By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest step forward for gaming in the 21st century

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

It depends on the person really; as someone who started gaming in the 4th gen, the only step forward in my lifetime that felt more revolutionary was the transition from 2D to 3D.

Since everyone experiences gaming differently, different things make a bigger impact for different people. The extent to which stuff like VR, motion, online, etc. improves the gameplay experience varies a lot depending the individual. For example, VR can be revolutionary for some folks, but uncomfortable for others.

I  think online gaming was good for just about everyone like how can someone say online gaming is negative experience. Just about every gamer I know enjoys online gaming. I mainly play single player but the online games I played were so addicting I had to stop.

It was a negative experience for me, still is, and now more than ever.

I came from LAN multiplayer which is vastly superior to online multiplayer. No lag, in the same space with friends. I started LAN gaming with Duke Nukem 3D and carried on until UT2004. So many great memories, so much fun! Just as good as couch co-op.

The rise in online gaming took all that fun away. No more effort to come together, rather play online with often shitty voice sound quality. When I got older friends didn't have the time anymore to play at the same time so you end up with random people, which is 100x worse experience.

My days of Everquest were so addictive since we combined LAN with online play. I was playing side by side with my fiancee, together playing Everquest and later WoW until we didn't have time for that anymore (kids arrived)

Anyway in the end the rise of online has brought more negative things (eternal patches, monetization, always online, decline in couch co-op games) than positive. I rarely game online anymore. I recently tried again with GT7 and it ended up confirming why I don't do that anymore. Lot of waiting, assholes online, disconnects, dealing with lag.

Online gaming is mostly a negative experience for me.

curl-6 said:

It depends on the person really; as someone who started gaming in the 4th gen, the only step forward in my lifetime that felt more revolutionary was the transition from 2D to 3D.

Since everyone experiences gaming differently, different things make a bigger impact for different people. The extent to which stuff like VR, motion, online, etc. improves the gameplay experience varies a lot depending the individual. For example, VR can be revolutionary for some folks, but uncomfortable for others.

I didn't feel the step from 2D to 3D that much since there were already plenty 3D games from the start on PC with vector graphics. By the time Wolfenstein 3D came along with textures, I had already played tons of 3D games, including 3D Pacman, 3D Tetris, racing games, flight games. Also on MSX, some real 3D with vector graphics and sprites, some faked like Outrun.

Adding textures to 3D was a huge step though, yet so was adding textures to 2D games. 2D games are still popular as well. A real transition is from B&W to color TV. The only times you see B&W nowadays is for some art project. 3D and 2D gaming still happily co-exist, same and on and offline games. Still big step fowards, but not quite transitional.

Transitional would be the standardization of the controller and controls in general. Perhaps dual analog sticks is a good one for the 21st century. That opened up a lot of new game play possibilities and quickly became the standard.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
zeldaring said:

I  think online gaming was good for just about everyone like how can someone say online gaming is negative experience. Just about every gamer I know enjoys online gaming. I mainly play single player but the online games I played were so addicting I had to stop.

It was a negative experience for me, still is, and now more than ever.

I came from LAN multiplayer which is vastly superior to online multiplayer. No lag, in the same space with friends. I started LAN gaming with Duke Nukem 3D and carried on until UT2004. So many great memories, so much fun! Just as good as couch co-op.

The rise in online gaming took all that fun away. No more effort to come together, rather play online with often shitty voice sound quality. When I got older friends didn't have the time anymore to play at the same time so you end up with random people, which is 100x worse experience.

My days of Everquest were so addictive since we combined LAN with online play. I was playing side by side with my fiancee, together playing Everquest and later WoW until we didn't have time for that anymore (kids arrived)

Anyway in the end the rise of online has brought more negative things (eternal patches, monetization, always online, decline in couch co-op games) than positive. I rarely game online anymore. I recently tried again with GT7 and it ended up confirming why I don't do that anymore. Lot of waiting, assholes online, disconnects, dealing with lag.

Online gaming is mostly a negative experience for me.

curl-6 said:

I didn't feel the step from 2D to 3D that much since there were already plenty 3D games from the start on PC with vector graphics. By the time Wolfenstein 3D came along with textures, I had already played tons of 3D games, including 3D Pacman, 3D Tetris, racing games, flight games. Also on MSX, some real 3D with vector graphics and sprites, some faked like Outrun.

Adding textures to 3D was a huge step though, yet so was adding textures to 2D games. 2D games are still popular as well. A real transition is from B&W to color TV. The only times you see B&W nowadays is for some art project. 3D and 2D gaming still happily co-exist, same and on and offline games. Still big step fowards, but not quite transitional.

Transitional would be the standardization of the controller and controls in general. Perhaps dual analog sticks is a good one for the 21st century. That opened up a lot of new game play possibilities and quickly became the standard.

I too was thinking dual analog sticks but that was introduced in the 20th century 

Pinkie_pie said:

I too was thinking dual analog sticks but that was introduced in the 20th century 

True. It didn't really become standard straight away though. At least not how they are used today. But yes, 1997 was the first twin stick controller. 1999 Ape Escape the first game to require use of both sticks. (Although the right stick was only to select actions, not used analog)

Alien Resurrection (October 2000) was the first FPS to use dual analog sticks as we do today.

Anyway dual analog was transitional. The d-pad is now used for actions rather than movement.

You know I decided I am going to change my answer. The correct answer is Steam. By far and away the largest gaming service with the most gamers, widest selection of games.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

When people say online and how it counts because of much better it became, my mind keeps defaulting back to the massive leap off a cliff in online functionality and freedom from Bnet 1.0 (1990s) to Bnet 2.0 (2010s). Just my personal experience, but online gaming in 90s (and then into the 00s) on PC was awesome.

The answer above me is a good one (Steam). Surprised no one's mentioned support for, and the move to, HD resolutions on the console side of things.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

zeldaring's opinions are all facts. You just gotta deal with it

"Nobody on Switch plays online shooters"

Splatoon 2 - Over 10 million

Splatoon 3 - Over 10 million

Fortnite - Over 10 million in its first few months

Apex is there. Morphies Law is there. Is Ninjala a shooter? I don't remember anything about it. Also indie games with online modes. I'm sure the goal post will change again because it's not CoD or whatever.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

SvennoJ said:
Pinkie_pie said:

True. It didn't really become standard straight away though. At least not how they are used today. But yes, 1997 was the first twin stick controller. 1999 Ape Escape the first game to require use of both sticks. (Although the right stick was only to select actions, not used analog)

Alien Resurrection (October 2000) was the first FPS to use dual analog sticks as we do today.

Anyway dual analog was transitional. The d-pad is now used for actions rather than movement.

Nope. 1989 for SEGA Mega Drive is the first Twin Stick analog controller.

Last edited by Leynos - on 21 August 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
SvennoJ said:

Oh cool. That's more a precursor to Hotas though. Right stick can clearly only travel up and down.

Wild controller! I never had Sega until Dreamcast.

Chrkeller said:

You know I decided I am going to change my answer. The correct answer is Steam. By far and away the largest gaming service with the most gamers, widest selection of games.

Steam completely changed how games are delivered on PC, very valid answer.

Sadly it also turned Valve into a store keeper instead of making games :/

Leynos said:
SvennoJ said:

Wrong as usual.

Just ignore Zeldaring, he isn't offering anything factual to discuss.

SvennoJ said:

Steam completely changed how games are delivered on PC, very valid answer.

Sadly it also turned Valve into a store keeper instead of making games :/

This.
We went from having to hunt around for CD's and CD Jewel cases to input CD Key's to a full digital system.

Valve did start to branch out into hardware though with Steam Machines, VR and now Steamdeck.

The PC was a good 10 years ahead of the consoles on this front.

Leynos said:

Apex is there. Morphies Law is there. Is Ninjala a shooter? I don't remember anything about it. Also indie games with online modes. I'm sure the goal post will change again because it's not CoD or whatever.

Overwatch was another popular one.

Lots of shooters on Switch with decent populations.

Chrkeller said:

Online is a good answer because it has taken off. It isn't my answer because online has all but killed couch coop with is tragic.

I'm still going with VRR displays. The display matching fps perfectly is awesome.

Yeah, split screen is basically a thing of the past these days... Which is unfortunate as it was probably where I had the most fun as a kid... Nothing beats 4-way split screen Goldeneye/Perfect Dark for hours on end back in the 90's.

Machina said:

When people say online and how it counts because of much better it became, my mind keeps defaulting back to the massive leap off a cliff in online functionality and freedom from Bnet 1.0 (1990s) to Bnet 2.0 (2010s). Just my personal experience, but online gaming in 90s (and then into the 00s) on PC was awesome.

The answer above me is a good one (Steam). Surprised no one's mentioned support for, and the move to, HD resolutions on the console side of things.

I was playing the original Age of Empires on zone.com back in 1997 on a 33.6kbps dial-up connection, I thought it was incredible.
...But we still had to use things like MSN messenger to organize groups and such, now it's all seamless and integrated and feature-full... So when original Xbox gamers started touting online gaming... It was a "welcome to the club" moment.
Sony and Nintendo eventually caught up and now it's just a standard expectation.

The impact to HD was probably less for me as a PC gamer... As every few years I just had a bump in resolution anyway so I didn't really notice the jump to HD.

For example... 640x480 on the Voodoo 2, 800x600 on the Geforce 256, 1024x768 on the Geforce 3, 1280x1024 on the Radeon 9700Pro and so on, if anything resolutions have stalled at around 4k, with the optimal resolution being 2560x1440 with higher refresh rates.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--