By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Who wins xbox360 sales Vs. Wii sales

"Who will hit first the pre-estimated numbers and when? Xbox 360 => 10 000 000 Wii => 8 000 000 " Wii will hit 8m first, but both will be done in June. As for rest see my sig.

Around the Network

Soon to be Wii!

thibje said:
Who will hit first the pre-estimated numbers and when?

Xbox 360 => 10 000 000
Wii => 8 000 000

My prediction
1st ) Xbox 360 => 10 000 000 => 10/06/07
2nd) Wii => 8 000 000 => 17/06/07

I honestly think that the Wii already matched or passed the 360's sales. Remember that MS uses 2 very questionable means of counting sales. The 1st is that their sales are those to retailers not sales to end users. And 2nd, they actually count replacement consoles as sales which they most certainly are not. My personal estimate is that at least 20-30% of the 360 sales were actually replacements since as far as I know, almost all 1st generation 360s failed after 1 year. I may be wrong with my estimate but if that is true, then the real numbers should be:

360 -> 7,000,000 to 8,000,000
Wii -> 8,000,000

Youre way wrong Marc - no WAY in hell are 2 to 3 million xboxes defective

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Quantum-Tarantino said:

Between my friends and family:

7 xbox 360s all purchased at different times months apart.
7 dead xbox 360's

7 replacements received
1 replacement was dead on arrival
1 replacement for the replacement received

I am being generous with the 20-30%. But regardless, MS counts those 7 sales as 15 sold consoles. This is not right.

Around the Network
Quantum-Tarantino said:
I would not be terrible surprised. Everyone I know with a 360 right now had to replace it at one point or another.  Many gaming journalists report replacing theirs 3+ times.  Those are *very telling*.

marc said:
Quantum-Tarantino said:

7 dead xbox 360's

7 replacements received

I am being generous with the 20-30%. But regardless, MS counts those 7 sales as 15 sold consoles. This is not right.

Does it really matter what MS counts. All of the chart tracking on this site, NDP, etc are based on retail stores, not what MS states. Since replacements don't go through walmart, it wouldn't be counted.

marc said:
thibje said:
Who will hit first the pre-estimated numbers and when?

Xbox 360 => 10 000 000
Wii => 8 000 000

My prediction
1st ) Xbox 360 => 10 000 000 => 10/06/07
2nd) Wii => 8 000 000 => 17/06/07

I honestly think that the Wii already matched or passed the 360's sales. Remember that MS uses 2 very questionable means of counting sales. The 1st is that their sales are those to retailers not sales to end users. And 2nd, they actually count replacement consoles as sales which they most certainly are not. My personal estimate is that at least 20-30% of the 360 sales were actually replacements since as far as I know, almost all 1st generation 360s failed after 1 year. I may be wrong with my estimate but if that is true, then the real numbers should be:

360 -> 7,000,000 to 8,000,000
Wii -> 8,000,000

You are wrong. On at least two counts.

Firstly, the numbers VGcharts reports is sell through from shops, in the same way as NPD/Media Create/etc does (Although with a smaller sample). Microsoft sends replacement Xboxes directly to the consumer, they do not force people to buy a new one or get them to get it from a store. Therefore, the numbers on this website are sell through. This means almost 10 million Xbox 360's sold.

Secondly, this means one of two things:

1) Microsoft does not count replacement systems as sold (unless they are new systems, perhaps. Which makes sense, since they will often be fixed up systems that have been sent in previously, they would not count the same system twice)
2) Less than 1 million consoles are defective, since the dfference between VGChartz sold and MS sold ~ 1 million. This does not include those sitting on store shelves around the world.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

marc said:
Quantum-Tarantino said:

7 dead xbox 360's

7 replacements received

Coincidence.

Quantum-Tarantino said:

Yeah, that is way too much. The red ring of death is a plague, but not a catastrophe. Funny how the Playstation 2 was last generation's console that broke down easily, and now it's the Xbox 360.