By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Never been a better time to be a gamer! True or false? (Poll)

Now is the best time to be a gamer...

True 15 34.88%

False 27 62.79%

Comments. 1 2.33%

Total:43
LegitHyperbole said:

I just don't understand it. If you want creativity go Indie, that's where the creativity went. It's like people aren't diving into the indie scene. I made a thread on the best Indie games at around 5 euro that are widely reviewed above 90 and the list is growing massively. Then there's the expensive Indie that is basically AA games these days. You can spend 15 euro and have a month of access to hundreds of games on a few different services. You can so easily never be fooled about wheter a game is good or not because of the internet. You can spend all your time on one game if you choose on a MP or a GOOD GaaS game or MMO and many people do and not have to spend a dime. We have MP games that work across time and space with anyone anywhere in the world. We have dev support for games post release so if you buy a shit game (No man's sky and the like) perhaps it's best to check in later and you might regain your value for money even though you shouldn't fall for a shit game with the internet. We have sales that are absolutely insane, ones you'd never find in a brick and mortor store and to that matter we are no longer at gamestops whim for better or worse, I say better. We have VR which is some of the coolest gaming tech ever made and so many great games if you choose or can buy in.... you can spend all your time there for that matter there's so much content. We have Hanheld PC's now, which alone you can pretty much play any game from the past or buy a cheap laptop and emulate anything you want. We have more games than there ever has been in the history of gaming to choose from. I'm only taking part in a small section of this content at the moment on PS4 and sometimes Switch for the most part and sometimes VR on Quest 2 and PSVR1 and I'm so well fed I can't even see the reason for upgrading to ps5 and probably wouldn't if my pro wasn't overheating but soon, in less than a month I'll have the ps5 catalogue to browse and choose what to play on good sales as I make my way through everything that I've missed out on with the odd full release here and there like GTA6.

I can't understand why now is not the best time apart from life circumstances that only give you so much time or energy to play games and take advantage of the tech you own. Like I get working a 10 hour shift, you aren't going to want to put on the VR headset or continue a long RPG or maybe even play a mindless game like Vampire survivors and this could skew your view of gaming bit aside from that you just have to look for the games, they may be floating around in massive amounts of sewage but they are there, they do exist and that's coming from someone who really tries to stay away from steam as much as I can.

People love to live in the past and dont want to let go of their favorites. They are upset because they cant do their console warring because the lines between all platforms is thinner than it has been in the previous generations.

For years I was like that too and held the SNES and its games as the best platform - its one of the best but not the best or only best.

Its the perfect time to get into gaming as a new consumer, a person who wants to get back into gaming but left or a person who has been consuming video games for years.

There's plenty of games coming out, both new and old, and most important of all the availability on the number of platforms.

Playstation, Nintendo, Xbox, iOS, android, PC and on top of that all the extra hardware out there you can get into that fits your needs whether if you want to stream a game, play a game digitally, physically , on a portable device or play on a high premium powered device.

On top of that, yes games have been more expensive at the price of $70 but majority of games go down in price fairly quick, you just need to know where to look  and thankfully there are tools out there you can use to find great deals of which none existed in the 1990s or 2000s.

There's just so many different options out there, I wish we had these options in the 1990s and 2000s. (Kinda like how I wish I had my smartphone while growing up in the late 90s or 2000s lol).

Edit: Its also a great time to be a movie/tv show viewer and a music consumer. There's enough games, music, movies, tv shows, etc to last multiple lifetimes.

Last edited by BasilZero - 3 hours ago

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Chrkeller said:

True because of PC. Steam and emulation means I can play pretty much any game ever made.

I see that argument made a lot in this thread. Yet that's bypassing the question.

Otherwise the best time to be a reader is now, best time to be a movie watcher is now, best time to be an art lover is now, best time to be a music lover is now, best time to be a collector is now. Every creative industry you have access to all older created stuff. That doesn't make now the golden age for any of those creative industries.

So that argument just renders the question moot.

As far as excitement for gaming, late 90's early 2000s had the biggest dreams come true. Rapid advancements, new genres and IPs springing up monthly. Exciting new hardware coming out and new ways to play. Real competition driving creativity and keeping prices stable.

Today that excitement is mostly gone. Lot of talk about diminishing returns, price of HW, price of games, invasive practices, people getting fired all over the place, studios closing, games taking many years to develop, UE5 woes, and so on.

You're a VR user though, how did the VR train not give you the excitement of those times and more? And you mention creativity, some of the most creative games are in that space... that one time based puzzle game where you play with previous versions of yourself to complete puzzles as one example. There was never anything as creative as that before it. 

SvennoJ said:
Chrkeller said:

True because of PC. Steam and emulation means I can play pretty much any game ever made.

I see that argument made a lot in this thread. Yet that's bypassing the question.

Otherwise the best time to be a reader is now, best time to be a movie watcher is now, best time to be an art lover is now, best time to be a music lover is now, best time to be a collector is now. Every creative industry you have access to all older created stuff. That doesn't make now the golden age for any of those creative industries.

As far as excitement for gaming, late 90's early 2000s had the biggest dreams come true. Rapid advancements, new genres and IPs springing up monthly. Exciting new hardware coming out and new ways to play. Real competition driving creativity and keeping prices stable.

Today that excitement is mostly gone. Lot of talk about diminishing returns, price of HW, price of games, invasive practices, people getting fired all over the place, studios closing, games taking many years to develop, UE5 woes, and so on.

Personal opinion, today is still the most exciting.  More games being released than ever before.  Great mix of AAA and indie.  Tons of great titles to enjoy.   Tons of creative games with indies such as Cocoon.  

Edit

And Nintendo has never been better.  The switch is loaded with amazing titles.

I think gaming is at its Apex.  The 90s had major droughts between releases and I think people forget how broken older games were.  

Many, IMO, seem down on gaming, because exclusives died.  I think people took a lot of pride in exclusives.  

Metaphor and Unicorn Overlord both look amazing, but I haven't found the time.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - 3 hours ago

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

In the indie landscape, absolutely. Tons of unique experiences with plenty of heart, affordable prices and the devolpers of which understand what people love about videogames and what they don't want to cope with. Essentially: games made by gamers, for gamers. Most of my best videogame experiences of the last decade came from them.

In the mainstream/AA/AAA landscape? Lol, no. First party and big third party names treat consumers and their own medium like absolute garbage: games launching half-baked, games more expensive than ever, paid online, retro catalogue only partially available and via subscriptions (no ownership), micro transactions everywhere, tons of paid DLC that in previous decades would have been included with the game at launch, many games being designed exclusively by a marketing team with zero heart in them...

It's a mixed bag. In my humble opinion, 7-8th gen was peak in terms of satisfaction.

LegitHyperbole said:
SvennoJ said:

You're a VR user though, how did the VR train not give you the excitement of those times and more? And you mention creativity, some of the most creative games are in that space... that one time based puzzle game where you play with previous versions of yourself to complete puzzles as one example. There was never anything as creative as that before it. 

It did. PSVR1 made me feel like I was back in the late 90s again. So many fun experimental games, developers trying to figure out what was all possible with the HW. Many studios giving VR a try with extra modes or short experiences, like Tomb Raider, Star Wars, The Last Guardian, LA Noire, next to lots of creative new games and experiences. The Joshua Bell experience looked extremely promising for VR video, so well done. VR video with parallax. It was one of a kind :/

That was 2016-2019 though. Today VR is still great but ignored by most established studios as well as the mainstream game press. PSVR2 looks like it will sell less than PSVR1 and any hype is mostly negative towards it.

PSVR1 days were more creative while today eg Astrobot snubbed VR entirely. If it weren't for many Quest ports, the PSVR2 library would also look quite bare.

And as great as the early days of the revival of VR were, the excitement was still far greater in the naughties. Halo 3 launching was an event. Midnight launches with people lining up around the block. Camping out in line to get their hands on new HW or high profile releases. Now we have to deal with scalpers snatching up inventory before it even gets to stores.

And more and more game stores are closing, how can now be the best time to be a gamer? Access to older hardware and pre-played games is going down. The second hand market is getting squeezed out.

Not to piss on PSVR2, there are still plenty creative games. 7th Guest adding volumetric video for characters is very cool in VR. And indeed The last clock winder using copies of your own motions to complete puzzles is very creative and fun. Yet with PSVR1 these kind of new ideas and releases happened on a monthly basis.

PSVR1 was simply better game wise. More people put up with the insane mess setting up and keeping PSVR1 going was with the breakout box, camera placement, ambient light issues, infernal move controllers. The mood was anything is possible, a new era of gaming has started. The mood today is, Sony has abandoned PSVR2, where are the hybrid games, just play wonky PCVR VR mods.

Around the Network

To quote Charles Dickens (loosely): "It is the best of times, it is the worst of times".

Best of times:
- we have access to almost all great games of the last 50 years
- we can play them as close to the original as possible (if we want to), f.e. on original hardware or on FPGA-based hardware like the "Analogue 3D"
- we can play many of them now with better graphics (higher resolution, better antialiasing, texture-upgrade, better post-processing, added HDR, added raytracing...) thanks to faster PCs, PC-mods, Remasters, Remakes, Xbox "X-Enhancements", PS-Pro enhancements...
- we can play many of them now with better performance (higher framerates, better frametimes, frame generation...) thanks to faster PCs, Remasters, Remakes, Xbox "fps- Boost", PS-Pro boost...
- we can play them on bigger and better displays (huge 4K TVs, OLED, HDR...)
- we can play many games, which were only playable on stationary systems now "on the go" (Switch versions, Steam Deck, ROG Ally, iOS and Android ports...)
- we can play hundred of "official" VR games and thousands of games with VR-mods (f.e. UEVR)

Worst of times:
- development time gets longer and longer (f.e. GTA, Elder Scrolls, Naughty Dog's output)
- most new releases aren't finished on release day, early buyers are beta testers
- less hardware optimization for most new releases
- higher prices for new releases
- many of us have less time to play games (work, family...)

Last edited by Conina - 2 hours ago

BasilZero said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I just don't understand it. If you want creativity go Indie, that's where the creativity went. It's like people aren't diving into the indie scene. I made a thread on the best Indie games at around 5 euro that are widely reviewed above 90 and the list is growing massively. Then there's the expensive Indie that is basically AA games these days. You can spend 15 euro and have a month of access to hundreds of games on a few different services. You can so easily never be fooled about wheter a game is good or not because of the internet. You can spend all your time on one game if you choose on a MP or a GOOD GaaS game or MMO and many people do and not have to spend a dime. We have MP games that work across time and space with anyone anywhere in the world. We have dev support for games post release so if you buy a shit game (No man's sky and the like) perhaps it's best to check in later and you might regain your value for money even though you shouldn't fall for a shit game with the internet. We have sales that are absolutely insane, ones you'd never find in a brick and mortor store and to that matter we are no longer at gamestops whim for better or worse, I say better. We have VR which is some of the coolest gaming tech ever made and so many great games if you choose or can buy in.... you can spend all your time there for that matter there's so much content. We have Hanheld PC's now, which alone you can pretty much play any game from the past or buy a cheap laptop and emulate anything you want. We have more games than there ever has been in the history of gaming to choose from. I'm only taking part in a small section of this content at the moment on PS4 and sometimes Switch for the most part and sometimes VR on Quest 2 and PSVR1 and I'm so well fed I can't even see the reason for upgrading to ps5 and probably wouldn't if my pro wasn't overheating but soon, in less than a month I'll have the ps5 catalogue to browse and choose what to play on good sales as I make my way through everything that I've missed out on with the odd full release here and there like GTA6.

I can't understand why now is not the best time apart from life circumstances that only give you so much time or energy to play games and take advantage of the tech you own. Like I get working a 10 hour shift, you aren't going to want to put on the VR headset or continue a long RPG or maybe even play a mindless game like Vampire survivors and this could skew your view of gaming bit aside from that you just have to look for the games, they may be floating around in massive amounts of sewage but they are there, they do exist and that's coming from someone who really tries to stay away from steam as much as I can.

People love to live in the past and dont want to let go of their favorites. They are upset because they cant do their console warring because the lines between all platforms is thinner than it has been in the previous generations.

For years I was like that too and held the SNES and its games as the best platform - its one of the best but not the best or only best.

Its the perfect time to get into gaming as a new consumer, a person who wants to get back into gaming but left or a person who has been consuming video games for years.

There's plenty of games coming out, both new and old, and most important of all the availability on the number of platforms.

Playstation, Nintendo, Xbox, iOS, android, PC and on top of that all the extra hardware out there you can get into that fits your needs whether if you want to stream a game, play a game digitally, physically , on a portable device or play on a high premium powered device.

On top of that, yes games have been more expensive at the price of $70 but majority of games go down in price fairly quick, you just need to know where to look  and thankfully there are tools out there you can use to find great deals of which none existed in the 1990s or 2000s.

There's just so many different options out there, I wish we had these options in the 1990s and 2000s. (Kinda like how I wish I had my smartphone while growing up in the late 90s or 2000s lol).

Edit: Its also a great time to be a movie/tv show viewer and a music consumer. There's enough games, music, movies, tv shows, etc to last multiple lifetimes.

Exactly. Imagine taking a time machine from back in the 90's to now, gaming here for a few weeks... you'd give up gaming when you went back no matter what age you were. 

Indeed it is, the golden age of TV too, sure you aren't told anymore what is good to watch and you have to take into into your own hands and research to find stuff but it's better than ever.

People take for granted what we have now. 

SvennoJ said:
LegitHyperbole said:

It did. PSVR1 made me feel like I was back in the late 90s again. So many fun experimental games, developers trying to figure out what was all possible with the HW. Many studios giving VR a try with extra modes or short experiences, like Tomb Raider, Star Wars, The Last Guardian, LA Noire, next to lots of creative new games and experiences. The Joshua Bell experience looked extremely promising for VR video, so well done. VR video with parallax. It was one of a kind :/

That was 2016-2019 though. Today VR is still great but ignored by most established studios as well as the mainstream game press. PSVR2 looks like it will sell less than PSVR1 and any hype is mostly negative towards it.

PSVR1 days were more creative while today eg Astrobot snubbed VR entirely. If it weren't for many Quest ports, the PSVR2 library would also look quite bare.

And as great as the early days of the revival of VR were, the excitement was still far greater in the naughties. Halo 3 launching was an event. Midnight launches with people lining up around the block. Camping out in line to get their hands on new HW or high profile releases. Now we have to deal with scalpers snatching up inventory before it even gets to stores.

And more and more game stores are closing, how can now be the best time to be a gamer? Access to older hardware and pre-played games is going down. The second hand market is getting squeezed out.

Not to piss on PSVR2, there are still plenty creative games. 7th Guest adding volumetric video for characters is very cool in VR. And indeed The last clock winder using copies of your own motions to complete puzzles is very creative and fun. Yet with PSVR1 these kind of new ideas and releases happened on a monthly basis.

PSVR1 was simply better game wise. More people put up with the insane mess setting up and keeping PSVR1 going was with the breakout box, camera placement, ambient light issues, infernal move controllers. The mood was anything is possible, a new era of gaming has started. The mood today is, Sony has abandoned PSVR2, where are the hybrid games, just play wonky PCVR VR mods.

Yeah, PSVR 2 has a problem in that regard. I suppose it is in the PC space now and doubtful that'll continue on in the console medium. I still fully intend to grab a cheap used one down the line and I'm positive I'll still be amazed with the library despite it's decline. 

Chrkeller said:
SvennoJ said:

Personal opinion, today is still the most exciting.  More games being released than ever before.  Great mix of AAA and indie.  Tons of great titles to enjoy.   Tons of creative games with indies such as Cocoon.  

Edit

And Nintendo has never been better.  The switch is loaded with amazing titles.

I think gaming is at its Apex.  The 90s had major droughts between releases and I think people forget how broken older games were.  

Many, IMO, seem down on gaming, because exclusives died.  I think people took a lot of pride in exclusives.  

Metaphor and Unicorn Overlord both look amazing, but I haven't found the time.  

Oh, you'll find the time for Metaphor even if you don't sleep. It's the late addictive the first 20 hours. Kinda takes a bit of a dive after that but I'm still hesitant to boot it up incase I end up confused 8 hours later wondering where the time went. 

SvennoJ said:

Well indeed I would answer "yes" to most of your questions lol, except maybe to be a music fan because some artists are no longer alive or doing concerts, hence you can't see them live and being able to see artists live still the most important aspect of being a music fan for me 

I think the wording here is key. You are thinking in "what is the time more quality production was released", but in reality doesn't really matter if you still have acess to old stuff 

The best time to be a cinema fan is of course today. Even if I lost the original exhibition of great movies in theaters (theaters are the best way to experience true cinema, streaming sucks) that are endless retro sessions for classic movies and festivals dedicated to old movies. Considering you live in a big city like I do, but if you live in a small city the odds are you missed lots of great movie regardless of the time anyway. Does it mean this is the best period for cinema? No, but it's indeed the best time to be a cinephile