By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Updated Sales Comparisons

A few months ago I started working on a sales comparisons of the home consoles for which we have data. Links to the files were available in my signature. Since they were relatively popular, and for my own personal uses, I decided I'd go ahead and update them to include recent sales, along add some different methods of comparisons. I've also added different formats, so that everyone can view them without having to worry about not getting everything as it should be.

I'm not going to post any of them here, simply because even the "report" version is too long to post, and I'm sure few will bother reading it (and if you're going to read it, you'd probably download it anyway).

I have no idea who downloaded the old versions, but here are the updated versions. 

Link to the offline Microsoft Office and OpenOffice files.

GoogleDoc online files: report, spreadsheet, and presentation.

Enjoy (and discuss if you wish).

Edit: Also, I'd like to point out that the report and the presentation are complements to the spreadsheet, a way to summarize what's in the spreadsheet file. But the report and presentation are just two means to one end, so if you want a simplified "viewing" experience, check out the powerpoint/presentation file, because you can kind of just scroll through everything and it's all labeled nicely. The report and presentation contain basically the same thing, so it's just a matter of preference; you don't need both. But to gain all the insights and stuff (and to see my predictions for the next few years, though the predictions aren't set in stone) you need the spreadsheet file.

Around the Network

Well.. where the hell is the data?

You have to download it, because there's just too much stuff. The links are in the post (and in my sig).

Excellent presentation, Stever. I enjoyed the generational and territorial breakdowns. Should make for a very handy tool.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

^^^

are you serious, its in the links?

anyways its pretty cool. Sucks to see Sony go from 102 mil, up to 117+ mil, then down to 11.9...obviously its not done selling, but could be about 20+ million by now if it wasn't so darn expensive.

Around the Network

very nice work!

coolestguyever said:
^^^

are you serious, its in the links?

anyways its pretty cool. Sucks to see Sony go from 102 mil, up to 117+ mil, then down to 11.9...obviously its not done selling, but could be about 20+ million by now if it wasn't so darn expensive.

Well it really would be impossible to put the spreadsheet and powerpoint files on here. The report is about 20 pages long if I recall. Way too much text for most people, probably easier to just download it (since I wouldn't have to fix messed up formats and such).

Also, I'd like to point out that the report and the presentation are complements to the spreadsheet, a way to summarize what's in the spreadsheet file. But the report and presentation are just two means to one end, so if you want a simplified "viewing" experience, check out the powerpoint/presentation file, because you can kind of just scroll through everything and it's all labeled nicely. The report and presentation contain basically the same thing, so it's just a matter of preference, but to gain all the insights and stuff (and to see my predictions for the next few years, though the predictions aren't set in stone) you need the spreadsheet file.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

Some nice info in there.

It would be nice to have this attached somewhere to the site for future reference.

@Machina-AX it did take a pretty long time, but I've been working on it for the last few months. I actually started trying to get it finished at the beginning of this month (since I want it updated quarterly), and have just not posted it, so the data that's in it is already a month out-dated (and could be slightly wrong due to adjustments made in the last few weeks, but I doubt the effect is minimal).

@Devilstation: The articles themselves you can download and keep, and the links will be in my sig, along with the online versions of the report and spreadsheet (the presentation doesn't work very well), so you can always look at them yourselves (and quote whatever part you want). I doubt a section would work all that well, since they're so large. The news sections that Sqrl, TheSource, and others do are probably better, since they focus on very specific topics. Mine is more general in a sense, covering past and current generation sales, and then breaking them down into yearly sales, and then looking at certain statistics, like the percent of lifetime sales during a year.

If anybody would like to add anything, or just talk privately, you can PM or email me.

Thanks for taking the time to look at them.