By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do Disk Drives matter?

Would you quit gaming if the industry went full digital?

Yes 22 28.21%

No 44 56.41%

Unsure 12 15.38%

Total:78

C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Zkuq said:

For me personally, it's about control. I don't want to cede control of relatively expensive products to companies that generally care little of what's beneficial to me. There are already some rare cases where access to games you've paid for is lost because of the publisher's decision or other reasons, probably without any compensation to the owners. I don't expect that to be a major issue with large companies such as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, but I have little doubt that they would absolutely at the very least consider dropping old games when few enough people are interested in them anymore. Aside from Microsoft, that's exactly what they've done with backwards compatibility, and Microsoft hasn't exactly demonstrated trustworthiness in the gaming industry either.

Wanted to answer your post.

Answer: I post for conservation.

Topic;

I continue to hear people saying they would quit gaming if Physical ceased to exist. So, I am writing this thread to understand that mentality.

Are these physical collectors playing games or just collecting? Why does a format of a game matter if it's the exact same game on screen? Why does owning something make any difference? My example would be, do they hate going to the movie theaters because they don't own the movie on physical? I dont understand this mentality. 

I buy physical all the time however I am not against the digital future as its benefits outweigh the negatives. Especially when you own thousands of games.

Yeah, Steam isn't going anywhere. There are 34,000,000 daily users. A 134,000,000 monthly users. I'll be long dead before anything happens to Steam.

As for Nintendo being mostly physical in sales.... once Nintendo doesn't have digital program more archaic than the ps3, it will change quickly.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Yeah, Steam isn't going anywhere. There are 34,000,000 daily users. A 134,000,000 monthly users. I'll be long dead before anything happens to Steam.

As for Nintendo being mostly physical in sales.... once Nintendo doesn't have digital program more archaic than the ps3, it will change quickly.

That's a good point. I suppose that Nintendo will rework console OS and Nintendo Store before Switch 2's launch. I think they prepare a new interface of S2 and also improve a state of digital store.

One of the reasons of not huge level of digital sales on Switch is Nintendo Shop itself. It's messy, uncomfortable, just outdated. More over, the moderation of digital marketplace could be better so that there weren't so many awkward games of low quality.

Digital Store in Switch 2 is mediocre today. The overhaul may lead to the increase of digital sales. I don't know how big is the rate of digital purchases there. Some users above wrote that 50% or so. It's less than other platforms and launchers have. There's a lot of work to do on Nintendo's store. 

Azzanation said:

I continue to hear people saying they would quit gaming if Physical ceased to exist. So, I am writing this thread to understand that mentality.

Are these physical collectors playing games or just collecting? Why does a format of a game matter if it's the exact same game on screen? Why does owning something make any difference? My example would be, do they hate going to the movie theaters because they don't own the movie on physical? I dont understand this mentality. 

I buy physical all the time however I am not against the digital future as its benefits outweigh the negatives. Especially when you own thousands of games.

I'm a collector but all games I collect are old, many I collect and own I've never played. I buy new games to experience them and as of yet this generation there are no 'collectable' games, that won't happen until next gen starts and beyond, just how it is for me. Games aren't collectable until they are readily unavailable, that make sense? Digital future oddly isn't that, it's there forever as long as the platform exists.

PC went pretty much digital like a decade ago, more even and those gamers didn't bat an eye. There are digital only games on console which has been the case for most smaller games for well over a decade too. So it's not like digital is some scourge on the gaming industry.

I think digital is fine but it needs some changes, cheaper pricing for one, lots of excuses for who consoles are more expensive which to me aren't logical or fair and in the end are just publisher greed.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Not only that but when you consider PC gaming is practically 100% digital, Sony's recent financial results showed PlayStation sales were 80% digital, Nintendo's recent financial results showed Switch sales have long passed 50% digital, and Xbox sales are around 90% digital, you start to wonder if you have friends, how many of them even bother with physical at all?

It's no longer 20 years ago when all games were physical and sharing games amongst friends was so common because if you had a console, you had to buy games physically. You're statistically more likely to let your friends borrow the whole damn console than borrow your games lol.

Switch software sales aren't even close to 50% digital when there's a physical option available. The 50%+ digital share that people all too commonly cite is revenue-based and does include DLC, subscriptions and digital-only games. When given the choice, Switch software is still around 70% physical; not lifetime, but during the most recent fiscal year.

Admittedly, Switch doesn't have a disk drive because it uses a superior physical medium. So in that sense it's correct that disk drives are obsolete nowadays.

You won't have trouble having friends with physical Switch games, because statistically that's the norm. People have to be honest and acknowledge that PC, PS and Xbox are very similar while Nintendo is a different beast. So any fantasies about an all-digital future are just that: Fantasies. You won't see Nintendo develop into that direction, simply because they'd lose too many customers if they did that. Nintendo's long-running policy of giving five times the gold points (or as special offer even ten times as many) for digital purchases in comparison to physical games has hardly moved the needle. Nor have vouchers where on average $/€10 per game can be saved.

Nintendo will definitely keep physical for the longest but the notion that they won't ever develop into digital only is unrealistic. Even if it takes a while Nintendo will reach the state Playstation is currently at with it and eventually where Xbox is at with it and at some point the amount of customers who are physical die-hards will be small enough to where it won't be worth catering to them.

Just compare the state of digital gaming even just a decade ago to now and it's clear that things will be very different in 20 years or so. I don't think this is a positive shift since physical is a good option to have but digital is increasingly where the money is at for video games so it's where companies like Nintendo will go.

Last edited by Norion - on 31 August 2024

I would be pissed if Sony or Nintendo removed the physical option but no, I don't think I would quit gaming if (or when) that happened. I guess I would just stop buying PS consoles and would go to PC instead. At least you can get digital games for cheap on Steam, and there's more than one way to buy even Steam games

idk. I just like having options. Why some people is so against it or why they don't understand different people wants different things is beyond me. Not saying it happened on this thread, but I've seen in lots of places people wanting physical media to die and it's a bit ridiculous to me lol

RedKingXIII said:

I would be pissed if Sony or Nintendo removed the physical option but no, I don't think I would quit gaming if (or when) that happened. I guess I would just stop buying PS consoles and would go to PC instead. At least you can get digital games for cheap on Steam, and there's more than one way to buy even Steam games

idk. I just like having options. Why some people is so against it or why they don't understand different people wants different things is beyond me. Not saying it happened on this thread, but I've seen in lots of places people wanting physical media to die and it's a bit ridiculous to me lol

Such super anty-physical opinions are often popular from places where people almost play digital media. In my country PC gaming is more popular than consoles (and PC gaming is almost digital for years) and even console players prefer downloads because there aren't many new physical games apart from a few AAAs. But these physical media are more expensive because they often come from other countries. That's why in my region physical things are considered to be outdated by many players.

It really depends on the region. While there's North America where there's a lot of choice of physical games, there are other places where it's more difficult to find new games in shops and the prices of discs are often higher. 

You know, I said I'd quit gaming but I think I accidentally misinterpreted.

I meant I would quit CONSOLE gaming and be a PC only gamer if things went all digital. Consoles are walled off PCs with security and antipiracy measures. Making things digital only where they could, at any moment, strip the content away from me or no longer offer the content and then I'd have to hack the console in order to play said content? No thank you.

I'd rather stick with PC where piracy is easy. If someone takes digital content "away" from PC, you can find ways to access it easily regardless. I want to have some amount of control over the content I'm buying, and if I can't have direct control then I want some flexibility in not being completely powerless.

The only exception is maybe Nintendo games, but, even then...Nintendo is the worst digital offender and I might stay stubborn out of sheer principle.

Azzanation said:
Zkuq said:

For me personally, it's about control. I don't want to cede control of relatively expensive products to companies that generally care little of what's beneficial to me. There are already some rare cases where access to games you've paid for is lost because of the publisher's decision or other reasons, probably without any compensation to the owners. I don't expect that to be a major issue with large companies such as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, but I have little doubt that they would absolutely at the very least consider dropping old games when few enough people are interested in them anymore. Aside from Microsoft, that's exactly what they've done with backwards compatibility, and Microsoft hasn't exactly demonstrated trustworthiness in the gaming industry either.

Wanted to answer your post.

Answer: I post for conservation.

Topic;

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I'm following. Is this about conservation, collecting, or physical vs. digital, all aspects considered? Either way, I've got to say that for me personally the positives of 'the digital future' most certainly do not come even close to outweighing the negatives. Maybe they do for you, but I doubt you can find a way to objectively claim that. On PC, there might be cases where they do, but on consoles, it's not even close. Going digital on consoles is basically focusing on short-term benefits and accepting that the future is uncertain, which is obviously fine, if that's your cup of tea. It's just not my cup of tea.