By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money is Sony losing over these GaaS failures?

Concord...

Will release Free to play 10 37.04%

Stay dead 17 62.96%

Total:27

Anyone have info? There was Helldiver that made bank but amongst Destruction All stars, Foam stars (sure they paid Square enix), Concord and soon to be DOA Fairgame$. The cancellation of Factions and Marathon with a rickety Bungie at the helm. 

They've shut down Concord a 100 million (possibly as high as 250 million) title before marketing already, even if they re release it free to play it'll unlikely make them significant money as it's reputation is screwed. They'd have to insert more money and rework the game.

What figures are we looking at here? Can anyone some it up. How much did Helldivers help these service games for them to impact their decision making?

Also, Astrobot and Lego Horizon are relatively cheap and likely to make them so much money. Will they finally pivot back to solid first party single player games without the DEI, in your opinion?

Could this mean Fair Game$ releases as a free to play title? PS catalogue title?

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - on 05 September 2024

Around the Network

Seems like Helldivers covered the cost of the failures, it's made about 300 million. This may no be the wake up call needed.

Concord is going to die and stay dead, I do not see people picking it up even if they make it free to play, there are simply too many Gaas-FTP games around, and if this is the biggest the game is at launch, it won't be any better in the future, especially not after getting the label of "biggest flop ever" and similar. Sony is going to cut losses and take it as a loss for tax purposes, making it FTP will only make losses bigger.

Last edited by Darwinianevolution - on 03 September 2024

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I personally will not speculate about money things as I don't know the budgets of these games. But I guess Destruction AllStars wasn't too expensive to make comparing to Concord. HD2 has earned a lot of money and it partially could reduce Concord's loss.

I think FairGames will release and it won't have the same gameplay as Concord. It feels it's in another sub-genre.

I guess they will release more single-player games in the future. I suppose that the initial plan was that the second half of PS5 life cycle could have more exclusive game than the first half. There might be new games from Media Molecule, Bluepoint, from partner studios like Death Stranding 2 etc.

GAAS lineup wasn't the best option for the company but I understand why they've divided to make some GAAS project. I suppose the main reasons behind it was the reception of some PS4 era games.

So, there are some games which had highly positive reception e.g. God of War, Horizon 1, a few other games. But at the same time there were a number of titles which had some mixed reception: Days Gone, Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Gran Turismo: Sport, Driveclub, The Order 1886. I remember the times when there were many debates about "boring" gameplay of Death Stranding or big controversy over The Last of Us 2. And also there were games which didn't gain much popularity like Dreams (it's interesting how big its sales) or Detroit: Become Human (on day one, later it became more popular). It seems that TLOU2 situation was that moment when the company decided to do something different. While a lot of people didn't like TLOU2, it has done more reputation damage to PS brand than Concord (I guess some people have forgotten about Concord) TLOU2 has sold well but the outrage was one of the biggest in the last years. They didn't refuse to make SP games but just decided to create more online games. It's not an excuse but just one of reasons why they tried to make way into online gaming.

Vorodroid said:

I personally will not speculate about money things as I don't know the budgets of these games. But I guess Destruction AllStars wasn't too expensive to make comparing to Concord. HD2 has earned a lot of money and it partially could reduce Concord's loss.

I think FairGames will release and it won't have the same gameplay as Concord. It feels it's in another sub-genre.

I guess they will release more single-player games in the future. I suppose that the initially plan was that the second half of PS5 life cycle could have more exclusive game than the first half. There might be new games from Media Molecule, Bluepoint, from partner studios like Death Stranding 2 etc.

GAAS lineup wasn't the best option for the company but I understand why they've divided to make some GAAS project. I suppose the main reasons behind it was the reception of some PS4 era games.

So, there are some games which had highly positive reception e.g. God of War, Horizon 1, a few other games. But at the same time there were a number of titles which had some mixed reception: Days Gone, Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Gran Turismo: Sport, Driveclub, The Order 1886. I remember the times when there were many debates about "boring" gameplay of Death Stranding or big controversy over The Last of Us 2. And also there were games which didn't gain much popularity like Dreams (it's interesting how big its sales) or Detroit: Become Human (on day one, later it became more popular). It seems that TLOU2 situation was that moment when the company decided to do something different. While a lot of people didn't like TLOU2, it has done more reputation damage to PS brand than Comcord. TLOU2 has sold well but the outrage was one of the biggest in the last years. They didn't refuse to make SP games but just decided more online games. It's not an excuse but just one of reasons why they tried to make way into online gaming.

I'm gonna guess Jim Ryan set up this mess as soon as he got in, they pushed out Shuhei too, from the big stuff, which i knew would be a bad sign. Damn, they should really just let Shu have the keys to the castle, he'd have Nintebdo level quality titles on the go for next gen but with Astrobot and Horizon Lego I assume Herman knows what he's doing.

And hey, yeah. Look at the sales of those games though, Death Stranding isn't getting a sequel because of Metacritic, it's cause ot'a a quality product that sold and remember Sony's first party stuff (something the have forgotton) is to get people on the hardware, even if it means big budgets and not much profit in doing so, breaking even should be fine if it sells hardware and they make the money back off of their take on games sold on PSN. But the games you mentioned did make profit. Even Days gone, that's an odd one that they put in the ground cuase it done well. I suppose they just don't like the gruff biker dude associated with their brand and reckon it hurts more than helps. That's why Decon is not in Astro's playroom.  

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

Concord is going to die and stay dead, I do not see people picking it up even if they make it free to play, there are simply too many Gaas-FTP games around, and if this is the biggest the game is at launch, it won't be any better in the future, especially not after getting the label of "biggest flop ever" and similar. Sony is going to cut losses and take it as a loss for tax purposes, making it FTP will only make losses bigger.

You're probably right. 

I figure though that Helldivers has already paid for these failures even if Fairgames bombs as bad as Concord. 

8 years in dev. Yeah, I don't believe that 100 million figure with those cutscenes and more cutscenes were to be released weekly so they obviously had a lot content created Ann ready to go there. Fuck it hurts.

At least tens of millions, possibly over a hundred million.
Let's just say it hasn't touched the money PS3 lost. The combined profits of PS1 and PS2 were wiped out by PS3. Without PS4's massive success (above PS1, more profitable than PS2), PlayStation was going to die or at least shrink (perhaps no more hardware, just games and services).
Sony needs to divest from GaaS, since it seems to be bleeding money.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

At least tens of millions, possibly over a hundred million.
Let's just say it hasn't touched the money PS3 lost. The combined profits of PS1 and PS2 were wiped out by PS3. Without PS4's massive success (above PS1, more profitable than PS2), PlayStation was going to die or at least shrink (perhaps no more hardware, just games and services).
Sony needs to divest from GaaS, since it seems to be bleeding money.

Concord alone, as said by a dev on twitter complaining, is at 180 million and I figure since Helldivers took off at 300 million that could cover the costs of the failures.

Indeed they need to stop and hopefully began stopping when Destruction allstars released. 

Wman1996 said:

The combined profits of PS1 and PS2 were wiped out by PS3. Without PS4's massive success (above PS1, more profitable than PS2), PlayStation was going to die or at least shrink (perhaps no more hardware, just games and services).

That even taking into account the profits from the PSP. Compared to the black hole the PS3 was for Sony, Concord might as well be nothing. Still, it is a failure not to be repeated. Not just because of the money, but because of the wasted time and development potential lost, someone in charge should have stopped development way before this.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.