By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro is still far cheaper than a PC

Let's move past the internet reaction farmers and actually do our homework on this thing based upon what we can actually see.

Lets take a game that is on both PS5 and PC and work this out.  Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, we were shown PS5 Pro Footage here:

Using PSSR, we have a gaming that visually is running at 4k 60fps with ray tracing on the PS5 Pro.  It's right there in the video.

So if we want the same on PC, what do we need to use?  Well we have the recommending specs right here: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart/pc/

It says we need:

• Avg. performance: 4K @ 60 fps
  • Graphic settings: High/Ray-tracing very high1
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 or AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K or AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • RAM: 32 GB
  • Storage: 75 GB SSD space

So let's price that:

Before we have even added a motherboard, SSD, PSU, etc we are up to £1325!

I'm not saying that £800 for a PS5 Pro is cheap, it's not.  That's a lot of money for a games console, but I think a bit of perspective here is in order.

To build a PC yourself (if you know how!) to match the advertised output of a PS5 Pro is going to cost upwards of £1500!

Again, I'm not saying PS5 Pro is cheap, it absolutely is not.  I'm just saying that if you are in the market for a high end device, then all of a sudden it does become a viable option.

--------

But I think this does lead into a great discussion about the next generation.  What is the next generation going to cost?  Is this Sony getting a head start on the AI chips that will be required for PSSR in the PS6 in mass production now, to hopefully bring the price down in a few years time?

If Microsoft say they are going to make the biggest generational leap ever, what is the price going to be there?  If they are moving away from the games sales subsidizing the console price model, and going to have multiple store fronts, how will that impact their next machine if Sony can't get the price down yet?

Is this why we have heard nothing from Nintendo about Switch 2?  Is Nintendo holding back because they are having problems getting their device into a sub £300 price range?

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

Around the Network

I'm just gonna post what I did in the other thread

"Anyone else find it hilariously ironic that we're even having to compare the price of console to a gaming PC? Doesn't matter the price difference, but just the fact that they're getting so close in price that there are already those defending the price because "you can't get a gaming PC for the same price as the PS5 Pro" It was just performance comparisons this whole time. Now we're having to compare performance AND price.

Before I was starting to wonder how soon before physical games are no longer a thing. Now I'm starting to wonder how long consoles in general will be a thing if prices keep going up the way they are lol. There's little to no way the next generation of consoles won't start at $700."

A pc does quite a bit more than a console does.

You will pay more and more for diminishing returns on visuals and you will learn to like it.

...Will the PS5 Pro run this game with the Ultimate Ray Tracing preset? Because if not then this is a very flawed comparison, since you won't need these specs to run this game like the Pro.

And also... A PC with these specs will also be more future proof than a PS5 Pro; you'll be able to play games from the PS6 generation if you lower the settings while you can't do that with a PS5.

Around the Network

I mean, it's true.
But PC is an open platform with a much bigger library than any console and it has more non-gaming functions.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

RedKingXIII said:

...Will the PS5 Pro run this game with the Ultimate Ray Tracing preset? Because if not then this is a very flawed comparison, since you won't need these specs to run this game like the Pro.

And also... A PC with these specs will also be more future proof than a PS5 Pro; you'll be able to play games from the PS6 generation if you lower the settings while you can't do that with a PS5.

Ooooof, I didn't even think about that. Before this gen, all the talk about current-gen consoles was how they would be running at 4K 60fps for most games. With up to 120 fps. Now we get 720p upscaled with a broken 60fps in many cases. 

Meanwhile I'm still running a PC from 2018 playing pretty much all games at 1440p 60fps on a 2070 Super lol

G2ThaUNiT said:
RedKingXIII said:

Ooooof, I didn't even think about that. Before this gen, all the talk about current-gen consoles was how they would be running at 4K 60fps for most games. With up to 120 fps. Now we get 720p upscaled with a broken 60fps in many cases. 

Meanwhile I'm still running a PC from 2018 playing pretty much all games at 1440p 60fps on a 2070 Super lol

Yeah not only PCs are more future proof but the backwards compatibility is waaaaay superior. You can play games from the PS3 era just fine using a PC, but my PS3 library is still traped on my PS3 lol. I'm not even sure if my PS4 games will work on the PS6!

There's tons of advantages of paying more for a PC and while a PS5 Pro is still cheaper... it's getting too expensive for my likings.

G2ThaUNiT said:
RedKingXIII said:

Yeah, that was the part they quietly swept under the rug-- because it's still saddled to an aging CPU it's likely not capable of pushing for higher framerate targets. Their whole marketing spiel of 'we wanted to take away the hard choice of these performance modes and give people the best of both worlds', is just bs'ing around the fact that the Pro isn't a complete upgrade across the board, since it's not offering a visuals mode of 4k60 and a performance mode up to 120fps. Instead all it's really doing is fixing the performance of games that were struggling to hit what should be the modern standard of 60fps to begin with. And they're making you pay a fat premium to do it.

Why would I pay that kind of absurd price for a machine that will be outdated a year or two later, when Xbox likely has no choice but to rush out their next-gen machine which will be a full generational leap.

More to the point, why do I have to keep patiently hinging my hopes on these two console platforms that are struggling to put out worthwhile exclusive titles, getting expeditedly more expensive and forcibly moving their users away from physical ownership; all things which contradict the traditional appeal of console gaming.

Sometime after the stretch of games between now and Avowed, the Nvidia 5000 series should be on the market or close to, and I'd much rather pay the premium for a new PC rig rather than stick to machines that are increasingly just lame gaming PCs.

Ps5 is much better value than ps5 pro. Even with ps5 being over priced at this point..