By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Look at the ratio! Wii - Nintendo best 3rd parties support?

noname2200 

P.S. can someone please tell me how to embed images? My attempts have all failed so far. Thanks.

- Put the mouse pointer over the pic you want to use

- Right click, then go to 'properties'

- Copy the pic's url

- When making your VGC post, click on 'insert/edit image' (the one with the tree pic)

- Paste the url in the top slot

There ya go!

Around the Network
Kenology said:

noname2200

P.S. can someone please tell me how to embed images? My attempts have all failed so far. Thanks.

- Put the mouse pointer over the pic you want to use

- Right click, then go to 'properties'

- Copy the pic's url

- When making your VGC post, click on 'insert/edit image' (the one with the tree pic)

- Paste the url in the top slot

There ya go!

You, sir, are a saint. Many thanks.

^ Not a problem!

Wow seriously people are this blind??? For starters the original poster left off the japanese chart because the wii only has 14% in 3rd party sales on that one....nice to see the original poster giving a fair and blanced view of things. Then the most important part, having a 60% 3rd party sales ratio isn't good or anything to brag about when the 360 and ps3 have 80-95% 3rd party sales ratios.

Interesting. But isn't it quite often Wii supporters who are claiming of a lack of 3rd party support?

Or are these 60% high sales from a small group of games?

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
Interesting. But isn't it quite often Wii supporters who are claiming of a lack of 3rd party support?

Or are these 60% high sales from a small group of games?

Neither, actually. It's the Wii's detractors who routinely say that Nintendo can't attract third parties, and so consequently the Wii is somehow doomed to fail. I'm certain you can see the holes in that argument, so we needn't go into detail ourselves.

The 60% is actually spread out amongst several games, meaning that many companies realize good profits from the Wii, rather than a few companies making massive amounts. See for example the top ten list, which has two third party games on it. I also strongly consider anyone who responds to this post to consider the first sentence of this paragraph before making any points about the second. Furthermore, I ask anyone who thinks 60% is too low a figure for third parties to take a look at the sales chart here on this site.

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&console=Wii&publisher=&genre=&keyword=&order=Sales

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&console=X360&publisher=Microsoft&genre=&keyword=&order=Sales

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&console=PS3&publisher=Sony+Computer+Entertainment&genre=&keyword=&order=Sales

Notice that so many of Nintendo's offerings are multi-million sellers, and that Nintendo has released far more first party games than Microsoft or Sony. Sony has released 19 titles so far for the PS3, only four of which are platinum. Microsoft has released 21 games, 8 of which are million sellers. Nintendo has released 25 games, 16 of which are platinum. In short, it's not that third parties are doing poorly on the Wii, it's that Nintendo is doing far and away the best of the three first-parties. Far and away better. They're doing better than any third party, even though they only publish games for two of the six viable systems, not including the PC. It is hardly surprising that the percentage of Wii games sold skews in their favor. 

This is supported by other data. Ask Viper1 for a comparison of third party sales in the past month: he'll be happy to educate you. Heck, just search for his thread, the data's all there if you're interested. Many third parties are actively crediting the Wii for their recent financial successes. So I would submit to Aj_habfan, cookingyourmama, and others  that the situation for third parties on the Wii is in fact quite healthy. But if you have the data to prove otherwise, please submit it for evaluation, as I'm interested to see what the rest of us are missing.

cookingyourmama said:
Then the most important part, having a 60% 3rd party sales ratio isn't good or anything to brag about when the 360 and ps3 have 80-95% 3rd party sales ratios.

Actually, 60% is something to brag about when you're competing with the most talented 1st party developer on the planet in Nintendo.

Nintendo can carry it's systems on 1st party software alone... Sony and MS cannot, and thus, rely far more heavily on 3rd party support.  The biggest game of this gen for XBox 360 and PS3 is a 3rd party title (GTAIV). 

Kenology said:
cookingyourmama said:
Then the most important part, having a 60% 3rd party sales ratio isn't good or anything to brag about when the 360 and ps3 have 80-95% 3rd party sales ratios.

Actually, 60% is something to brag about when you're competing with the most talented 1st party developer on the planet in Nintendo.

Nintendo can carry it's systems on 1st party software alone... Sony and MS cannot, and thus, rely far more heavily on 3rd party support. The biggest game of this gen for XBox 360 and PS3 is a 3rd party title (GTAIV).

Well sony's first party console support is argueabley as good as nintendo's but that's not the point. Right now despite having a 6 million lead over the 360's hardware installbase the wii still can't outsell the 360 in weekly worldwide 3rd party sales. Forget percentages here, until the wii can sell as many units of 3rd party software as it's competition then it will continue to be critised.

Shameless said:
Neos said:
Shameless said:
I'm finding it very hard to see where all the third party sales are coming from, especially in America. Unless they are omitting Wii-sports and Wii-play games or counting Mario & Sonic as third party, something is very wrong.

Mario and sonic is third party, there is no discussion possible.

Really? Including Nintendo's biggest mascot makes the game virtually first party, and I thought that Nintendo and Sega both published it.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (マリオ&ソニック AT 北京オリンピック Mario ando Sonikku atto Pekin Orinpikku?, lit. "Mario & Sonic at the Beijing Olympics") is a sports game developed and published by Sega for North America and Europe and published by Nintendo for Japan.

Does that make FFVII a first party title for Sony?

cookingyourmama said:
Kenology said:
cookingyourmama said:

Nintendo can carry it's systems on 1st party software alone... Sony and MS cannot, and thus, rely far more heavily on 3rd party support. The biggest game of this gen for XBox 360 and PS3 is a 3rd party title (GTAIV).

Well sony's first party console support is argueabley as good as nintendo's but that's not the point. Right now despite having a 6 million lead over the 360's hardware installbase the wii still can't outsell the 360 in weekly worldwide 3rd party sales. Forget percentages here, until the wii can sell as many units of 3rd party software as it's competition then it will continue to be critised.

That's an excellent rebuttal...from a year ago.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=719967

There's a lot more data out there that shows that third party sales on the Wii are already past those of the 360, despite having fewer big-budget titles. I'll repeat what I said in first post: I am willing to listen to contrary viewpoints, but since I've shown some of the data to support my arguments, I'll need you to do the same. Otherwise, I'll have to assume you're wrong, because an argument without support is as useful as Bush without Rove.

P.S. I'll be taking off for a few hours, so please use that time to marshall some good stuff to greet me upon my 'triumphant' return. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.