By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes The Witcher 3 so utterly brilliant?

Is The Witcher 3 an RPG by your definition of the term....

Yes. 13 68.42%

No 6 31.58%

Total:19
Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

It's not boring on death march difficulty. The game has many other aspects to it around the combat but also outside of the combat, as I've mentioned above. You aren't fighting your way through the game, the game focuses on investigations far more than it does on fighting for example. Puzzles and mechanics are far more prevelant in dungeons than fight to fight. Such a small aspect of the game to write the whole thing off, akin to writing off Fallout cause the shooting mechanics are clunky or Divinity cause the battles can last an hour. If this is how you feel the genre just isn't for you. 

I just think games like Dragon's Dogma, Elden Ring, Forbidden West and GoT have much better battle systems.  I'm not writing W3 off, I just think it isn't a 10/10.  It is more like a 8/10.  Good game, but nowhere near as good as people make it out to be, IMO.  

Dragons Dogma and Forbidden West are the only two there that are similar to TW3 and Horizon FW is very stripped back in questing, itemization, choices. Dragons Dogam is also one of the jankiest, buggy games there is, even worse than a Bethesda game and the production value is no where close to TW3 or even a Bethesda game. 

Around the Network

@Chrkeller BTW, remember you've played 20% of a game that is 100 hours long and more with DLC and Gwent. A game which takes ten hours at the very least to really get started.

LegitHyperbole said:

@Chrkeller BTW, remember you've played 20% of a game that is 100 hours long and more with DLC and Gwent. A game which takes ten hours at the very least to really get started.

yeah, but after 20 hours it should have clicked.  At the end of the day battle system matters a lot to me.  Just my opinion, at best, the battle system in W3 is mediocre.  I would rather have less scope with superior combat.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I got into a fight with the Barons men when I could have offered them drinks and set aside my pride, two hours later I'm not allowed to meet with him and have to find another way into his castle, content that would be walled off had I been more friendly. A very small early example but it's stuff like this.

Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

yeah, but after 20 hours it should have clicked.  At the end of the day battle system matters a lot to me.  Just my opinion, at best, the battle system in W3 is mediocre.  I would rather have less scope with superior combat.  

Something that accounts for 10% of the game. To each there own even if it is foolishness to deprive yourself of some of the best questing in gaming along with a near diablo level itemization addiction later in the game and the most emotional beats but to each there own.  

You'd be shocked to see the combat in The witcher 1, lol. 

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Something that accounts for 10% of the game. To each there own even if it is foolishness to deprive yourself of some of the best questing in gaming along with a near diablo level itemization addiction later in the game and the most emotional beats but to each there own.  

I just find your argument weak.  Think of literature.  Imagine a well written book but with a boring story.  Yeah, it is well written, but the overall story isn't interesting.  The W3 has a great world and amazing characters, and terrible battle system.  I am not giving a game with terrible hitboxes, laggy controls a 10/10.  Controls and gameplay are huge parts of a great game, both of which W3 is meh.  The world and characters are great...  but that is about it.  Oh and the controls for Roach are terrible, just terrible.  Roach is so stupid.      

edit

I think a huge part of the issue is the game doesn't feel like it is skill based.  In the W3, if you run into an enemy that is way higher level, you are dead.  Compare that to Elden Ring, you can be grossly under leveled but use skill and still pull off the win.  So the W3 feels doesn't feel like an open world, because it constantly has invisible barriers all over the place.  Elden was truly open world because you can go anywhere at any time, just need the skill.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 16 September 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I just find your argument weak.  Think of literature.  Imagine a well written book but with a boring story.  Yeah, it is well written, but the overall story isn't interesting.  The W3 has a great world and amazing characters, and terrible battle system.  I am not giving a game with terrible hitboxes, laggy controls a 10/10.  Controls and gameplay are huge parts of a great game, both of which W3 is meh.  The world and characters are great...  but that is about it.  Oh and the controls for Roach are terrible, just terrible.  Roach is so stupid.      

edit

I think a huge part of the issue is the game doesn't feel like it is skill based.  In the W3, if you run into an enemy that is way higher level, you are dead.  Compare that to Elden Ring, you can be grossly under leveled but use skill and still pull off the win.  So the W3 feels doesn't feel like an open world, because it constantly has invisible barriers all over the place.  Elden was truly open world because you can go anywhere at any time, just need the skill.  

Find me a game that does combat as well as Elden Ring and all the other stuff the Witcher does well with story, questing, side content etc. Alas, there is none. We don't seem to get to live in that world where this happens, if we want choice based RPG's we have to take pause or turn based combat, there's always a trade off but if any game has a chance it'll be The Witcher 4. Some JRPG's would have a chance too if they leaned into more choice, emergent based gameplay like western RPG's, Specifically the next Tales game but they never will, they have their formula and they won't deviate. 

I think it is a masterpiece. Never understood the complaints about the combat, I think it feels satisfying, and provides a decent amount of options for the player to choose their style, without becoming convoluted. Similarly to Skyrim, which I am also a fan of, it does a good job of encouraging the player to interact with the different mechanics without overwhelming them. The combat never gets difficult, but is it supposed to be?
What puts it above most other open world games, is the depth of the World, every side quest is extremely well written, and none of the content feels like filler. And it has Gwent!
I usually don't even like RPGs or Open World games, but The Witcher 3 is certainly an exception and one of all time favorite games.

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

I just think games like Dragon's Dogma, Elden Ring, Forbidden West and GoT have much better battle systems.  I'm not writing W3 off, I just think it isn't a 10/10.  It is more like a 8/10.  Good game, but nowhere near as good as people make it out to be, IMO.  

Dragons Dogma and Forbidden West are the only two there that are similar to TW3 and Horizon FW is very stripped back in questing, itemization, choices. Dragons Dogam is also one of the jankiest, buggy games there is, even worse than a Bethesda game and the production value is no where close to TW3 or even a Bethesda game. 

What are you talking about dude. DD is nowhere near as janky or buggy as a Bethesda game. On top of that, Witcher 3 was buggy as hell for quite a while.

I really like the Witcher 3 and DD2 has its problems but the combat system is not a comparison that is favourable for Witcher.

I thought it was boring, I never felt entertained, I only beat it for the sake of it.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.