By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be disappointed if "Switch 2" is revealed as Switch PRO? (Poll)

I'd be disappointed with a Switch PRO

Yes 26 52.00%

No 18 36.00%

A bit 1 2.00%

Still excited as Switch 2 5 10.00%

Total:50
LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Like the visuals and layout?  It is a handheld, not sure what else Nin can do

Would have love to see better joy cons, something In the style of PS portal but detachable as one example. More shoulder buttons. A smaller form factor instead of larger, that Switch is already too large for pockets. It fails as a handheld that has reasonable possibility. 

Hopefully there will be better haptics, as someone said above HD Rumble is haptics but I'd like to see better haptics find there way to the triggers aswell. 

Portal has amazing controllers. But is massive.  Way to big for portable. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Would have love to see better joy cons, something In the style of PS portal but detachable as one example. More shoulder buttons. A smaller form factor instead of larger, that Switch is already too large for pockets. It fails as a handheld that has reasonable possibility. 

Hopefully there will be better haptics, as someone said above HD Rumble is haptics but I'd like to see better haptics find there way to the triggers aswell. 

Portal has amazing controllers. But is massive.  Way to big for portable. 

The renders are already way to big for a portable. The Switch itself is already way to big for a portable. There areany ways those controllers could be designed that would fit the bill, have you ever tried to play a game on these with the kickstand on switch? Yes it's doable but it's an awful experience. The controllers are the most in areas that needed upgrading yet they done nothing. Playing Mario Kart 8 on these things is the best it gets and even then...eh, it's so janky. 

Nintendo has said Switch successor before. So, unless they're being weird and planning to launch a Switch Pro in 2025, and then Switch 2 in 2027-2028, it's not a Pro. And even then, what would Nintendo gain from a Pro coming out 8 years later and with the generational leap in graphics that are saved for a successor?
99% chance the new hardware is Switch 2, not Switch Pro.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Like the visuals and layout?  It is a handheld, not sure what else Nin can do

That's too bulky. Switch 1 you can get Hori pro which are excellent. Switch 2 will have plenty of options for 3rd party joycons. I'm sure Hori will do a Pro 2 joycons. Not to mention All those PS Portals are going to drift since Sony controllers drift like crazy.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

LegitHyperbole said:
Pemalite said:

Doesn't matter if it's called the Switch 2 or Switch Pro.

It's a jump in power, it will be backwards compatible... It's just a symbolic name.

We don't know if it'll be BC

Good point.

The_Yoda said:
Pemalite said:

It's a jump in power, it will be backwards compatible... It's just a symbolic name.

If we hadn't seen how the WiiU played out I would have agreed with you.  That said years after release there were still people that thought the WiiU was just an add-on for the Wii.  I think branding matters for the masses.  For geeks like us not so much.  If they want to capitalize on the success the Switch had they need to name it something entirely different or call it Switch 2. 

Call it a Pro and the more casual users will skip it.  Like it or not, Sony's consoles have better reach and their console branding is just easier to follow than Microsoft or Nintendo's. Remember more than half of humanity are morons. Keep it simple stupid.

To appeal to the masses, naming is a big thing.

But for us? The name is irrelevant, we know about it and will upgrade.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:

^ It's just so samey though. If the leaks on hardware are true then it is the safest gen jump in history.

There's no need for them to reinvent the wheel, I just want more of the same. A Switch with better hardware is going to do well unless they really fuck up something big. They said themselves it's a successor so calling it a Switch Pro or something makes no sense.

Would love to have better Joycons but there's no way to know for sure if they changed anything with renders alone.

The_Yoda said:
Pemalite said:

If we hadn't seen how the WiiU played out I would have agreed with you.  That said years after release there were still people that thought the WiiU was just an add-on for the Wii.  I think branding matters for the masses.  For geeks like us not so much.  If they want to capitalize on the success the Switch had they need to name it something entirely different or call it Switch 2. 

Call it a Pro and the more casual users will skip it.  Like it or not, Sony's consoles have better reach and their console branding is just easier to follow than Microsoft or Nintendo's. Remember more than half of humanity are morons. Keep it simple stupid.

Whether or not the system is a success wasn't the question afaik.

I bought the Wii U in 2014 when games started to release and was very happy with it. As long as this new system has backwards compatibility and continues to receive the same quality of software the Switch has received, I will be happy.

If Nintendo somehow screws up the branding again, that's really not my problem or concern.

You mean 45% more GPU power, no cartridge slot and the exact same RAM and CPU for $499.99? Plz, take my money.

Seriously though, at this point I want the next Switch to be at par or better than the Steam Deck. At this point, that's cheap hardware to produce. It would be great for 3rd parties as well because that's enough power to port virtually any game that exists right now to Switch while maintaining surprisingly good performance and visuals at 720p and up.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

You mean 45% more GPU power, no cartridge slot and the exact same RAM and CPU for $499.99? Plz, take my money.

Seriously though, at this point I want the next Switch to be at par or better than the Steam Deck. At this point, that's cheap hardware to produce. It would be great for 3rd parties as well because that's enough power to port virtually any game that exists right now to Switch while maintaining surprisingly good performance and visuals at 720p and up.

I'll be shocked if the S2 isn't a solid jump over the Deck.  The Deck is a solid product but is fsr from being powerful.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'll be shocked if the S2 isn't a solid jump over the Deck.  The Deck is a solid product but is fsr from being powerful.  

Given its Nintendo, I'm fully prepared to be shocked so they can maintain a higher profit. They also need to maintain the sweet spot of $299, in my opinion.

Either way, just something at par with Steam Deck would be awesome.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)