By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best indie games 5 euro..ish or under.

After playing Vampire survivors I've been sent on a spirit quest to find more titles similar in dopamine levels and unseeming depth from a shallow surface and it would seem there is an indie scene that likes to hit for the 4.99 euro mark or close around it.

I was wondering if we could put a list of games together cause the amount of fun I got out of Vampire survivors alone, and now brotato rivals all the fun I've had all year in spending magnitutes more on big games. It's a VERY difficult space to navigate as there are soooo many titles, I'm wading knee high through a sea of junk titles to pick out something good.  

(Lets disqualify free games for the purposes of the thread and I'll update the list below if the game has good enough reviews unless there is a glowing recomendation with good reasoning) I'll accept games a little above 5 euro by much, let's say a euro or two so games like Hotline Miami while great are just a grade above in expensense at 9.99) The same for dollars. The main goal of the thread is to find the indie games that don't see themselves as hotshit and instead of valuing themselves way to high (Shovel knight at 25 euro for example), actually undercut the value of their game. 

The gems amongst the sea of shit:

Vampire Survivors (4.99)

Brotato (4.99)

Army of Ruin (6.99)

Halls of torment (4.99)

Blood and Bacon (0.99)

Nerd Survivors (6.99)

Rush Rover (4.99)

Table top Racing: World tour (2.99) (plat'd this one, it's great)

One finger death punch (4.99)

One finger death punch 2 (7.99)

Refunct (2.99)

Geometry Dash (4.99)

Gato Roboto (7.99)

Magicat (4.99)

Super Hexagon (2.99)

Pony island (4.99)

Plants Vs Zombies (4.99)

Evorales (4.99)

Picto Quest (6.99) 

20 minutes til dawn (4.99)

Blooddome99 (4.99)

Death must die (4.99)

God of weapons (6.99)

Don't Starve (4.49)

Revenventure (7.99)

Tadpole treble encore (8.99)

The bug butcher (4.99)

Down well (2.99)

The room (4.99)

The room two (4.99)

Tales of the black forest (3.99)

Cube Escape collection (4.99)

Sally face (2.99)

Underground Blossom (4.99)

Mirror (1.99)

Hylics (2.99)

Bloody hell (2.99)

Node buster (2.99)

The binding of issac (4.99)

VVVVVV (4.99)

Hex cells infinite (4.99)

A short hike (7.99)

Monument Valley (7.99)

Rustys retirement (6.99)

Untitled Goose game (7.99) (really underrated game)

Majotori (5.99)

Super flight (2.99)

Thank you to Conina for providing an easy way to find games on steam. If you have any that are missing or on other platforms please shout them out. 

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - 22 hours ago

Around the Network

This is a fun topic. Also a tough one, since most worthwhile indie games land in the $14.99-24.99 range.

Wizorb - $4.99
An entertaining little role-playing adventure using Breakout/Arkanoid mechanics

MagiCat - $4.99
A charming throwback action-platformer with high replay value

Gato Roboto - $7.99
A solid Metroidvania held back only by its short running time.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

This is a fun topic. Also a tough one, since most worthwhile indie games land in the $14.99-24.99 range.

Wizorb - $4.99

MagiCat - $4.99

Gato Roboto - $7.99

It's easier to find greatly reviewed games that are free than it is to find them at this price point. 

Gato Roboto looks fantastic 👌 

Gonna bump this thread. The topic is of considerable interest to me.

LegitHyperbole said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Wizorb - $4.99

MagiCat - $4.99

Gato Roboto - $7.99

It's easier to find greatly reviewed games that are free than it is to find them at this price point. 

Can vouch for Gato Roboto; that game was a lot of fun.

Are you including sales or just base price around $5?

Around the Network
psychicscubadiver said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Can vouch for Gato Roboto; that game was a lot of fun.

Are you including sales or just base price around $5?

Base price. I'm looking for games that set out to enter the market at that price and not games that reduced their price at some point in time. I never came across this price point before, outside of mobile, which is odd cause it seems to be the majority of games on steam, PSN and the switch store, it feels like fishing for golden nuggets but what really fascinates me is the scope of the games and the fun ratio to how simplistic these games can be or how they can make something so simple be so deep. When the stars alighn and they succeed they do so much with so little and give such value that greatly exceeds what they are priced at because they chose to enter the market at such a budget and compete with such a massive amount of similarly priced games. One finger death punch looks like an unbelievable amount of fun. You could live off of these games and be eating well or at least have a side game always going depending on how big this pool is... if the gems or rough diamonds can be fished out. 

It reminds me of the old site Addicting Games from back in the day and how you'd dump hours into trying to get a high score on the Helicopter game. 

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - 3 days ago

Super Hexagon

Vodacixi said:

Super Hexagon

Thank you. Looks superb and the scores are phenomenal. 

Some of my games that were under 5€:

Pony Island. Don't let the name fool (foal?) you, this isn't a game for little girls; hard to tell you more without spoiling anything apart that it's mostly a puzzle game.

Plants vs Zombies. Careful, you won't see the time fly by...

DLC Quest, a short but great game that mocks DLCs and brings them to their logical conclusion, horse armor included

Snowball! Imagine your neighbourly park fully snowed over and as a flipper table, perfect for small breaks

There are also several games that are even completely free that are worth more than just a look. Here's two that have always been free (so not old games that have become freeware after several years of commercial sales):

Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius is a mix of VN and pretty challenging turn-based tactics gameplay with mechas and spaceships that will challenge you quite a bit and comes with a high production value.

Pathos is basically NetHack with 16-bit style graphics and some QoL additions and changes. Also available for mobile phones.

Bought three more of them, Army of Ruin, Rush Rover and Refunct. Three very different games and the easiest for me to play on ps4. You can't go wrong with €13.97...or maybe you can, I'll update on whether they are worthy of being truly great for the price point and if their cost to fun ratio exceeds that expense.

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - 3 days ago