By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why don't devs for once say, "We have made a piece of crap let's scrap it."

I remember being really hyped about that dinosaur game by Sid Meier, reading all the developer diaries and everything else about it. And then they scrapped it. I think Sid said "it wasn't any fun" or something like that.

Around the Network
Random Person B said:
Because logically it doesn't make sense. Making games is usually a million dollar commitment. Think about it, you just put in over a million dollars and like a year into a game. Somewhere at the end of development everyone realizes it sucks. Do you drop it and get 0 dollars back? or put it out and at least generate some revenue from it.

That is the traditional business model. It should be interesting to note, that many companies do not drop games but delay them until they become good. Blizzard and Valve are both notorious for delaying games. Blizzard has has one very publicized case with Starcraft: Ghost where they outright canceled it.. Its interesting that the companies that seem to do this are the ones that are revered by gamers everywhere tho. Of course they're big companies, not everyone has the balls to hold onto a game while shelling out another million or another year.

I thought Starcraft: Ghost was still coming out, just thought they were gonna let Duke Nukem Forever go first.

DNF, now there is a game that should have been scrapped completely. Reminds me of a kid whose been in school for 12 years and still doesn't know what he wants to do. At one point you just need to man up and get a job.

HA! I like that quote.

http://2ksports.com/go/gamerschoice/

Ok I did my part, I bought No More Heroes, but they were out of Zach and Wiki.

Ok got Zach and Wiki, now if I could just finally finish Twilight Princess so I can play all these Wii games I got waiting. And no I won't buy Okami.

DNF, now there is a game that should have been scrapped completely. Reminds me of a kid whose been in school for 12 years and still doesn't know what he wants to do. At one point you just need to man up and get a job.

With HD gaming making games more expensive than ever for developers, expect tamer more questionable games that play it safe and less projects cancelled.

When just reading the topic title, after reading all the comments, Blacksite comes to mind.

It was a shipped game, littered with bugs and after release the developer actually spoke out that it was an awfull piece of crap.

Now compare that to Lair...

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Onimusha12 said:
With HD gaming making games more expensive than ever for developers, expect tamer more questionable games that play it safe and less projects cancelled.

With electronic distribution making it cheaper to distribute games for developers, expect stranger more off-the-wall games that take risks to available for download instead of at your local store.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Onimusha12 said:
With electronic distribution making it cheaper to distribute games for developers, expect stranger more off-the-wall games that take risks to available for download instead of at your local store.
That'll be bad news for me.  I like having a physical product.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Onimusha12 said:
That'll be bad news for me. I like having a physical product.

I do as well.  I personally like the idea of owning the product and medium.  I can pull out my SNES today and play Gradius III just as I could over a decade ago or take it over to a friend's house who also has a SNES and play it there.  Digital distribution loses that feeling of ownership and portability.

However, if it enables me to get games which I would never even see otherwise... I think I can deal with that. 

^ Right, but if BOTH of those trends happen then the games we can physically buy won't be as good as the ones we get online. We'll go for the superior game, of course, but it would be a sad trend for us.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!