By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why don't devs for once say, "We have made a piece of crap let's scrap it."

SaviorX said:
stof said:
It might help if you gave us some examples on this one.

Ninjabread Man. I doubt that game even got Beta testing. @Onyxmeth-Wii Play must really suck if it sold 20 million copies. Thats 20 million idiots huh? Donkey Kong, I could care less. He hasn't been hot since DK64 (Never got to beat that)

It's not a relevant point for you to say you don't care about Donkey Kong when I mention poorly put together games that Nintendo releases. You don't get to pick and choose what counts and what doesn't.

As far as Wii Play, first find me a place I can purchase it and then we'll talk about it's sales having anything to do with it's quality. Also as a completely unrelated matter, see if you can find how many first party controllers Sony and Microsoft have sold to consumers.   

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

They do scrap the crappy ones, you just never hear about them ;)

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

OnyxMeth, I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo has given up on Donkey Kong, and he gets weird rhythm games, racing games, and those King of Swing games.

However, Nintendo doesn't risk their bigger franchises. They've scrapped Mario games and Star Fox games before, and Miyamoto's notorious for scrapping entire projects near the end and making them start over from scratch with completely new ideas. He did this for Kirby's Dream Land and Twilight Princess, among many others. Originally, Twilight Princess didn't even have Midna in it, and he made them start over with a new character to ride on your back so the player didn't have to stare at a wolf-ass the whole game. This changed the plot and gameplay drastically.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
OnyxMeth, I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo has given up on Donkey Kong, and he gets weird rhythm games, racing games, and those King of Swing games.

However, Nintendo doesn't risk their bigger franchises. They've scrapped Mario games and Star Fox games before, and Miyamoto's notorious for scrapping entire projects near the end and making them start over from scratch with completely new ideas. He did this for Kirby's Dream Land and Twilight Princess, among many others. Originally, Twilight Princess didn't even have Midna in it, and he made them start over with a new character to ride on your back so the player didn't have to stare at a wolf-ass the whole game. This changed the plot and gameplay drastically.

I completely agree. What's funny though is it's these same teams that made the mediocre Donkey Kong games that went on to build Mario Galaxy, so you know it was just laziness and not lack of talent.

I was just trying to point out, originally to john sobias and then to Savoir X that even Nintendo can make a blunder every once in a while, regardless of their overall high quality, with Wii Play and Barrel Blast being two such examples. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I still think Wii Play did exactly what they wanted it to. It introduced newbies to the different ways to use the remote, since it makes you play the games in order, and you start with pointing, then rotating, then 3-D movement, then pointing with one hand while using the analog stick in the other hand. And it sold a gazillion. A game doesn't have to be game of the year to be successful.

Around the Network

And that's because major developers like Nintendo have the resources to scrap or re-do projects if it doesn't meet their standards.

For the big developers, it can actually be harmful to a franchise to release a game that is not up to standard. Some seem soured on Donkey Kong games currently due to arguable quality standards, but I see this franchise making a come back within the next year. And Nintendo fans will love it.

A lot of the smaller development studios responsible for some of the weaker games that still find their way to retail don't have that luxury. Or they don't even have the intention of selling hundreds of thousands of copies, so long as they can post a profit.

The Wii franchise is an interesting case that kind of defies previous standards, even as a new IP. Simplified visuals, simplified play mechanics, but easy accessibility have made it successful. I still suspect most people bought Wii Play for the extra remote, but for those new to gaming, I'm sure it was still entertaining without requiring any effort to learn and start playing. So in that respect, it was successful. From a sales standpoint, it was successful. From a gamer's perspective, I find it pretty hard to see the appeal, even for $10 (minus the remote) other than to pad a game collection.

Onyxmeth said:

I completely agree. What's funny though is it's these same teams that made the mediocre Donkey Kong games that went on to build Mario Galaxy, so you know it was just laziness and not lack of talent.

I was just trying to point out, originally to john sobias and then to Savoir X that even Nintendo can make a blunder every once in a while, regardless of their overall high quality, with Wii Play and Barrel Blast being two such examples. 

OK, I see what you're trying to say now. I misread your post a little. I said I don't care about DK right now because to ME the games are slackin' as of late. But, Wii Play doesn't suck, which what came across to me in your post. Wii Play is like an Interactive manual. Its not meant to be a Full-Fledged game, no what I mean? It ushers new users into the Wii mechanics and possibilities.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Soriku said:
I'm seeing devs making all these crappy games--and a lot don't even sell well. I don't think their losses are great, but if they KNOW they have a horrible idea, why not just scrap it? I don't think scrapping a bad game is going to make them lose a lot. Also, they might not even be that far in development. For once I'd like devs to realize they have made a piece of crap and need to scrap it.

IDK, I HATE That Project H.A.M.M.E.R. GOT CANCELLED

It's because of money. Easy cash...

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

I still think Wii Play did exactly what they wanted it to. It introduced newbies to the different ways to use the remote, since it makes you play the games in order, and you start with pointing, then rotating, then 3-D movement, then pointing with one hand while using the analog stick in the other hand. And it sold a gazillion. A game doesn't have to be game of the year to be successful.
Oh sure, it served it's purpose. It was a genius move to package the remote with Wii Play, but that doesn't make the game any better than what it is, which were a couple of quick tech demos turned into a game. I don't want to just bluntly say it's a bad game because I don't find it fun. It actually has many technical issues that make the game unnecessarily difficult. Take Air Hockey. How many times has the puck just gotten stuck in corners or frozen into place for a second or two? It's things like that which seperate the A-Team games from the C-Team games, and Wii Play was undoubtedly a C-Team game.