By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
starcraft said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Sorry for your loss, man. :P

Man, I sure hope that never happens to me. Actually, is there any way to save your profile so your achievements and stuff don't go lost when/if your X360 gives you the RROD?

Rrod doesn't effect your harddrive. You keep your HDD and send in the console itself. Then you just attach the HDD to the console they send back.

@OP.

Due to the inherrent flaws in Sony's online system, flaws that cannot be rectified due to the fact developers were never told to plan for changes, Sony's PS3 online will never catch the 360's.

Fortunately, Microsoft seems to be clearing up Rrod, so whatever console they send back, be it new, repaired or refurbished, it is likely to be Rrod free.

Actually, even if your Harddrive dies, you don't lose anything.  Your saves and such are backed up on Xbox Live servers.  My brother had to have his harddrive replaced, and Microsoft said not to worry, his stuff was saved on Live. We didn't believe them, but when the replacement drive was in, Xbox Live just downloaded all his stuff back onto the drive.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network

Really bad timing... GTA IV is coming up soon. Call MS soon to get a coffin, you need a console.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

ZenfoldorVGI said:
mrstickball said:
Get it repaired. Chances are, you'll get the near-unbreakable Falcon, and not suffer form paranoia via RROD.

Is there any evidence that the Falcon RRoD's less than the older models? Also, is there any way to gurantee you get a Falcon? Finally, is there any way to get rid of that paranoia even if I had a console that I knew was immune to RRoD?

For me, there's not. 

The whole issue with the RROD and reliability problem is based entirely on antecdoal information. The 33% fail rate, everything, was built on consumers compiling information concerning what the lifespan was on the 360s. Therefore there is no "solid proof" outside of a few retailer documents on how the problem occurred. That is, until you rely alot of antecdotal information, which proved the issue rather solidly.

So for Falcon RROD issues: are they still there? Probably. But the big thing is, there have been VERY FEW documented cased of Falcons RRODing on major Gaming forums. Look at our own proofs from the Microsoft forums: 0 threads have been created about RRODed consoles that are Falcon models. We've had 2 posters claim it in other forums, and such, but neither (Capt. Preferences being one of them), offered any sort of information that would prove it was a Falcon.

A few Falcon discussions:

http://xbox360.qj.net/Ben-Heck-tests-Xbox-360-Falcon-cooler-than-2007-Zephyr-model/pg/49/aid/112801

Here we go, the NEOGaf Master Chart:

This chart compiled ALL of NeoGAF's RROD experiences since the official 8,000 post thread about Xbox 360 failures started. To quote Psycotext, the creator of the chart (who compiled the master list of RROD'ed 360s):

In the figures so far are 1155 dead / replaced 360s, 3 of which were falcon models (rs7k got 3 machines with bad drives from a store).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148060&page=80

So, 3 of 1,155 X360s on their masterthread are RROD'ed X360s. That's 8 months since Falcons have been out, and 3 dead Falcon 360s. That's rather convincing, no?

Now, as for confirming if your unit is a Falcon, we've been over this a few times, but to re-iterate: you can tell pretty easily, even at the store. You should be able to find the Mfg. date on the box (as you can see the SN, typically, without opening the package). If they allow you to open the package, the easiest way is to check the PSU (Power Supply), and see what wattage the unit has. The old, faulty units ran off of 205-ish watts. The new Falcons run off of 175-ish watts. Therefore, you cannot get a old PSU with a new X360. It won't work. So thats a way to 100% confirm that your 360 is a Falcon.

So there. There are your facts.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:

Thanks disolitude, that's pretty cool. Still, I don't get why they haven't fixed the RODD-problem yet. It's been happening to lots of people since the game launched, and they haven't done anything about it. Pretty lame.

@starcraft

Really? I was under the impression that they weren't doing anything to fix it. Well, that's what I heard from people I know anyway. 

Starcraft tends to over exagerate with his fanboishness concerning online capabilities but most of the time he's still fun to argue with. Just remeber that you never have to pay for PSN and Home is coming soon (when hell freezes over apparently). Also, I beleive MS is trying to fix the RRoD issue, however, if it happened to me I certainly wouldn't buy another one I don't personally like getting ripped off for $400 (or nickel and dimed on things that should be free). 

d21lewis said:
smbu2000 said:
disolitude said:
@smbu2000

I've never heard of a Sega Saturn breaking...ever!

Well I've had two go down on me.  

smbu2000, I don't know what the hell you said after this sentence. Also, if I comprehend correctly, you are now my idol.

Hmm, I wonder what 2 Saturns would be like. Would they help cure prostate cancer?

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
mrstickball said:
Get it repaired. Chances are, you'll get the near-unbreakable Falcon, and not suffer form paranoia via RROD.

Is there any evidence that the Falcon RRoD's less than the older models? Also, is there any way to gurantee you get a Falcon? Finally, is there any way to get rid of that paranoia even if I had a console that I knew was immune to RRoD?

For me, there's not. 

The whole issue with the RROD and reliability problem is based entirely on antecdoal information. The 33% fail rate, everything, was built on consumers compiling information concerning what the lifespan was on the 360s. Therefore there is no "solid proof" outside of a few retailer documents on how the problem occurred. That is, until you rely alot of antecdotal information, which proved the issue rather solidly.

So for Falcon RROD issues: are they still there? Probably. But the big thing is, there have been VERY FEW documented cased of Falcons RRODing on major Gaming forums. Look at our own proofs from the Microsoft forums: 0 threads have been created about RRODed consoles that are Falcon models. We've had 2 posters claim it in other forums, and such, but neither (Capt. Preferences being one of them), offered any sort of information that would prove it was a Falcon.

A few Falcon discussions:

http://xbox360.qj.net/Ben-Heck-tests-Xbox-360-Falcon-cooler-than-2007-Zephyr-model/pg/49/aid/112801

Here we go, the NEOGaf Master Chart:

This chart compiled ALL of NeoGAF's RROD experiences since the official 8,000 post thread about Xbox 360 failures started. To quote Psycotext, the creator of the chart (who compiled the master list of RROD'ed 360s):

In the figures so far are 1155 dead / replaced 360s, 3 of which were falcon models (rs7k got 3 machines with bad drives from a store).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148060&page=80

So, 3 of 1,155 X360s on their masterthread are RROD'ed X360s. That's 8 months since Falcons have been out, and 3 dead Falcon 360s. That's rather convincing, no?

Now, as for confirming if your unit is a Falcon, we've been over this a few times, but to re-iterate: you can tell pretty easily, even at the store. You should be able to find the Mfg. date on the box (as you can see the SN, typically, without opening the package). If they allow you to open the package, the easiest way is to check the PSU (Power Supply), and see what wattage the unit has. The old, faulty units ran off of 205-ish watts. The new Falcons run off of 175-ish watts. Therefore, you cannot get a old PSU with a new X360. It won't work. So thats a way to 100% confirm that your 360 is a Falcon.

So there. There are your facts.

Very impressive.  This sort of information needs to be publicized more because there is so much anti-360 propaganda out there.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

"Oh, he can be.... He just chooses not to.

I gotta stop with these obscure references nobody will get. "

I believe that is from Stargate when O'neill (that's with two L's) is talking to Baal.

Ya good job mrstickball

I am getting the distinct feeling that I am about to get my second set of red rings and GTA IV is only 5 days away. Been getting weird problems while playing Saints Row. Last time it was right before Bioshock, I hope it doesn't happen before another big game.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Microsoft has 3 year warranty. Send it in and get it fixed for free.
It's worth keeping it.