By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Flop or Not: XBOX 360 Edition!

I'll say

Hit.
Hit.
Flop.
Flop.
Hit.
Uncertain.

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"
Around the Network

NG2 = Not
Fable 2 = Not
Too Human = Possible hit
BK3 = Hopefully not flop
Gears = No way flop
Fallout 3 = Not

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

The hostility towards Fallout 3 is utterly misplaced. The hostility towards Bethesda is equally misplaced. Bethesda saves this series from oblivion. The last title in the series got horrendous scores, and the developer had went under. Had Bethesda not purchased the intellectual property that is Fallout you would have almost no chance of ever seeing the franchise again.

Where there is life there is hope. You may not like the design of the new title, but if it is successful you will probably see new iterations in the series. Were it to be a critical disaster Bethesda would bury the property in shame, and may never use it again. Interplay would probably abandon their plans for a MMO, and the fans would never have a chance of seeing their dreams fulfilled.

The fans of the series better hope this title does not fail. Otherwise it could be the end of the series. Were this game to perform well you would invariably get a Fallout 4, 5, 6. Interplay would also probably move ahead with their massive online project. They could get some great venture capital if this title is very successful. Were this title to flop they probably couldn't attract the venture capitol they need to make it happen.

Be disappointed by the new direction, but don't hate on the series or Bethesda. Take it in stride and hope that the next title in the series is more to your liking, or hope that the success will result in Interplay getting you what you want. That will most likely not happen if this title flops, and if it does flop you could probably kill Fallout goodbye. Essentially the most hollow of victories. You win nothing and lose everything all in the name of nostalgia.

So if Fallout 3 were just named "Postapocalyptic Warzone Adventure" then people would be rooting for it? I guess I didn't realize the Fallout crowd were so upset, but then again I don't follow PC-land very closely.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

5 mill +
GoW2

1.5-2.5 mill
NGII, Fable

500k-1.5 mill
BK, Too Human

I don't know Fallouts history so ill leave it out...

Around the Network
Dodece said:
The hostility towards Fallout 3 is utterly misplaced. The hostility towards Bethesda is equally misplaced. Bethesda saves this series from oblivion. The last title in the series got horrendous scores, and the developer had went under. Had Bethesda not purchased the intellectual property that is Fallout you would have almost no chance of ever seeing the franchise again.

Where there is life there is hope. You may not like the design of the new title, but if it is successful you will probably see new iterations in the series. Were it to be a critical disaster Bethesda would bury the property in shame, and may never use it again. Interplay would probably abandon their plans for a MMO, and the fans would never have a chance of seeing their dreams fulfilled.

The fans of the series better hope this title does not fail. Otherwise it could be the end of the series. Were this game to perform well you would invariably get a Fallout 4, 5, 6. Interplay would also probably move ahead with their massive online project. They could get some great venture capital if this title is very successful. Were this title to flop they probably couldn't attract the venture capitol they need to make it happen.

Be disappointed by the new direction, but don't hate on the series or Bethesda. Take it in stride and hope that the next title in the series is more to your liking, or hope that the success will result in Interplay getting you what you want. That will most likely not happen if this title flops, and if it does flop you could probably kill Fallout goodbye. Essentially the most hollow of victories. You win nothing and lose everything all in the name of nostalgia.

The hostility isn't misplaced. Some things are better left dead. Bethesda is trampling on the former greatness of Fallout and turning it into an Oblivion-esque piece of shit that is only Fallout in name. It lacks the spirit of the former games because Bethesda is too chickenshit to do it right and do the Fallout name justice.

And let me guess... You've never played Fallout 1 or 2. I haven't met anyone who played either of those games and is happy about what Bethesda is doing to the series.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

starcraft said:
ssj12 said:
starcraft said:
MANUELF said:
1.- Average
2.- Hit
3.- Flop
4.- Flop, too "kiddie" for a "hardcore" userbase
5.- Big Hit
6.- Hit
Guitar Hero and Rock Band say hi.
the GH and RB agrument is different, they are more specialized and hit the market where hardcore and casual gamers dreams come true.

Figures show since these games have come out, more people have taken up lessons to play the instruments.

1- hit
2- hit
3- flop
4- flop
5- hit
6- flop
But thats just it.  Banjo Kazooie can also be perceived as either hardcore or casual.  It certainly has "kiddie" graphics, but it is also a very distinguised platformer (based on the series' history).  I certainly don't think it will flop.  I don't think Too Human will either, but it certainly won't sell well.  It will probably sell decently, but whether it sells enough to justify the rest of the trilogy being made is in doubt.
I think it hinges on the amount of the 360 audience that really thinks all the "Ninty teh kiddiez" drivel seen on the Internet.  Because the EXACT SAME things they say about Nintendo games can be said about the B-K games.  If the best platformer series ever is too uncool for them, so will the second best be.  And I don't think Kameo is a good indicator as the selection was lean enough in those days to override petty prejudices if there was decent gameplay to be had. 

And all that is assuming Rare still has the magic. 

[edit:  Just to spell it out, you are correct that GH, RB, etc. are at least equally casual/hardcore bridging, but they are not perceived as such by much of the 360/PS3 userbase -- perhaps because they themselves are the ones who are playing GH or RB but see themselves as so much more hardcore than the Marioboys.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I think the ONLY flop here maybe To Human.

Those who dont think Banjo Kazooie will sell. I think will be in for a surprise. The same team working on it, and as a big N64 player it's an IP many of those will be loking at closely.

FaRmLaNd said:
Because everyone wants fallout 3 to fail.
Um no they dont. There is millions of people out there who love Bethesda and have played their games form before Elder scrolls 1. I'm a massive fan, and still think Almost all games feel limited after playing Oblivion. Cant wait for Fallout 3. 

Three of these games are must buy for me (NG2, GOW2, Fable 2) regardless of review. BK3 and TH are wait-and-see. Never played Fallout, so I'll probably pass. TH will probably flop. What's the budget on that game anyway? Supposedly very large. Doubt Silicon Knights will break even.