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
I'm seeing devs making all these crappy games--and a lot don't even sell well. I don't think their losses are great, but if they KNOW they have a horrible idea, why not just scrap it? I don't think scrapping a bad game is going to make them lose a lot. Also, they might not even be that far in development. For once I'd like devs to realize they have made a piece of crap and need to scrap it.

I'd rather see them realize it's crap and fix it before it goes out the door.  Both cost money though.

Actually, looking at Wikipedia, Blizzard was releasing a full game every 2 years or so with an expansion inbetween every time until WoW came out. Took them a few years for the WoW expansion rather than just 1. Another expansion is coming (their first official 2nd expansion) and SC2, so it wasn't as little as I thought. The only large gap was after WoW, and that was pretty much only 2005 and 2006 without a release. The 2nd WoW expansion comes out this year and most likely SC2 next year. Diablo 3 is rumored to be in development as well.

Onyxmeth said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
OnyxMeth, I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo has given up on Donkey Kong, and he gets weird rhythm games, racing games, and those King of Swing games.

However, Nintendo doesn't risk their bigger franchises. They've scrapped Mario games and Star Fox games before, and Miyamoto's notorious for scrapping entire projects near the end and making them start over from scratch with completely new ideas. He did this for Kirby's Dream Land and Twilight Princess, among many others. Originally, Twilight Princess didn't even have Midna in it, and he made them start over with a new character to ride on your back so the player didn't have to stare at a wolf-ass the whole game. This changed the plot and gameplay drastically.

I completely agree. What's funny though is it's these same teams that made the mediocre Donkey Kong games that went on to build Mario Galaxy, so you know it was just laziness and not lack of talent.

I was just trying to point out, originally to john sobias and then to Savoir X that even Nintendo can make a blunder every once in a while, regardless of their overall high quality, with Wii Play and Barrel Blast being two such examples.

That's not really true.  The DK game that the SMG team had produced was Jungle Beat, which is a pretty amazing game considering the fact that it was designed as a vehicle for the bongo controller.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

If you've spent million on a project you'll want that investment back, gaming is a business afterall.

A couple reason really:

1. They want to get some money back and don't care that it is bad (like EA is accused of doing)

2. They are to small to take the loss and are forced to release every game even if they know it will not make th money back

3. This goes along the lines of the saying, "to far into the forest to see the trees." they just don't realize it is a bad game until it starts to hit reviewers and gamers and it doesn't sell, then they blame piracy.

and just so you guys know, Starcraft: Ghost didn't get canceled, it just got put aside since they had so much trouble with it. there are rumors that once Blizzard merges with Activision that Infinity Ward will pick the game up and finish it.