Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft: Tencent, Guillemot Family Weighing Buyout

Assassin Creed Shadows will...

Succeed 16 29.63%

Fail 19 35.19%

Sell well but fail to meet expectations 16 29.63%

Other.. 3 5.56%

Total:54
LegitHyperbole said:

People I the poll are mad, Ghost of Tsushima quenched the Ass Creed Japan thirst and Mirage sold badly and Ubisoft open world fatigue is real. It's not an automatic success story and is very precariously perched. I realise now I should have put a poll option where it sells to average affair.

AC Valhalla was the 2nd most profitable Ubisoft title ever and it was worse than Origins and Odyssey. Swapping to open-world made Assassin's Creed more popular than ever and exploded how popular it was, Lol. I do believe Ubisoft-fatigue is real but I don't believe the issue is Assassin's Creed or Far Cry, both of these IP are still selling millions and enjoyed by millions.

Mirage did not sell badly, it was No.2 in Europe beating Spider-Man 2 for the month of its release. 49% lower than Valhalla but 22% higher than 2018's Odyssey and 6% higher than 2017's Assassin's Creed Origins in Europe. The biggest new-gen launch for Ubisoft in unit sales. 5 million players and $250m in revenue according to Insider Gaming.

Mirage was always billed as a smaller Assassin's Creed, a return to the classic formula that millions of AC fans are no longer used to, it was meant to be DLC to Valhalla initially and upped into a full title, I played it and that was very obvious. Mirage didn't need to sell anywhere near the mainline entries to be a success given these facts, I'd not be surprised if Mirage was fairly low-mid sized budget.

Shadows will sell fine because it's Assassin's Creed...Ghost of Tsushima is irrelevant to its success. It looks like a good entry in the series. It looks like it mostly has November to itself as well, the biggest titles for November are Mario & Luigi: Brothership, Lego Horizon Adventure, AC: Shadows, Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater and Stalker 2. No Steam and Next-Gen only will hurt it slightly but it will likely still be a success.

Around the Network

I think a lot is riding on their Infinity project. It cannot have been cheap and if it doesn't take off, compounded by the other recent failures they've had.. Could be a major problem.

Ouch. Japan hates it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Ouch. Japan hates it.

Yet you'll see comments praising the game. So much betting ot's Unreal. I find Sonys twitter post to be more indicative of western centement where everyone just keeps saying no, give us Gjost of Tsushima 2. 

I don't agree with people above. This could actually fail, I pray it won't but it's likely this can't be banked on for success. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

Ouch. Japan hates it.

Yet you'll see comments praising the game. So much betting ot's Unreal. I find Sonys twitter post to be more indicative of western centement where everyone just keeps saying no, give us Gjost of Tsushima 2. 

I don't agree with people above. This could actually fail, I pray it won't but it's likely this can't be banked on for success. 

Fuck the game. Fuck any game that requires online to install a SP game. This is Ubisofts newest thing so fuck Ubisoft.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Fuck the game. Fuck any game that requires online to install a SP game. This is Ubisofts newest thing so fuck Ubisoft.

Completely agreed but I also Don't want to see them fail for the employees sake. It's leaderships fault they've become the way they are, not the people making the games. 

Leynos said:

Which is why I ask, What's the incentive to try and make something good? To try and innovate? Good or bad job. Good or bad game. You're fired either way. Hell studio shut down either way in some cases. Visions of Mana devs did not even get to enjoy the fruits of their labor as they were shut down the day of release.

Which is why these companies need to be investigated for simply using people under them as wage slaves or just people to dump whenever they feel like it.

Ubisoft being public has barely done them any favours for years, and has only led to struggles both external and internal, to a point now where people on the inside and outside are calling for the removal of Yves and for the company to switch from public to private.

People on here can chime in about how "healthy" Ubi are, but what everyone else is seeing is so radically different, that you really do have to question yourself with "I am so out of touch like Ubisoft is?".

What good is any game company if you keep shedding the talents that do help you produce good games?. These big publishers seem to constantly forget that good teams that make good games make them because they are composed of like-minded folks who happen to gel well together and produce some amazing content. When you fire them, they mostly end up splintering to find homes with other studios, and then we as a whole community end up not getting anything close to what we played in years past. 

There's a reason why I don't trust Valve to ever make a new HL game that continues the HL story, because the majority of it's writers are now gone, meaning the same quality/level of storytelling will never be the same as it was, thus making it pointless to continue. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

Ouch. Japan hates it.

Honestly, those positive about the game don't really care about what Ubi has been doing, between the warranted backlash, Japanese not liking what Ubi is doing, or even some Western folk who know what's going on.

The only ones who support it or don't care, are the ones who are the living embodiment of:

(Anyone here that feels offended, don't. Question the company and their ethics, instead of going for the lowest target, ie: me, because that won't fix Ubisoft or AAA gaming's problem, and no you don't need the moral dopamine hit either). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Is doomposting video game publishers a hobby of yours?

If so I think you should create one for Square, they have a dedicated haterbase in this forum

Ubisoft's issues are numerous but I think Far Cry and Assassin's Creed are the least of their problems, the last mainline AC was 4 years ago and the last Far Cry was 3 years ago and while quality has dipped in these IPs, they're still played and enjoyed by millions, they have the luxury as well established IPs of being able to take a couple hits, the IPs aren't going to plummet over one-two "okay" entries.

Ubisoft's issues are everything else surrounding it, toxic work culture led to a lot of people leaving, the company is directionless and chasing trends in the GaaS sector but cancelling a bunch of them before they even release, instead of focusing on improving their strengths and what they're known for. Yves needs to be booted out of the company and someone else needs to takeover.

Take Skull & Bones, everyone wanted either a pirate title but without the Assassin's Creed background or simply a sequel to Black Flag (or prequel) and either one would have sold millions and been loved as much as Black Flag. Ubisoft...Decided to make Skull and Bones instead...Nothing close to what Black Flag fans were asking for, learning all the wrong lessons from Black Flag...

Beyond Good and Evil 2...That should have simply been a 15 hour-ish experience, a modest sized title but instead Ubisoft is apparently Ubifying it and turning it into an open-world which nobody asked for but honestly I think it should have been put down long ago, there's nothing about BGE1 that justifies how long it has been in development for, BGE1 flopped and they're investing a stupid amount of time and money into BGE2.

Their good titles though are underperforming as well like Sparks of Hope and The Lost Crown so that sucks. They still have Rainbow Six Siege which is very successful and a GaaS but now the market is a lot more competitive, if they're going to try to do more GaaS then as I said for Sony, they need to focus on more unique GaaS experiences and less directly competing with the biggest games in the industry.

Ironically Ubisoft is the biggest publisher in the world at around ~20,000 employees and have probably had the least amount of layoffs but I'm always concerned that could change any-day in the current state of the industry when smaller but more profitable companies are slashing thousands. It's about the only thing I respect from Ubisoft these days, it seems they're trying to avoid layoffs.

Ubisoft Net Income 2024 | Statista

They actually profited in the fiscal year in which Avatar released, Lol. I'd say the worst cast scenario is they get gobbled up by Tencent but I'm pretty sure AC Shadows will sell well enough to offset Skull and Bones and Star Wars underperformance, partially because, Skull and Bones was largely developed in Singapore...Budget won't be high. As for them as a company, I see no reason to doom them just yet, they're not in any danger of closing.

Oh and Ubisoft has conditioned gamers into knowing that Ubisoft titles always price cut instantly so there's no reason to buy on launch, Lul.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 17 September 2024