By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital distribution console players, when did you go all (or near-all) digital?

When did you go all (or near-all) digital?

Before 2012 (specify) 0 0%

2012 2 20.00%

2013 1 10.00%

2014 0 0%

2015 1 10.00%

2016 1 10.00%

2017 0 0%

2018 1 10.00%

2019 0 0%

2020 or later (specify) 4 40.00%

Total:10

We've had some recent threads about digital vs. physical, and I'm curious when the all (or near-all) digital console crowd went digital?

I specified console, because physical games are still alive on consoles. They're virtually dead globally for PC, even with Steam or digital codes in a box not as common anymore. 

Also, you can specify which consoles you play on and if you had a different timeline for when you went all-digital on them. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

February 2014 for me. Had just gotten my Wii U, had enough money to buy one physical game and was torn between DKCTF or SM3DW until I realized that I was close to having enough money to buying both of them digitally. So I did that, and haven't really looked back since.

(I voted 2013 in the poll, just a brainfart, do ignore)

Autumn 2012, when 3DS retail games went on the EShop. That was the last system I'd bought physical media for.
It's too convenient not to do digital purchases.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

A long time ago. Digital is the future.

Started via the ps4.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I don’t think I’m eligible exactly to vote, but I am all digital on 2/3 ecosystems.

While I continue to collect physical Switch games — I have roughly 85 cards — I’ve given up on physical PS and Xbox games, as of PS5 and Xbox Series. I think the last physical PS4 game I bought was Elden Ring in 2022 and the last physical Xbox One game I bought was Infinite Warfare in 2016.

There are a few reasons why. There are fewer and fewer PS and Xbox games worth buying; subscription services like Game Pass provide a quick, easy way to try the latest games; and the physical versions just feel more and more like digital versions with a polycarbonate intermediary, due to all the installs and patches.

Around the Network

Where is option never ?

After the atrocious PS3/360 era and the myriad of console issues that came with it including disc drive errors, I bought a PS4. The PS4 had a huge amount of space for the time and then the disc drive started malfunctioning, sometimes not reading the disc.

I was done playing games (physically). So around 2016 I went full digital.

Depends if you consider the Switch a console. I buy most of my Switch games as digital so I can take them with me. But if it's a game that I feel I probably won't be replaying in short bursts on a whim (i.e. unicorn overlord) I may go physical.

On my PS5/XBone, I'm far more likely to buy physical copies when available. But that might depend on the game and if it's a pick up and play kind of game like Street Fighter, I'm more likely to go digital.

Last Xbox game i got physical was Far Cry 6. Been digital on there since 2015. Last gen on Wii U i was like 50/50 but for Switch all my games are physical because the Wii U didnt have bc with the Switch, and I only have like 9 games on Switch anyway so it's not a hassle storing them.

It started for me when i had trouble securing a physical special edition copy of Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 back in 2020 and i decided instead to pre-order the digital deluxe edition on the PS store around 2 weeks before its launch and i continued being digital from there and on to the PS5.

I make an exception for the PS3 since i went back to it last year and bought plenty of new physical games for it from eBay.