By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA IV smashes UK day one sales record: 609k (360: 335k PS3 274k)

darthdevidem01 said:
@munkeh111

cool....June 12 seems VERY far away right now..

Most of my friends are trying to wait until around then, but some may pick it up during the half-term gap

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

@munkeh111

how is the game then...did it stop you from revising..the info on the game itself is stopping me from getting on with the revision. God Knows what the game would've done

Amazing, there are just some moments that are simply stunning, like I was driving back to the safehouse and just caught a glimpse of the tops of the Algonquin skyscrapers in the background highlighted by the sun, it is amazing looking at them across the river (but annoying that I can't be there) and just every addition to the game is amazing.

I took yesterday afternoon off work, but I will work again today, and just squeeze a little bit in before I go to bed. I am trying to make up for GTA time by doing extra work at school

Cool, it arrives here tomorrow morning, so I'll be picking it up then. Hopefully they'll have plenty of stock, otherwise they bump the price up.

Very good and even sales. Attach rate higher on the ps3 as expected, quantity higher on 360 as expected.

PS3 will sell more copies in Europe for sure since it was so close in UK.

America will definitely sell more copies on the 360...probably 50% more.

Does GTA sell in in Japan? Probably not.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

GTA does sell in Japan, but it hasn't been released yet.

DragonLord said:
Very good and even sales. Attach rate higher on the ps3 as expected, quantity higher on 360 as expected.

PS3 will sell more copies in Europe for sure since it was so close in UK.

America will definitely sell more copies on the 360...probably 50% more.

Does GTA sell in in Japan? Probably not.

GTA3: 360k
Vice City: 470k
San Andreas: 410k

Compared to the rest of the world, not really, but it still sells quite well.  However it doesn't come out until later this year.

Around the Network

Couple hundred people turned out to my local Game for the midnight launch. Pretty sick, never heard of anything like it in my town.

Baked to perfection.

Who think that GTA IV LTD will be higher than GTA: San Andreas ?

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Coca-Cola said: GTAIV was bundled in with PS3! I expected more from PS3. I'm sure they will have better legs. how much were you expecting? I didn't have any numbers but I was thinking PS3 will definitely sell more than 360. Maybe that was too much. Numbers are great for both consoles. I do think PS3 will sell more if the bundles continue for a while.

Coca-Cola said:
Coca-Cola said: GTAIV was bundled in with PS3! I expected more from PS3. I'm sure they will have better legs. how much were you expecting? I didn't have any numbers but I was thinking PS3 will definitely sell more than 360. Maybe that was too much. Numbers are great for both consoles. I do think PS3 will sell more if the bundles continue for a while.

you do know that theres only 1million ps3's in UK , right. These numbers are amazing for day one.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
celine said:
Who think that GTA IV LTD will be higher than GTA: San Andreas ?

I think so, it's worth comparing:

GTA: San Andreas - crime does pay - BIG

30/Oct/2004

Two years ago Rockstar’s ‘Grand Theft Auto: Vice City’ (PS2) overtook ‘Metal Gear Solid 2’ (PS2) as the fastest selling game in the UK, more than doubling the sales of Konami’s title and breaking a quarter of a million sales in one week. It was thought that no game could smash the records so comprehensively again, but this week ‘Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas’ (PS2) has rewritten the record books, more than doubling Vice City’s launch week sales and breaking half a million sales in one week (575,156 units / £20.6m across all Chart Track panel retailers with estimated total market sales of 677,000 / £24.2m) – and these are the sales over just 2 days of trading (Friday/Saturday).

Incredibly, only 10 PS2 titles have sold more in their whole lifetimes, such is the demand for this title. In 2002 Vice City held on to become the Xmas No1 despite strong competition – there is strong competition again this year so only time will tell if San Andreas can repeat this feat.

Chart-Track

Halo World!

02/Oct/2007

It’s no surprise that Microsoft and Bungie are No1 in the All Formats Chart with ‘Halo 3’. ‘Halo 3’ storms in as the second fastest selling game ever in the UK, behind ‘Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas’.

The UK’s love-affair with Rockstar’s PS2 San Andreas almost 3 years ago is still the benchmark for week 1 and lifetime sales. However, the PS2 installed base back then was around 6.6m (after 4 years) – Microsoft have to make do with ‘just’ 1.4m in less than 2 years. Released on Wednesday 26th September for the first time on Microsoft’s Xbox 360 format, ‘Halo 3’ was bought by 1 in 3 Xbox 360 owners in its first week, whereas 1 in 6 Xbox owners bought ‘Halo 2’ and back in PS2’s heyday (week 44 2004) 1 in 10 PS2 owners bought ‘San Andreas’. Although ‘Halo 3’ had a headstart on San Andreas with 4 days of sales in its first week rather than San Andreas’ 2 days, the launch is still very impressive, helping to more than double the sales of Xbox 360 hardware to the highest level shown this year and even beats Nintendo’s Wii for the first time since week 13 this year.

68% of Xbox 360 software sales this week were of ‘Halo 3’ (compared to 56% of PS2 software for San Andreas’ launch), pushing Microsoft’s format to its highest sales week ever (comfortably beating week 51 2006 which was the previous highest).

Chart-Track

What's so impressive is PS2 installed base was twice as much as the combined 360/PS3 installed base today, but GTA IV still outsold GTA: SA day one, and even taking into account the difference in the number of days in each game's release week, GTA IV will outsell it week one too. Having said that, with a far lower attach rate, and far higher installed base, GTA: SA could have better legs than GTA IV. 

One thing's for sure, GTA is a monster in UK.