By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Ace Combat 7 on Switch

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

I could be wrong, but isn't the ps4 a solid 60 fps while the Switch is a variable 30 fps?  That is a pretty big difference.  

Base PS4 is a variable 40-60fps, Switch is an almost completely locked 30fps.

which explains why the switch runs as well as it did.  60 fps requires 2x the memory bandwidth that 30 fps does.  Frame rate takes a huge amount of resources.  Reducing frame rate is how games run on weaker hardware.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

which explains why the switch runs as well as it did.  60 fps requires 2x the memory bandwidth that 30 fps does.  Frame rate takes a huge amount of resources.  Reducing frame rate is how games run on weaker hardware.  

That's part of it, yes, but we've seen plenty of other Switch ports from PS4 reduce their framerate target and still have huge reductions in graphical quality, as PS4 is more than just double the Switch in power. (In bandwidth for instance it's like 7 times more)

That it still looks relatively close speaks to a lot of hard work and talented coding from the devs, and it's nice to see that they made the effort instead of just rushing out a low quality product.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

That's part of it, yes, but we've seen plenty of other Switch ports from PS4 reduce their framerate target and still have huge reductions in graphical quality, as PS4 is more than just double the Switch in power. (In bandwidth for instance it's like 7 times more)

That it still looks relatively close speaks to a lot of hard work and talented coding from the devs, and it's nice to see that they made the effort instead of just rushing out a low quality product.

It is really well done, no doubt.  But dropping 60 fps to 30 fps, dropping 1080p to 720p docked (540p portable) and removing reflections...  that frees up a lot of bandwidth.  Still impressive.  Too many sacrifices for my personal tastes, but I still believe anything can be ported.  Just a matter of sacrifice.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

It is really well done, no doubt.  But dropping 60 fps to 30 fps, dropping 1080p to 720p docked (540p portable) and removing reflections...  that frees up a lot of bandwidth.  Still impressive.  Too many sacrifices for my personal tastes, but I still believe anything can be ported.  Just a matter of sacrifice.  

It's not quite 1080p/60fps on PS4 technically; it's around 972p during gameplay and hovers in the 50-60fps range.

But I do take your point, and yeah, that's fair enough. If you prefer the best looking version this naturally won't be your best option.

It suits me cos I travel for work and so I only have access to my PS5 for 4-5 days of the week, but I can easily grab my Switch and take it with me, so I'm glad they bothered to make a well optimized port.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 August 2024

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

It's not quite 1080p/60fps on PS4 technically; it's around 972p during gameplay and hovers in the 50-60fps range.

But I do take your point, and yeah, that's fair enough. If you prefer the best looking version this naturally won't be your best option.

It suits me cos I travel for work and so I only have access to my PS5 for 4-5 days of the week, but I can easily grab my Switch and take it with me, so I'm glad they bothered to make a well optimized port.

I fully get why people who travel a lot prefer portable.  I drive to work and it is only about 10 minutes.  99% of my gaming is on the couch.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Not just that but the game  released almost 6 years ago on ps4. So developers and tools are always improving. ps4 is 50-60fps 90% of the game.

The amount of dteail removed on the ground is insane but works well for this game as you are in the air and gives the illusion that you are just too high from the ground.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 14 August 2024

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

I fully get why people who travel a lot prefer portable.  I drive to work and it is only about 10 minutes.  99% of my gaming is on the couch.  

I actually don't play in portable mode, (I never got into small screen gaming) I just chuck my Switch into my backpack and hook it up to the dock at my old place when I'm spending the night there due to teaching at schools far from my main residence. Or just take my dock with me and set it up in a hotel room when I travel further afield.

I also just find ambitious ports like this fascinating, ever since I was a kid one of my special interests has been the technical minutiae of how things work.

I don't get why people are fascinated by older hardware running  newer games, It's the same story almost every time a huge downgrade graphics and framerate,personally I find nothing exciting about that and we see the same story with ps5 vs pc it's always a downgraded. personally I wanna see graphics advancements and it's disappointing that consoles have fsr and can't really do Unreal 5 justice.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

I actually don't play in portable mode, (I never got into small screen gaming) I just chuck my Switch into my backpack and hook it up to the dock at my old place when I'm spending the night there due to teaching at schools far from my main residence. Or just take my dock with me and set it up in a hotel room when I travel further afield.

I also just find ambitious ports like this fascinating, ever since I was a kid one of my special interests has been the technical minutiae of how things work.

I’ve always enjoyed seeing what developers can do when faced with limited resources and/or technological restrictions. Creating a perfect product with all the time and money in the world is great and all, but making something from nothing is a special sort of achievement.

It’s amazing the amount of creativity and unconventional thinking that can spring forth when the desired result is blocked in some way.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
curl-6 said:

I’ve always enjoyed seeing what developers can do when faced with limited resources and/or technological restrictions. Creating a perfect product with all the time and money in the world is great and all, but making something from nothing is a special sort of achievement.

It’s amazing the amount of creativity and unconventional thinking that can spring forth when the desired result is blocked in some way.

I dont get the comment making something from nothing comment. As for switch ports how many times are we gonna be impressed/facinated  with it running massivly downgraded ps4 games this is a slightly better result cause of the kinda of game it is and coming out 6 years later.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 14 August 2024