By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do Disk Drives matter?

Would you quit gaming if the industry went full digital?

Yes 22 28.21%

No 44 56.41%

Unsure 12 15.38%

Total:78

I can't believe OP was a Sony agent prepping for the PS5 Pro reveal.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

Japanese gamers still flock to physical games. 

Do they? https://allcorrectgames.com/insights/the-gaming-market-in-japan/

Wman1996 said:
Chrkeller said:

Ps5 pro, disk drive optional. I still think the ps6 is digital only. I believe physical games will be dead by the switch 3.

Coin toss on PS6 not having at least the add-on disc drive. Switch 3, we'll have to see. Japan is Nintendo's homeland and one of their biggest markets not only as a whole but for an individual country and Japanese gamers still flock to physical games. 

Perhaps even by the time Switch 3 releases, that trend will change a lot in Japan or Nintendo won't care enough anymore to support physical games. 

Nintendo Life had digital on the Switch growing 20% last year.  It is almost 50/50 at this point.  I assume the S2 launches in 2025 which puts a S3 in 2032.  I could see digital being dominant by that time, even with Nintendo.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Conina said:
Wman1996 said:

Maybe Wman1996 meant "when it comes to consoles"?

I could be wrong but I think outside of US, majority of the world still prefers physical which is why some games when release are like "physical EU, Asia/Japan, except digital in US". I know I bought a few Asian-English physical games cause they only released digital here which blows.

Conina said:
Wman1996 said:

How many of those Mobile gamers are also Console gamers?  How many of the Pc gamers are also mobile gamers?  How many of the Pc gamers are also console gamers? How many are gaming on all 3?   The physical attach rate could be very high, but this chart wouldn't be able to show that.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Conina said:

Maybe Wman1996 meant "when it comes to consoles"?

I could be wrong but I think outside of US, majority of the world still prefers physical which is why some games when release are like "physical EU, Asia/Japan, except digital in US". I know I bought a few Asian-English physical games cause they only released digital here which blows.

I read an article recently, UK is 89% digital.  Reporter by BBC for 2022.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Ps5 pro, disk drive optional. I still think the ps6 is digital only. I believe physical games will be dead by the switch 3.

It's starting to be the reality. I cannot see the next Xbox and Sony consoles offering disk drives. They both want to drive the digital media which is the best financial foot forward. More control, more profits, more compatibly, less investment. They all want to cut out the middleman. I feel Nintendo will be the only ones using some form of physical media next gen.

Azzanation said:

It's starting to be the reality. I cannot see the next Xbox and Sony consoles offering disk drives. They both want to drive the digital media which is the best financial foot forward. More control, more profits, more compatibly, less investment. They all want to cut out the middleman. I feel Nintendo will be the only ones using some form of physical media next gen.

Not everyone will adopt that move.  It might appear like more profit for Xbox/Sony on paper, but they're shrinking the consumer base.  A vast chunk will choose to just not purchase Xbox and Sony consoles. Some will quit gaming all-together, others will migrate to PC gaming. Nintendo will receive some gains.  The profits only occur if they don't lose any consumers.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
Azzanation said:

Not everyone will adopt that move.  It might appear like more profit for Xbox/Sony on paper, but they're shrinking the consumer base.  A vast chunk will choose to just not purchase Xbox and Sony consoles. Some will quit gaming all-together, others will migrate to PC gaming. Nintendo will receive some gains.  The profits only occur if they don't lose any consumers.

Personally, I think the threat of quitting is an idle threat.  And those who move to PC will probably still buy Sony games.  Moving to digital only isn't going to hurt as much as people think it will.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Personally, I think the threat of quitting is an idle threat.  And those who move to PC will probably still buy Sony games.  Moving to digital only isn't going to hurt as much as people think it will.  

They may still buy Sony games, but they won't be paying Sony to play them online,  won't be subscribed to any of the other Sony subscriptions, will wait for price drops before buying their games, and can use the peripherals of their choice.

Edit: I will never purchase a digital only console.  Ever.

Last edited by DroidKnight - 4 days ago