By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro is still far cheaper than a PC

KratosLives said:

Ps5 is much better value than ps5 pro. Even with ps5 being over priced at this point..

Is it, though? 4-year-old console for $450 vs. brand-new console for $700.

You are getting what you're paying for in both cases, but one uses far more recent tech.

That's not to say they aren't quite pricy, of course. They definitely both are.

Around the Network

By next year, a mid-tier PC will likely have similar specs and pricing of a PS5 Pro. You might as well buy that to get PS5 games along with whatever Steam has.

The specs mentioned in the OP will already be outdated by the time the PS5 Pro comes out and replaced with better hardware than what the PS5 Pro will have.

Are those specs incorporating upscaling like the PS5 Pro is? Cause if not then this is a really bad comparison since with upscaling you wouldn't need a 4080 or 7900 XTX to get 4K 60fps at those settings in Rift Apart.

Do you really think that PS5pro's GPU is equivalent to 7900 XTX or RTX4080!? Oh holy LOL :D

PS5's GPU is very similar to Radeon RX 6700. The Pro one, with 67% more compute units would be around RX 6800 level ... a $300 GPU
They haven't mentioned a thing regarding the CPU or RAM, so I guess it stays the same, so Ryzen 7 5800-ish +16GB. There's no way in hell this thing rocks top Ryzen 9.

You could build a PC like that for no more than $1000 ... including a decent monitor 

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 10 September 2024

LMFAO.

Absolutely crazy take. The ps5 pro isn't remotely close to a 4080.

32 gb of ram? The ps5 is 16 total. The 4080 has 16 gb vram plus another 32 gb for a total of 48 gb.

Whoever put this list together has ZERO clue on hardware.

And BTW, upscaling, DLSS is the best in the business.  

Also the ps5 pro, AMD based, will not be half as powerful as a 4080 regarding RT.

The biggest issue with the comparison is the ps5 pro gets to upscale while PC has to run native...  ridiculous. 

The ps5 pro doesn't even match a 4070.  Get out of here with the 4080 nonsense.  

Edit

And if we are going to be fair.  Six years of online access is $480 for Playstation, free for PC.  Games are cheaper on PC.  PC also has emulation and access to way more games like Halo, Forza, Gears.

Not only is PC gaming not as expensive as people think it is, but folks don't take into account value.  

And sorry, I'm still laughing at people thinking the ps5 pro is a 4080, lol.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 10 September 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

It’s a 55% price increase over the base PS5 for 45% more raster performance. But you also get significantly better image reconstruction, better RT and over twice the storage. Seems fair to me. Only problem is the weak CPU.

Of course, if we compare price/performance then PC stacks up better than it did vs the PS5 at its launch. Especially since PS5 digital game prices are pretty insane in Europe, along with more expensive PS+ subs. I can see this pushing some people from Playstation to PC.

I don't know if it's far cheaper but what I do know is that if you are going to use all that money on videogames doesn't matter if it's a console or pc at least you should buy what you want and not what is more convenient. If you think about what is convenient maybe you shouldn't be using that money on videogames and you should use it in more important stuff like providing to your family or self improvement.

I get people don't like the price but the product isn't the next thing you need, is just an option for those interested, like the Portal. Personally I don't need reasons to buy what I want other than because I want it and I don't need the money for something more important.

BonfiresDown said:

It’s a 55% price increase over the base PS5 for 45% more raster performance. But you also get significantly better image reconstruction, better RT and over twice the storage. Seems fair to me. Only problem is the weak CPU.

Back in the day, after 4 years we got a new console with much better performance for the same price as the old console. The PS2 didn't cost twice as much as a PS1 at launch despite being a way more powerful system.

People are more than happy to pay more than 1000$ for a new phone and lock themselves into one ecosystem, so yeah. A 300$ phone will do the same things as the expensive one, but people want the latest thing and just shovel their money away to get it. PS5 Pro, though? No no no, it's bad, it's doom. Come on. It's the same thing, people, some of us want to pay top dollar for the seemingly better thing.
I don't understand the moaning about the Pro. It's another option but it's not mandatory, the base model will be just fine. I don't know what they were expecting, that it would be cheaper than the base model?

Do you take into account the price you pay for your personal pc/laptop that you use? Add that with the PS5 pro and what price do you get? Don't forget to include annual PS plus as well.

Gaming pc can be used for personal use and gaming, so no need to spend additional for a seperate pc/laptop on top of PS5.