By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch 2 finally be powerful enough and popular enough to get Nintendo all the top games?

sc94597 said:
curl-6 said:

"Most" third party (console) games probably will come to Switch 2, just perhaps not most AAA games.

Thousands of games release on consoles each year, but of those only a relative few of those are AAA. Indie, AA, and other smaller stuff will be there in force.

OP did mention "top games" in the title. While this is vague, it is clear they were implying AAA or bigger AA titles from the initial post.

I know, I was just pointing out that focusing on only the big blockbusters can miss a lot of the bigger picture.

I don't think anybody really thinks the successor will get literally every big AAA title, that's off the table due to the laws of physics preventing handhelds from being as performant as dedicated consoles and perhaps more importantly devs having finite time and resources.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
sc94597 said:

OP did mention "top games" in the title. While this is vague, it is clear they were implying AAA or bigger AA titles from the initial post.

I know, I was just pointing out that focusing on only the big blockbusters can miss a lot of the bigger picture.

I don't think anybody really thinks the successor will get literally every big AAA title, that's off the table due to the laws of physics preventing handhelds from being as performant as dedicated consoles and perhaps more importantly devs having finite time and resources.

I mean for all instance and purposes, Wukong, a game that is seemingly bringing the PS5 to its knees and has problems being ported to the Series, is playable on the Steam Deck in "decent" fashion. So my take on this is relatively dependant mostly on the willfulness of the devs and publishers to achieve said games on the console, more so than the problem of "powerful hardware".

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

I mean for all instance and purposes, Wukong, a game that is seemingly bringing the PS5 to its knees and has problems being ported to the Series, is playable on the Steam Deck in "decent" fashion. So my take on this is relatively dependant mostly on the willfulness of the devs and publishers to achieve said games on the console, more so than the problem of "powerful hardware".

Oh I agree, it's just that the power gap does mean ports will require more resources than porting to say PS5 or Xbox Series. This won't prevent the system getting a multitude of ports, it just might the devs behind some of the most demanding 9th gen games think twice.

As I said earlier in the thread, where there's a will, there's a way.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

To be fair image quality for the ps5 is being viewed on a giant TV.  Image quality for the Deck is being viewed on a small screen.  Poor image quality will looks way better on a small screen than a large.  The switch 2 is in a unique position because it has mobile hardware but still needs to look good on the big screen.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

curl-6 said:
Mar1217 said:

Oh I agree, it's just that the power gap does mean ports will require more resources than porting to say PS5 or Xbox Series. This won't prevent the system getting a multitude of ports, it just might the devs behind some of the most demanding 9th gen games think twice.

As I said earlier in the thread, where there's a will, there's a way.

It is kind of funny.  When I say the exact same thing I have someone chasing me for 30 days and acting like I said something criminal.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Mar1217 said:

To be fair image quality for the ps5 is being viewed on a giant TV.  Image quality for the Deck is being viewed on a small screen.  Poor image quality will looks way better on a small screen than a large.  The switch 2 is in a unique position because it has mobile hardware but still needs to look good on the big screen.

True, but like the Switch it's almost certainly going to overclock in docked mode to help with that.

There's different standards in play as well; folks expect their PS5 to look amazing on a big TV, but most are willing to be more forgiving towards Switch/Switch 2 as they knew going in that they were trading graphics for the hybrid form factor.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

True, but like the Switch it's almost certainly going to overclock in docked mode to help with that.

There's different standards in play as well; folks expect their PS5 to look amazing on a big TV, but most are willing to be more forgiving towards Switch/Switch 2 as they knew going in that they were trading graphics for the hybrid form factor.

I fully understand switch and ps5 owners have different standards.

My point was more about black myth on steam deck...  pop it on a 55 inch TV and running "well" opnion is likely to change.  

Small screen have high pixel density, dropping resolution doesn't have a dramatic impact and saves system resources.  

And I will be shocked if the switch 2 overclocks dock.  I think it might actually hit clock speeds, but it won't overclock.  Unless you mean run at a higher clock speed docked when compared to mobile?  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 04 September 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

My point was more about black myth on steam deck...  pop it on a 55 inch TV and running "well" opnion is likely to change.  

Small screen have high pixel density, dropping resolution a dramatic impact and saves system resources.

And I will be shocked if the switch 2 overclocks dock.  I think it might actually hit clock speeds, but it won't overclock. 

I was referring to the fact that the Switch's GPU and RAM are clocked substantially higher in docked mode than portable. This is how most Switch games run at a much higher resolution (and often with other improved settings) in docked mode compared to portable.

I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware, Steam Deck does not increase its performance when connected to a screen in this way. So Switch 2 should have a leg up over Steam Deck in this department.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Small screen have high pixel density, dropping resolution a dramatic impact and saves system resources.

And I will be shocked if the switch 2 overclocks dock.  I think it might actually hit clock speeds, but it won't overclock. 

I was referring to the fact that the Switch's GPU and RAM are clocked substantially higher in docked mode than portable. This is how most Switch games run at a much higher resolution (and often with other improved settings) in docked mode compared to portable.

I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware, Steam Deck does not increase its performance when connected to a screen in this way. So Switch 2 should have a leg up over Steam Deck in this department.

Docked and Portable are just two power profiles - they are both underclocked compared to nVidia's Shield TV, which is THE original Tegra X1 hardware.

I think everybody expects for Nintendo to do it properly this time, AKA dock having extra cooling, so SW2 can clock way higher than in portable mode - if anything, SW1 is capable of running at quite higher frequencies than what is officially supported (lot of YT videos with hacked consoles running CPU/GPU/Memory at higher clocks than official).

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Yeah I got you.  When I hear "overclock" I think pushing clock speeds higher than manufacturing recommendations.  

And yeah, the dock via proper cooling should allow higher clock speed than mobile mode.  It could help a lot.  I could see docked mode being at expected speeds and I could see it resulting in some very solid performance gains.  I can't remember the exact number but I thought the switch was under clocked by 30%?  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED