By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New MSFT rumor may give some the Blu's

@Neoratt, gaming consoles are indeed for gaming, but where does that leave the entertainment systems?

Blu-discs are selling surprisingly well :P I wouldn't be too worried about that. The last figure stated that it's already 6%+ in the DVD market right? How long did it take Apple to hit that against Microsoft? Let's see where it sits in a year - 2 years, you can't take a shit nowadays and not see advertisements for HD :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

I think Microsoft should do this. It will help Sony, enough said lol.

Who really cares? Gaming consoles are for games.

Really? My gaming console is used for BluRay, divx movies, DVDs, photos and games... I think this is amazing, modern gaming consoles have enough power to fight cancer so why should you have 4 boxes under your TV doing different things. Now Sony give me PlayTV with cable support so the DVD recorder is also gone.

ChronotriggerJM said:
@Neoratt, gaming consoles are indeed for gaming, but where does that leave the entertainment systems?

Blu-discs are selling surprisingly well :P I wouldn't be too worried about that. The last figure stated that it's already 6%+ in the DVD market right? How long did it take Apple to hit that against Microsoft? Let's see where it sits in a year - 2 years, you can't take a shit nowadays and not see advertisements for HD :P

Blu-ray is not doing that great. 

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/05/01/blu.ray.victory.hollow/

"A new report shows the Blu-ray disc player sales are falling, despite Toshiba dropping its HD DVD format players back in February."

"US sales of standalone Blu-ray players fell 40 percent from January to February, still in the midst of the HD DVD fall, before increasing by just two percent in March"

"The NPD concludes consumers aren't willing to spend the extra money on what they perceive to be a minimal increase in quality over standard DVDs, a claim it backs up with the 5 percent rise in sales of upconverting DVD players in the first quarter of 2008"

@Neo, interestingly enough, the moment HD-DVD fell, the PS3 started hiking upward... coincidence? Possibly. But many 360 supporters claimed the increase was due to people buying it as movie players :P I mean which is it? We'll know in a few months time whether or not sales are increasing.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

If this does happen, I hope MS lowers the price of the Elite so I can get one. I'd only get the blu ray one if they had games (that were better) made specifically for it.

Didn't MS say recently they have NO intention of making a Blu-ray 360?

LOL I do not believe that MS will release a BluRay 360 (an addon would be a different matter), but you can believe one thing: The last source you can trust in this matter is Microsoft. They will tell you about it as short before they can sell it to you as possible.

who cares when the movies cost 30$!

JUST BUY REG. DVD'S FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!!!!!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Not going to happen.

1. They could never put 360 games on a bluray disc. It would not work on the 18m 360's out there now, no company would make that decision.

2. It would raise the cost of a 360 too much. They need to be a solid price point lower than the PS3 to stay competitive. Hell, the arcade probably needs to be a solid price lower than the Wii for the same reasons.

3. Bluray HD movies just are not enough of the market share for MS to push a add-on for the 360. Right now they have a more financially reasonable solution with DLMovies. They already lost money with the HDDVD add-on and are now trying to stay profitable for the remaining 3yrs of life the 360 has in it.

I see the next xbox and ps3 being bluray players. I don't think Nintendo will though. I bet they will have a proprietary disc built off of red laser with similar storage capabilities. See VMD.

This will not happen. BLU RAY is nowhere near big enough to warrant this. And it wont affect games at all. Just use an extra disc.