By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many gamers own multiple consoles?

i own wii and ps2, i will be getting ps3 soon though

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network

If I think about it ;.I know more persons who own two PS2's than owning two different consoles (Xbox or GC or DC).

87% of statistics are completely made up.

I have all three.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Only in one generation I had two consoles(PS1 and N64).

Around the Network

I have a DS and a PSP only generation where i have to different brands.

That is it.
I have a PS2 and a Wii (Don't match)

and GBA and GBC (no other choices for these two generations)

and i think NPD is a bit low
3%??? i'm thinking more like 15%

When they say current consoles-- what consoles are the referring to?  I'm willing to bet that NPD was only talking about Wii, 360, and PS3, while the other might have included the DS and PSP as well as the Wii, PS3, and 360 (the article TC linked to talked about the DS). 

If you don't include handhelds, I am a one console owner, but if you include handhelds, I am a two system owner.

If that is what is going on (they are defining current consoles differently) then I believe they are both correct with their numbers. 

w3stfa11 said:

I've read two conflicting reports now.

NPD says that only 3% own two systems and 2% own all three. http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-72-of-us-plays-games-online-gaming-still-relatively-small/?biz=1

Gamasutra says 40% own multiple consoles. "In the U.S. over 40% of game households now buy two or more of the current console systems." http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18438

Naturally, I'd trust NPD more, but that number looks really low. Is it really only 3%? Or am I reading something wrong here? I'd picture that percentage last generation but not this generation with the common case of Wii for family and PS360 for gamers.

5%  (3+2) sounds a little low, but maybe...

40% counts current consoles, and the PS2 and gamecube are still selling (especially the PS2) and thus still current, so I can understand that number, so maybe they are both right, as NPD doesn't count the PS2.

right know i dont, i only have a wii, but i always buy a second console