By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Best graphics on Nintendo Switch

The end of the Switch era is approaching I guess. Just hope Nintendo don't mess up the next system. The older I get the more I wonder when my last system will be.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

Yup, and this game is 1080p. 360/ps3 and wiiu can only dream of running this at 1080p solid 30fps.  Also what looks better is subjective. Going from 720p to 1080p requires the gpu to do 2.25x the work in case you didn't know, and that's not even factoring the locked 30fps. I prefer these type of games then something using more advanced graphics but running at 720p or lower many times with a unstable framerate. 

Resolution whilst it has a correlation to rendering load, isn't a linear increase/decrease and cannot be attributed to scaling in such a manner, different GPU's scale differently.

I mean shit. The SAME GPU can scale resolutions differently.

Case in point... The Geforce 1030... There was a DDR4 and a GDDR5 variant.
At 720P the DDR4 variant achieves 49% of the performance of the GDDR5 variant.
At 1080P that drops to 45% of the performance of the GDDR5 variant.

Same compute, shader cores, clockspeeds. Everything.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1658-geforce-gt-1030-abomination/

Breath of the Wild is doing far more than Red Dead Redemption... But the WiiU couldn't dream of running that game at 1080P 30fps either.

It's also not subjective, we can quantifiably measure differences with games.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

Yup, and this game is 1080p. 360/ps3 and wiiu can only dream of running this at 1080p solid 30fps.  Also what looks better is subjective. Going from 720p to 1080p requires the gpu to do 2.25x the work in case you didn't know, and that's not even factoring the locked 30fps. I prefer these type of games then something using more advanced graphics but running at 720p or lower many times with a unstable framerate. 

Resolution whilst it has a correlation to rendering load, isn't a linear increase/decrease and cannot be attributed to scaling in such a manner, different GPU's scale differently.

I mean shit. The SAME GPU can scale resolutions differently.

Case in point... The Geforce 1030... There was a DDR4 and a GDDR5 variant.
At 720P the DDR4 variant achieves 49% of the performance of the GDDR5 variant.
At 1080P that drops to 45% of the performance of the GDDR5 variant.

Same compute, shader cores, clockspeeds. Everything.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1658-geforce-gt-1030-abomination/

Breath of the Wild is doing far more than Red Dead Redemption... But the WiiU couldn't dream of running that game at 1080P 30fps either.

It's also not subjective, we can quantifiably measure differences with games.

Let's keep are discussion in the other thread. Now you are telling me what I think looks better is not subjective lol.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 29 July 2024

zeldaring said:

Didn't you say red dead is more impressive then gtav I'm sorry but this Is factually wrong also. Gtav is more  then impressive then botw and red dead this is not even debateable.

1) I am debating it. So yes, it is debatable.

2) Red Dead is based on the same underlying technology as GTA5, that is the RAGE engine.
Red Dead tends to have different focuses on simulation quality.

3) Breath of the Wild has:
* More impressive Physics.
* Fire propagation and full dynamic weather system.
* Superior A.I.
* Global illumination (Radiosity)
* Local reflections. (Not just a cube map.)
* Ambient Occlusion.
* Bokeh Depth of field.

And more.

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

Didn't you say red dead is more impressive then gtav I'm sorry but this Is factually wrong also. Gtav is more  then impressive then botw and red dead this is not even debateable.

2) Red Dead is based on the same underlying technology as GTA5, that is the RAGE engine.

* Superior A.I.
* Ambient Occlusion.
* Bokeh Depth of field.

And more.

Let's keep it in the other thread.

Around the Network

Ori and the Blind Forest is an outstanding port on NSW. Moon Studios put much effort in this port to let the game look almost the same as on way more powerful platforms. And fluent 60fps as well.

In terms of first party games, I think I have to go with Pikmin 4. The textures and shaders are as close to perfect as it gets on Switch hardware, along with the whole 'dozens of characters on screen at the same time' element that was part of the reason the original game was created to show off the Gamecube hardware. 2nd would be Xenoblade 3.

Overall, I'd probably go with Crysis 3. While Prime Remastered looks really good, I think the Crysis games just have more impressive gemometry and textures.

siebensus4 said:

Ori and the Blind Forest is an outstanding port on NSW. Moon Studios put much effort in this port to let the game look almost the same as on way more powerful platforms. And fluent 60fps as well.

Did you play the sequel, Will of the Wisps? That one really impressed me on Switch that they managed to port it across while still looking gorgeous and running at 60fps, with a lot more going on onscreen compared to the first game.

zeldaring said:
Pemalite said:

* Superior A.I.
* Ambient Occlusion.
* Bokeh Depth of field.

And more.

You literally brought it in here. Take your own advice.

Discussion is about the best graphics on Switch. Hence BoTW.

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

You literally brought it in here. Take your own advice.

Discussion is about the best graphics on Switch. Hence BoTW.

This about best graphics on Switch not the game with the most feature set. Show me a open world game on switch that looks this good at 1080p. the game has great graphics for switch and looks beautiful, this is a subjective choice it's not that hard to understand. I also thinkBOTW looks beautiful and honestly it's very close but red dead just has way more detail. Playing this has really changed my mind and it seems like graphics didn't advance as much as I thought they did.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 30 July 2024