By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Concord is Sony's biggest failure in gaming history.

epicurean said:
Renamed said:

The character issues are not DEI or Woke or CRT or whatever. :eyeroll:

The problem is they simply have very little appeal about them.  They look like a character creation screen that set everything to random.  The aesthetics are incongruent and don't lend much to intrigue the player to learn more about them.  

In more modern parlance, they give off NPC energy.

Eh....putting pronouns in games is going to turn some people off. Like, any mention of that sort of thing and at LEAST 25% of people will boycott it loudly. Then having your lead character designer railing against people who dont like the designs/white people is going to add to that. I dont think its the whole reason it flopped, at all, (TLOU2 had a trans character, and it still sold very well) but its a part of it.

That's true. Many in the gaming community have continued to push back against overtly progressive themes in video games in general. While I don't go by pronouns in my personal life, I recognize that video games are creative endeavors where quite literally anything goes. It's 99.9% of the time a work of fiction. There should never be any sort of boundary as to what you can and can't do in video games and by extension, segregating potential players to your game. 

Yeah, there have been some vocal developers that do try to go against those who hate their game purely for the progressive aspects of their game, but then they reveal their own personal biases out of it, whether good or bad, such as being racist against white people. I miss the days of pre-social media where developers could quietly work on their games, and only studio leads, or PR representatives would be the only ones you would usually hear from. If you make yourself known as a game developer online today, and you start to share your own beliefs, you're going to get subjected to a tabasco drenched dick full of criticism!

Either way though, video games should be safe spaces regardless of who you are, and I do commend developers for making all feel welcomed. And we as gamers should just respect that, and each other. We're all gamers after all! Because either way, progressive ideologies in video games will overwhelmingly not be the deciding factor on whether a game is good or not. I don't see many people losing their heads about Monster Hunter Wilds being able to wear any clothing on any gender. Or even in Baldur's Gate 3 where you literally could fuck a bear so it'll primarily be many in gaming to kind of just, grow up lol.

A good game is a good game in the end. And from what it seems when it comes to Concord, progressive aspects is the last reason why the game is failing lol.

Around the Network

If Sony wanted to up their FPS library they would've made more (and possibly spent less) if they made either a new Resistance or Killzone.

Hell, Sony could've even made more if they made a sequel to Days Gone or even The Order 1886,

V-r0cK said:

If Sony wanted to up their FPS library they would've made more (and possibly spent less) if they made either a new Resistance or Killzone.

Hell, Sony could've even made more if they made a sequel to Days Gone or even The Order 1886,

What everyone is seeing is the endeavors that Jim Ryan set out to do when he became head of SIE. Those first few years of his leadership were projects that would've been greenlit by Shawn Layden. The last year or two up to today is the fruitage of Jim Ryan's work. Still waiting to see how Fairgame$ turns out. Bend Studio is also working on a live service.

G2ThaUNiT said:
V-r0cK said:

What everyone is seeing is the endeavors that Jim Ryan set out to do when he became head of SIE. Those first few years of his leadership were projects that would've been greenlit by Shawn Layden. The last year or two up to today is the fruitage of Jim Ryan's work. Still waiting to see how Fairgame$ turns out. Bend Studio is also working on a live service.

Bend is doing live service? Damn....not happy about that. But I guess it explains why we dont even have an announced game from them 4 years into the PS5 lifecycle. Its getting old not having any clue what so many of their studios are doing.

But...i digress, not on topic.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

After trying it out for a few hrs , i can say the gameplay is solid. Like a 8.5/9. But thats where it ends. It doesn't break new ground, for people not new to the genre, its' not going to win them over, yet.

Not much story, interesting characters or lore, or anything that screams next gen. I assume the devs were banking on people buying the game, and then the free content comes in weekly or monthly, like the supposed weekly stories and new maps and game modes, new characters and upgrades for each etc.. What i found strange is that even the biggest video game retailer here , wasn't even stocking the game, no pre order or coming soon.

What's also funny and depressing, is how the youtube community is basically copying one another and making the same video of how the game has surprisingly failed. All just for clicks obviously. But it makes them look stupid.

We all know that everyones been talking/playing and hyped around wukong. And concord didn't show anything new or interesting, or much ,marketing hype. So it's no surprise not many are people are playing it. But seeing what's happening on youtube and x, how everyone is shitting on the game/ devs, is sad.

Around the Network
epicurean said:
Renamed said:

The character issues are not DEI or Woke or CRT or whatever. :eyeroll:

The problem is they simply have very little appeal about them.  They look like a character creation screen that set everything to random.  The aesthetics are incongruent and don't lend much to intrigue the player to learn more about them.  

In more modern parlance, they give off NPC energy.

Eh....putting pronouns in games is going to turn some people off. Like, any mention of that sort of thing and at LEAST 25% of people will boycott it loudly. Then having your lead character designer railing against people who dont like the designs/white people is going to add to that. I dont think its the whole reason it flopped, at all, (TLOU2 had a trans character, and it still sold very well) but its a part of it.

Gamers that follow character designers on social media are a tiny fraction of the game population at large.   The complainers make noise that we hear because we are in the same audio chambers.  For the majority of gamers, they are oblivious to the political or socioeconomic postings of a game developer.

G2ThaUNiT said:
epicurean said:

That's true. Many in the gaming community have continued to push back against overtly progressive themes in video games in general.

The gaming community is a very small community and by definition tends to be vocal (the whole purpose of community).  But the vastness of all gamers is massive.  Polling a small group that feels entitled* to speak for the whole will result in false perceptions.  

* Both in that they feel that because they are more vocal they warrant more attention and that they feel games must be developed almost exclusively for them.  The irony of not being catered to is often lost upon them.

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

twintail said:
curl-6 said:

A game like this really needs have cool/sexy/badass characters, whereas the character design in Concord is some of the worst I've ever seen

This is more an indictment of just how sorry a state gaming is in right now.

That a game needs to confirm to some set standard, outside of gameplay fun factor, to be seen as ok enough to play only continues to contribute to the homogenisation of games.

There have been factors other than just gameplay in a game's appeal for basically as long as gaming has existed.

Character designs matter, particularly for a game like this. Most people want to play as characters that are appealing and cool, not ugly and lame.

KratosLives said:

After trying it out for a few hrs , i can say the gameplay is solid. Like a 8.5/9. But thats where it ends. It doesn't break new ground, for people not new to the genre, its' not going to win them over, yet.

Not much story, interesting characters or lore, or anything that screams next gen. I assume the devs were banking on people buying the game, and then the free content comes in weekly or monthly, like the supposed weekly stories and new maps and game modes, new characters and upgrades for each etc.. What i found strange is that even the biggest video game retailer here , wasn't even stocking the game, no pre order or coming soon.

What's also funny and depressing, is how the youtube community is basically copying one another and making the same video of how the game has surprisingly failed. All just for clicks obviously. But it makes them look stupid.

We all know that everyones been talking/playing and hyped around wukong. And concord didn't show anything new or interesting, or much ,marketing hype. So it's no surprise not many are people are playing it. But seeing what's happening on youtube and x, how everyone is shitting on the game/ devs, is sad.

You make it sound like the whole world is just playing Wukong and that's it. There are literally dozens of other games out there that people are choosing over Concord right now; heck, the fact that many people decided that Fallout 76 (a 4 year old game that is available on a subscription service) was a game more deserving of their money than Concord, should tell you everything you need to know about Concord's appeal.

Everyone uses pronouns. It's pretty difficult to communicate identifying people without them. It's language itself.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Everyone uses pronouns. It's pretty difficult to communicate identifying people without them. It's language itself.

That's why this whole pronoun debate is an excellent identifier of who paid attention in school. 

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression.