By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Ace Combat 7 on Switch

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

I fully get why people who travel a lot prefer portable.  I drive to work and it is only about 10 minutes.  99% of my gaming is on the couch.  

I actually don't play in portable mode, (I never got into small screen gaming) I just chuck my Switch into my backpack and hook it up to the dock at my old place when I'm spending the night there due to teaching at schools far from my main residence. Or just take my dock with me and set it up in a hotel room when I travel further afield.

I also just find ambitious ports like this fascinating, ever since I was a kid one of my special interests has been the technical minutiae of how things work.

Fair point.  I've done the same on a few occasions.  The dock is easy to transport.  My PC and ps5, not so much.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I’ve always enjoyed seeing what developers can do when faced with limited resources and/or technological restrictions. Creating a perfect product with all the time and money in the world is great and all, but making something from nothing is a special sort of achievement.

It’s amazing the amount of creativity and unconventional thinking that can spring forth when the desired result is blocked in some way.

I dont get the comment making something from nothing comment. As for switch ports how many times are we gonna be impressed/facinated  with it running massivly downgraded ps4 games this is a slightly better result cause of the kinda of game it is and coming out 6 years later.

For me I find it interesting because the switch 2 is going to be a huge upgrade over the switch.  If the switch can run watered down ps4 games, by default the S2 is going to Smash ps4 games.  And for those who play portable pr travel a lot, that is pretty cool.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Veknoid_Outcast said:
curl-6 said:

I actually don't play in portable mode, (I never got into small screen gaming) I just chuck my Switch into my backpack and hook it up to the dock at my old place when I'm spending the night there due to teaching at schools far from my main residence. Or just take my dock with me and set it up in a hotel room when I travel further afield.

I also just find ambitious ports like this fascinating, ever since I was a kid one of my special interests has been the technical minutiae of how things work.

I’ve always enjoyed seeing what developers can do when faced with limited resources and/or technological restrictions. Creating a perfect product with all the time and money in the world is great and all, but making something from nothing is a special sort of achievement.

It’s amazing the amount of creativity and unconventional thinking that can spring forth when the desired result is blocked in some way.

Yeah, I love seeing these kind of ports where devs manage to squeeze a game onto much less powerful hardware than it was designed for, especially in cases like this where the results turn out better than expected.

I own a lot of PS4-to-Switch conversions and this is right up there with the likes of Sniper Elite 4 and Outlast II as one of the most well done.

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

I dont get the comment making something from nothing comment. As for switch ports how many times are we gonna be impressed/facinated  with it running massivly downgraded ps4 games this is a slightly better result cause of the kinda of game it is and coming out 6 years later.

For me I find it interesting because the switch 2 is going to be a huge upgrade over the switch.  If the switch can run watered down ps4 games, by default the S2 is going to Smash ps4 games.  And for those who play portable pr travel a lot, that is pretty cool.  

I think we already know switch can handle many ps4 games. We have seen MK11, witcher 3, dying light and doom/eternal etc. Sure it was interesting  in the  beginning to see what level the results switch can handle them but we already know by now. I'm looking forward  to seeing how new tech can give me a much better experiance but hey everyone has there own interests but saying this is  fascinating is like someone being facinated seeing a toyota corrolo at the race track after seeing what it did 10 times already.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

I think we already know switch can handle many ps4 games. We have seen MK11, witcher 3, dying light and doom/eternal etc. Sure it was interesting  in the  beginning to see what level the results switch can handle them but we already know by now. I'm looking forward  to seeing how new tech can give me a much better experiance but hey everyone has there own interests but saying this is  fascinating is like someone being facinated seeing a toyota corrolo at the race track after seeing what it did 10 times already.

I find these discussions more interesting than sales.  I could care less if the switch passes the ps2.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

I find these discussions more interesting than sales.  I could care less if the switch passes the ps2.  

Switch came out in 2016 we already know everything we need to know about what it can do. I still can't believe people still care about what this out dated tech can do, switch pro or switch 2 should have been here by now, and that will make things  interesting for me at least.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Switch came out in 2016 we already know everything we need to know about what it can do. I still can't believe people still care about what this out dated tech can do, switch pro or switch 2 should have been here by now, and that will make things intresting for me at least.

Perhaps.  I do feel like developers are still squeezing shockingly impressive output, even years later.  LM3 is a great example, so is Pikmin 4.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Switch came out in 2016 we already know everything we need to know about what it can do. I still can't believe people still care about what this out dated tech can do, switch pro or switch 2 should have been here by now, and that will make things intresting for me at least.

Perhaps.  I do feel like developers are still squeezing shockingly impressive output, even years later.  LM3 is a great example, so is Pikmin 4.  

LM3 came out in 2019. it's looks beautiful on switch no doubt, but impressive not really. When you have a  game is just confined to a very small places, moving at a very slow pace with really nothing going on, you can expect to get some beautiful graphics. This isn't a knock on switch i say the samething about heavy rain,hell blade 2, beyond 2 souls, and detroit too human. They just don't impress me, cause they are basically using cheat codes compared to  games like horizon, RE4remake and BOTW.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 15 August 2024

Chrkeller said:

I own Nintendo consoles not for the watered-down Playstation/Xbox/PC releases, but for the Nintendo exclusives that provide an experience not found anywhere else.
I would also argue most Switch owners also game on other platforms and gravitate towards Nintendo when they release a banging title... Which seems to be frequent these days.

But I also do find it fascinating how some developers can pull-off such pleasing set-pieces despite the antiquated hardware... Like when a game starts using significant amounts of dynamic lighting, shadowing and screen space effects like Luigi's mansion to augment gameplay, it shows a level of care and competency that is missing in the industry these days... Which is in stark contrast to say Gamefreak who struggle to make anything remotely aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

Another example is Breath of the Wild, it was such a breath of fresh air having that game release, open world games were static and formula-driven in their development that they were getting very samey for many years prior. I.E. FarCry, Assassins Creed.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Yeah, even after owning a Switch since 2017, I still find myself impressed from time to time at what can be squeezed out of it, like with this game, and with Metroid Prime Remastered last year.

Even when a system is old and seemingly tapped out, talented devs can still find ways to surprise.