By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New MSFT rumor may give some the Blu's

According to a recent Gizmondo article, MSFT may be going ahead with a Blu-ray 360 after all.  http://gizmodo.com/386434/asus-subisidary-making-blu+ray-xbox-360

Thoughts on this article and on the point it makes?--to Blu or not to blu ...

Around the Network

This is in no way shape or form new, this rumor has been around since the PS3 came out, and resurfaced when Blu-ray won. Each time it resurfaces it gets a little more specific so people will pay attention to it.

I really doubt it, the games for 360 wouldnt benefit from it, and Microsoft would lose its price advantage.

games cant be made in blue-ray on 360 or els 18m people will see how ms screwed again

mgs4 will sell 2.4m week 1

japan:500k

others: 1m

NA:900k

AAA (90%+) games (metacritic):

nintendo:65

Xbox: 42

playstation: 98

what we could see if that happen it's the drop of the aracade SKU and shift in price... but they probably won't do games on blu ray but nothing keeps them to offer both version like it was the case at the transition on pc between CD and DVD... you could find a version of certain game on several CD and the other on DVD... i don't think they'll do it but it's a possibility... same game just already uncompressed.... but if that thing is not confirmed at E3 i don't think we'll see it come out...

great news!!

Around the Network

games cant be made in blue-ray on 360 or els 18m people will see how ms screwed again

I mean everyone has seen that they backed the wrong horse. The nice thing about public traded companies is that unlike Mafia bosses or Yakuza they seldom do something just to not loose face. So if including BluRay is a good business decision MS will do it and it will not care that people say they screwed up.

On the other hand I am not sure if it would be a good decision. Games would need to be DVD anyway otherwise 18m existing customers would be slightly inconvenienced. So the incentive is just no very high to switch to BluRay just for movies.

Another Chinese rumour???

Remember last one? How they claimed Walmart will carry sub 200 dollars HD-DVD player? That was supposed to DESTORY Blu-Ray in price-war and win the format?

Yeah, I've learn to never trust any Chinese source.

ALthough if it is true.. 200 dollars add-on might just show people the true value of having PS3?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:

ALthough if it is true.. 200 dollars add-on might just show people the true value of having PS3?

Yea, it's a no win situation for MS to add the BD player.

It will have to be either $200 because of the cost of BD, or a lot cheaper. If it's a lot cheaper, that means the cost of parts have dropped, and Sony can drop the cost of the PS3.

It will hurt more then it helps. It would sell well to all 360 owners, but new buyers will now have direct comparison when at the store, and I think it would actually drive more PS3 sales then 360 sales.

If they do then it will be for movies only(thats a given) and probably be some sort of shift with the skus meaning the arcade will be the 20gig, the pro 120 gig while the elite will be 120gig with the blue ray drive. This way they will keep the 360 brand going for longer by providing the hard drive devs want and providing blue ray for movie fans. The question is by christmas we expect the 360 to have droped in price by atleast 50-100 could ms really sell the "new" skus at 20gig-225or175, 120gig at 299-249,or the 120 elite at 399or349?

Who really cares? Gaming consoles are for games. If Microsoft does put a blu-ray player it is not for gaming. It will be for HD playback.

Not many people are buying blu-ray discs, and I don't see that changing until they shut off the production of DVD and lower the price of blu-ray discs.