Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft: Tencent, Guillemot Family Weighing Buyout

Assassin Creed Shadows will...

Succeed 16 29.63%

Fail 19 35.19%

Sell well but fail to meet expectations 16 29.63%

Other.. 3 5.56%

Total:54
IcaroRibeiro said:

Is doomposting video game publishers a hobby of yours?

If so I think you should create one for Square, they have a dedicated haterbase in this forum

Only if it's topical or I'm interested enough. I recently made a thread praising The Witcher 3 for being its brilliant aelf. If Ubosoft's stock and talks of a hostile takeover weren't in the news I'd have not posted this. I also want to see them succeed as you can see, I'd very much prefer them to be making great games and celebrating those games than this but here we are in reality.  

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Is doomposting video game publishers a hobby of yours?

If so I think you should create one for Square, they have a dedicated haterbase in this forum

Only if it's topical or I'm interested enough. I recently made a thread praising The Witcher 3 for being its brilliant aelf. If Ubosoft's stock and talks of a hostile takeover weren't in the news I'd have not posted this. I also want to see them succeed as you can see, I'd very much prefer them to be making great games and celebrating those games than this but here we are in reality.  

CD Projekt Red used to be worth $11bn and are now $4.5bn, are they doomed?

All companies were grossly overvalued during COVID. The hostile takeover talk is from an activist investor who is also advocating for a lot of layoffs too as he talks about bringing Ubisoft size down to those of other publishers, I.E. Thousands of layoffs. He is an investor that nobody ever heard of until a few weeks ago, he owns less than 1% of Ubisoft stock and only started purchasing those stocks in 2023.

Ubisoft fought off Vivendi...Ubisoft has issues but a random investor shit talking isn't a problem unless other investors back him up, Guillemot Family own 13.88% of Ubisoft, Tencent own 9.7% of Ubisoft. The power is still in Yves court as much as I want him gone, this random dude needs a hell of a lot of backing to challenge Yves whose recent moves with Tencent were exactly designed to stop something like this.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 17 September 2024

Ryuu96 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

CD Projekt Red used to be worth $11bn and are now $4.5bn, are they doomed?

All companies were grossly overvalued during COVID. The hostile takeover talk is from an activist investor who is also advocating for a lot of layoffs too as he talks about bringing Ubisoft size down to those of other publishers, I.E. Thousands of layoffs. He is an investor that nobody ever heard of until a few weeks ago, he owns less than 1% of Ubisoft stock and only purchased those stocks a few weeks ago.

Ubisoft fought off Vivendi...Until this investor actually backs his words up there's nothing to worry about from them.

They could have been. They're very lucky to have gotten through that and that Cybperpunl still sold. If they hadn't cheated us with the reviews and not previewing 8th gen they'd have sank after Cybperpunk, I have no doubt. 

And hopefully so. 

Reading more about the investor, I don't get the feeling he gives a shit about Ubisoft, I think he just wants a quick payday, Lol. It's weird to see him talk all kinds of shit about Yves and Tencent in the letter but also say Ubisoft should go private with Tencent as a significant shareholder...He only started acquiring shares in 2023 as well...I've a feeling he wants to sell his shares at a premium to an acquirer.

Yves made moves to stop this exact scenario from happening again, with Tencent, I don't see Ubisoft going private without Tencent being a significant shareholder like the guy wants, in effect Tencent will own Ubisoft, but then Tencent would probably still keep Yves on as CEO. Who else is going to challenge Tencent for the company? Unless French law will block Tencent from acquiring Ubisoft but I doubt it.

The investor *probably* needs Tencent on their side, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 17 September 2024

Called it, delayed til Feb 2025 and no press previews or TGS. They're worried. I think Sony might have just killed Ubisoft with the Ghost Of Yotei announcement.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2024/09/24/ubisoft-pulls-tokyo-game-show-due-assassins-creed-shadows-21663970/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2024/09/24/ubisoft-pulls-tokyo-game-show-due-assassins-creed-shadows-21663970/amp/

Around the Network

Trust Ubisoft to botch having 2 of the largest IPs in entertainment with Avatar and Star Wars

LegitHyperbole said:

Called it, delayed til Feb 2025 and no press previews or TGS. They're worried. I think Sony might have just killed Ubisoft with the Ghost Of Yotei announcement.

Thank you, Sony. Ubisoft devs will find other work, they will be okay. Somebody save Massive though. 

I still want to know how a company that makes as little as Ubisoft does compared to other major third-party publishers ($2.5 billion just in revenue for FY23) is able to still properly fund 51 in-house studios and properly pay over 20K employees.

Ubisoft's share price has now fallen to €11.42 leaving a market cap of €1.36 billion, the lowest in 10 years.

I think the recent announcement by Yves (CEO) shows they are moving in the right direction. They are addressing the issues with outlaws, delaying ac shadows to ensure the game launches in a polished state on all platforms, and for PC players returning to day 1 on Steam.

G2ThaUNiT said:

I still want to know how a company that makes as little as Ubisoft does compared to other major third-party publishers ($2.5 billion just in revenue for FY23) is able to still properly fund 51 in-house studios and properly pay over 20K employees.

Salaries in Europe are a fair bit lower than the US (to the best of my knowledge)