By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CNN claims GTA IV is training kids to kill

Basically all I can see there is that there are so many guns in the USA in the wrong peoples hands already, that you require them in order to protect yourself from this madness that has already happened. If there weren't as many in the first place everyone would be better off, but it's not going to happen unfortunately unless some incredibly major changes came about. About as likely as America pulling off a legal war under Bush.

Baked to perfection.

Around the Network
luinil said:
NinjabreadMan said:

So basically you believe 100% gun ownership would reduce crime, which might be reasonable if everyone could be relied upon.

And i'm saying 0% gun ownership would also reduce crime.

Now regardless of whether or not there was 100% or 0% gun ownership in the general public, the organised criminals would get their way to them somehow (unless guns were completely removed from the world, which is incredibly unlikely to happen). So I guess that will never go away.

I'll still stick with my viewpoint that the 0% gun uptake would be superior to the 100%, as living in fear is bull, the crime for regular citizens would be less as humans can be incredibly eratic at times, and the organised crime wouldn't go away. They'd just learn how to kill you in more efficient manners.

I think you meant to quote me... but anywayz...

Yes, I believe that 100% gun ownership would be more beneficial than 0%. An armed populace can enforce what it believes in. A disarmed populace will either get bent over and ... well... or die trying to stand up for themselves. I believe that most Americans (I can't speak for other countries) are very reliable in a pinch. The Old West is looked upon as a very dangerous time, but really it was extremely safe as far as gun ownership was concerned.

BTW, who brought up organised crime...? I was talking your average run-of-the-mill criminal who has a gun. I would feel much safer if I owned a gun while walking around in unfriendly territory, than if I didn't own a gun in the same area.

Peace of a gun isn't something to strive for, and is a feature almost always found in totalitarian regimes.

When you're put in a situation where everyone has, or at least is expected to have, a firearm (and most likely carries it with them all the time, loaded), you find yourself in a situation where everyone else has power over your life. While this might discourage people from engaging impulsively in criminal activity, it also sows paranoia: A simple misfire from someones gun might kill you at anytime. Someone with a latent mental condition might snap and gun down dozens of people in an instant. A gun still won't protect you from a knife in the back. If guns are readily available, its incredibly easy to make stupid mistakes with them ie. if you're intoxicated, have a volatile nature, etc.

And there's also the classic "Violence breeds violence breeds violence" - argument.  

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

@Ninjabreadman: You know, you can leave your political trolling at the door... same with nintendo trolling... I won't stop you from expressing your trolling views, but for God's sake, speak with reason and not with vitriol.

@Mise: see cwbys21 post above.

luinil said:

@Ninjabreadman: You know, you can leave your political trolling at the door... same with nintendo trolling... I won't stop you from expressing your trolling views, but for God's sake, speak with reason and not with vitriol.

@Mise: see cwbys21 post above.

There are a million ways to kill someone without using handguns. Plus according to this graph (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Intlhomrate.svg), most murders committed in US do not involve firearms anyway. And you can't really establish a causal link between gun control and increases in homicide rates anywhere anyway, so your argument is pretty much shot (pun intended). 

When you replace "follow the laws or be punished" with "follow the laws or die", human life becomes significantly less meaningful, and society has a huge problem in its hands, both with its values and in reality. 

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

You are not arguing against an opinion here... These are hard facts. I also have a small rule about Wikipedia... It isn't a valid source in a debate. Outside of real discussion it is fine, but here... It won't pass muster.

And you say that

When you replace "follow the laws or be punished" with "follow the laws or die", human life becomes significantly less meaningful, and society has a huge problem in its hands, both with its values and in reality.

You are not correct. When you put someone to death for committing murder it isn't devaluing human life, it is actually increasing it. If you do something so horrid as to take someone's life (ie. murder) then it is only right that to place the ultimate price on that act (the act of taking a life).

Around the Network

While Wikipedia itself may not be valid, its sources usually are:

http://www.unodc.org/pdf/crime/eighthsurvey/8sv.pdf

That's the most recent one that isn't under password protection or cut down. Look thru pages 28 - 35. The data is still there, it's just a bit more difficult to read.

IMO a criminal is still a human being regardless of his or her crimes, and thus in name of equality no government has the right to answer murder with murder. It will never undo the damage done, and usually is nothing but revenge.

While I condone the use of deadly force under immediate and severe threat to one's life, something like Castle Doctrine with the stand-your-ground cause is completely ridiculous. Not only does it cheapen human life by making it "OK" to shoot someone who looks even remotely threatening, it also encourages the criminals to harden their measures - the mark will try to shoot you anyway, so why not just shoot him first?

Anyway, this is going way off-topic. Shall we end this here for now, or continue it in a different thread?

If you want, I don't feel like arguing too much more today and won't this weekend either. But you can create a thread about death penalty later and I might pop in.

This type of arguement will never end, its sad really. If a person comments a violent crime and blames it on a game....come on think about that. Dont you think that person was fucked in the head to begin with. The games/violence thing isnt a "reason" its an "excuse", a copout. Crazy ppl are always gonna do crazy shit, no matter what u censor or edit. By the way remember when crazy ppl were just that "crazy" and there wasnt some bullshit excuse to rationalize every action. The plain and simple truth is that if any human being uses a game,movie,tv show as a reason to commit a crime they are really screwed upstairs to begin with. But us as a society are giving ppl reason to use these copouts by saying that these forms of entertainment are corrupting thier minds, just adding fuel to the fire.

EDIT: @luinil: 

All right. It's about time too - it's 3:15 AM here in Finland and I want to get some freakin' sleep. :P

I might create a thread about capital punishment and its flaws, if I suddenly decide that I want to start a debate.

HappySqurriel said:
Aj_habfan said:
Glenn Beck lol, the guy who still denies Global Warming?

Being that there has been no measured warming since 1998, and recently it was announced that there will be a decade (or more) cooling trend in the near future, it may not be such a bad idea to question the histeria surrounding global warming.

For those wondering what I'm talking about, the Pacific Decadal Oscillation is a change in the currents in the ocean which occurs on 20 to 30 year intervals; with the inequal distribution of weather stations in the world it has the side effect of increasing the measured temperature of the world durring one phase, and cooling the measured temperature of the world durring the other phase. For the past 25 years we have been in the warming phase of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, and for the next 20 to 30 years we will be in the cooling phase of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation; it has been argued that the warming that is attributed towards global warming could actually be explaned by the PDO along with the long standing sunspot cycle, but this is largely ignored by people because Global Warming is a political issue not a scientific issue.

90% of Europe, the UN climate panel, a slew of scientists and weather experts and geologists disagree. I'm not surprised that North Americans see it as a myth though, same with China and India (ironically much of the research has been done by Indian personel). Here in Norway, the 7 warmest years in 200 years have been measure since 1998 and the aggricultural parts of out land is screwed up due to unexpected and unfamiliar temperatures and weather, the very seasons themselves don't function properly anymore here.

Grossly off topic perhaps, but there is no more science to support the claim that global warming is a myth than there is support that it is not. Which is why I treat the subject with respect. I can only go by my personal experience, and in my personal experience Norway is not the same as it was even 15-20 years back when I was a little boy playing in the snow (that we no longer have while areas that have not seen siginficant snowfall, Kristiansand and Oslo for instance, have been literally snowed down the last 3 years).