By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR: Nintendo Switch 2 leaked factory images/specs/renders

Leynos said:

But I was told it could not exceed 111GB lol. I kept saying 120 was what was listed. 95GB jump aint too shabby.

Fair enough, assuming the rumors are true, it will hit 120 gb/s.  But to be fair that doesn't change the point.  224 gb/s on the series s is still a massive jump over 120 gb/s.  

I'm happy to start using 120 gb/s for technical correctness, but that doesn't change the overall bottleneck point.  For comparison the ps5 is 448 gb/s while the Pro is 576 gb/s.  So the switch 2, assuming the rumors are true, going up to 120 gb/s doesn't change the story.  

I don't think going from 112 gb/s to 120 gb/s sudden takes Rebirth (as an example) from being difficult to easy, because it has 8 gb/s more than expected.

But I digress, I'll happily amount I was incorrect for saying the max was 112 gb/s, given 120 gb/s is possible, assuming no under clocking.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 20 September 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

New Switch XL.

Chrkeller said:
Leynos said:

But I was told it could not exceed 111GB lol. I kept saying 120 was what was listed. 95GB jump aint too shabby.

Fair enough, assuming the rumors are true, it will hit 120 gb/s.  But to be fair that doesn't change the point.  224 gb/s on the series s is still a massive jump over 120 gb/s.  

I'm happy to start using 120 gb/s for technical correctness, but that doesn't change the overall bottleneck point.  For comparison the ps5 is 448 gb/s while the Pro is 576 gb/s.  So the switch 2, assuming the rumors are true, going up to 120 gb/s doesn't change the story.  

I don't think going from 112 gb/s to 120 gb/s sudden takes Rebirth (as an example) from being difficult to easy, because it has 8 gb/s more than expected.

But I digress, I'll happily amount I was incorrect for saying the max was 112 gb/s, given 120 gb/s is possible, assuming no under clocking.  

Rebirth runs at around 40-50fps on Low settings/720p/DLSS Quality on 2050 laptop (4GB with 112GB/s bandwidth).

If core count and clocks are not too conservative, it will most likely run better on SW2.

HoloDust said:
Chrkeller said:

Rebirth runs at around 40-50fps on Low settings/720p/DLSS Quality on 2050 laptop (4GB with 112GB/s bandwidth).

If core count and clocks are not too conservative, it will most likely run better on SW2.

Rebirth isn't on PC.  You are thinking about Remake.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
HoloDust said:

Rebirth isn't on PC.  You are thinking about Remake.  

Indeed

Around the Network

I think as we've seen with the GA107 chips (2050, 3050, and 3050ti mobile) performance doesn't scale much with memory bandwidth (see: RTX 2050 vs. RTX 3050 comparison from earlier, within 2% of each-other on average, with memory bandwidth being the only difference.)

So 120 GBps probably is a good choice on Nintendo's part.

If the TGP were Series S level and clock rates could go quite high, then maybe the Switch 2 would benefit from more memory bandwidth, but the bottleneck seems to be elsewhere for these lower-end Ampere chips.

No way Nintendo would do something this basic as an official successor. It would be the most un-Nintendo thing of all time and make me legit concerned for their future. Seems far more likely it’s the long rumored switch pro that ended up getting scrapped.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Just for completeness, LPDDR5-7500 has a bandwidth of 60GB/s, meaning that in dual-channel it would reach 120GB/s. This would be quite a jump over the Switch, as that one has LPDDR3/4-1600 (OG Switch had LPDDR3, models from 2019 and later have LPDDR4 with the same speed), resulting in a paltry 25.6GB/s

The maximum data bus width for soldered LPDDR5 is 32-bit, so at 7500 MT/s = 30 GB/s per module.

If I were to hazard a guess it'll be either three 32 Gb modules at 32-bit or six 16 Gb modules at 16-bit, so that's more like 90 GB/s.

Zippy6 said:

I think people expecting all next-gen games to run off a slow SD card are in for a wake-up call. There's a reason PS5 and XS restrict next-gen games to SSD's and not USB HDDS. Storage expansion on Switch 2 may be more expensive than you think.

Or we're in for another gen with awful load times on a Nintendo console. The internal storage is 2100mb/s, a 100mb/s SD isn't going to cut it.

Switch 2 will use SD cards, but probably not the ones you've been using everywhere else.

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsungs-new-microsd-cards-bring-high-performance-and-capacity-for-the-new-era-in-mobile-computing-and-on-device-ai

Hopefully the dock also has an nvme slot or at least support for USB SSDs.

I guess that the SD card slot of Switch 2 only has the purpose to store some games and not to directly play the games from it. Much like you can't play PS5 games from the additional SSD you can put into the PS5.

HyrulianScrolls said:

No way Nintendo would do something this basic as an official successor. It would be the most un-Nintendo thing of all time and make me legit concerned for their future. Seems far more likely it’s the long rumored switch pro that ended up getting scrapped.

They've kind of done it already in a time where innovation was much easier and more meaningful. NES to SNES.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. SNES remains my favourite Nintendo console. And as a 3rd party player first, the Switch 2 (or Super Switch) may match or beat it for me (unless nostalgia intervenes, and it will lol).

I think a truly innovative console would require expensive additional hardware like VR which remains clunky, uncomfortable, and hard to get into.

Nintendo will still innovate via accessories, and if the main accessory finds success and momentum, they might standardize it in their next console.