By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why don't devs for once say, "We have made a piece of crap let's scrap it."

Because they are too lazy to do that just went you do crappy homework just to give the work.

Around the Network

You can't know the game is a piece of crap until it goes into testing probably, which is near the end process. It's hard to know your game is bad in the pre-production phase, because that's when hundreds of good ideas are thrown around. Once you've invested too much, you have to release a game. Just look at Tales of Symphonia. I'm sure Namco wanted to just throw it out after testing, but they had to recoup the loss of resources, so they decided to release it.

I know that both Resident Evil 2 and 4 were both scrapped completely a good portion of the way through and were forced to basically start over from scratch. There's still Elza Walker Resident Evil 1.5 videos on Youtube to show what could have been and thankfully never was. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Blizzard has done this a couple of times, and both games were well away in their development cycle.

You better say hello to Team Fortress 2.

Wait. Does the OP mean just throwing out an entire game, instead of just starting over?

Well that does actually happen, but usually it's due to budget or downsizing or management, instead of the developers realizing the game is just bad.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

It might help if you gave us some examples on this one.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Wait. Does the OP mean just throwing out an entire game, instead of just starting over?

Well that does actually happen, but usually it's due to budget or downsizing or management, instead of the developers realizing the game is just bad.
He didn't really specify, so it could mean either. I think sometimes it's difficult for a team to even realize their game is bad because they have to work past their pride in creating it to think objectively. I remember when Square almost wanted to throw out Kingdom Hearts because they realized people would rather see Looney Tunes than Disney characters in an RPG, but after that CG movie debacle they just had to release what they had.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Blizzard scrapped StarCraft: Ghost, and that WarCraft Adventures or whatever it was called.

Nintendo scrapped Star Fox 2 for the SNES, and I think a Star Fox for the Virtual Boy.

Soriku said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I'm saying scrapping an idea that is bad to begin with. COmpletely scrapping, yeah.

If the idea is truly bad, and the developer goes with it anyway (BMX XXX), you're not likely to see them realize it's bad in the middle of development.

The more common problem is the execution of a game, not its idea.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Well, let's say I'm a developer.

and 85% into the game development, and 1 million dollars in, my team and I realize the game is crap, the camera is garbage, control is boring and it really targets nobody... what will we do?

2 options.
1... gave up and take the 1 million lost?

2... put it on a console that would even sell crappy games and hope it sells by promoting it a lot.

I don't know... option 2 seems like it is favoured by A LOT of crappy developers right now.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)