By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Side scrolling melee combat sucks! What is a good example?

I...

Love 2D sidescrollibg combat 17 70.83%

Hate 2D Sidescrolling combat 1 4.17%

Mixed on Side scrolling combat 4 16.67%

It's servicable to enjoy ... 1 4.17%

I don't play 2d games. 1 4.17%

Total:24
LegitHyperbole said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Hollow Knight, Metroid anything, Castlevania, Streets of Rage Series, Turtles in Time, Shredders Revenge, Viewtiful Joe, Muramasa, River City Ransom, Ninja Gaiden Series, Dusk, Goemon, etc.

Ninja Gaiden has a 2d game, what platform? And Dusk is an FPS, no?

Ninja Gaiden started on the NES. It's a system defining game like Mario 3 and MegaMan 2. 

Dusk an Elysian tale. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Ninja Gaiden started on the NES. It's a system defining game like Mario 3 and MegaMan 2. 

Dusk an Elysian tale. 

Oh, It's called Dust an Elysian tail.

Cerebralbore101 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Dusk an Elysian tale. 

Ninja Gaiden started in Arcades (wasn't great) but had one of the most brutal (for the era) death scene. NES game is different. Also a Master System. Game Gear and a couple other versions of the era but yes NES was best.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Dusk an Elysian tale. 

Ninja Gaiden started in Arcades (wasn't great) but had one of the most brutal (for the era) death scene. NES game is different. Also a Master System. Game Gear and a couple other versions of the era but yes NES was best.

God dammit, I thought this series started with Ninja Gaiden black on the 360. I never seen 2d Ninja Gaiden in my life before. 

Go to Xbox store. Look up Guardian Heroes. All all-time classic game. One of Treasure's best games. Side-scrolling ARPG beat em up with several different characters to choose from. Perform combos. Choose your own adventure no 2 playthroughs are the same.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I really enjoyed Salt & Sanctury - it's the only 2D Soulslike I've played so far that managed to hook me.

OP, I'ma ask.... are you for real, or is this just a bit? 

Side-scrolling combat is what I grew up with, it's all I knew back then and it was good. I enjoyed Prince of persia, Castlevania, MegaMan, Robocop/Terminator side scrollers, Simpsons Arcade, Metroid, Contra, Chakan: the forever man, etc.

I still love that genre to this day, because it'll never age (it's about as timeless as Pong/Columns).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

It's so surreal that OP is just a bit younger than me and he doesn't know any of the classic 2D combat games. I swear there's such a huge divide between millennials born in the 80's and millennials born in the 90's.

Cerebralbore101 said:

It's so surreal that OP is just a bit younger than me and he doesn't know any of the classic 2D combat games. I swear there's such a huge divide between millennials born in the 80's and millennials born in the 90's.

I do, Double Dragons 2 was one of the first video games I played as a kid. It seems so simple now, I mean, you got that spin combo and that's about it besides punch punch kick. 

Chazore said:

OP, I'ma ask.... are you for real, or is this just a bit? 

Side-scrolling combat is what I grew up with, it's all I knew back then and it was good. I enjoyed Prince of persia, Castlevania, MegaMan, Robocop/Terminator side scrollers, Simpsons Arcade, Metroid, Contra, Chakan: the forever man, etc.

I still love that genre to this day, because it'll never age (it's about as timeless as Pong/Columns).

I was for real, Some people have offered some good alternatives to the games I've been trying, just seem like I go a clump of stinkers in a row with no depth to them at all.