By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2024 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

Phenomajp13 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Multiplat games are not PS Games

What are they multiplat with? Xbox? PC/Mobile isn't tracked. So obviously he is talking about PS being the sad part. Maybe they should do a better job at being multiplat with the far and obvious console market leader.

zeldaring said:

Meh you have no clue of what your talking about, and making this making this into console wars talk. When amazing games or console fail in any region it's not a good thing, especially when we talk about such a big gaming culture. Nothing wrong with saying Japan could broaden it's tastes in gaming. Street fighter and resident evil are some most loved franchises in Japan and the market didn't care you don't see how that's not a good thing and make into some console warriors bs.

This is obviously a console warrior take, PC and Mobile aren't tracked. So what makes the market sad? Isn't Switch already the highest selling console in history? Sounds like the market is doing wonderful, just a certain company failed that you are just making excuses for. Amazing games or console? According to who? You? Who the hell are you to tell consumers they should broaden their taste? The fact that you see nothing wrong with that is appalling. You are that much of a fanboy. The market doesn't care about Resident Evil and Street Fighter and they got what they deserved because they supported a failure. 

zeldaring said:

Exactly final fantasy,  persona, street fighter 6, Resident evil 4, and fromsoftware all becoming massive WW while shrinking in Japan just sad.

You will shrink in Japan when you support a platform they don't want. See Monster Hunter bending over backwards to support a platform they want.

I think games should sell the platform and that's how it works in the majority of the world. The only one console warring is here is you. The 7th gen was extremely a sad time for Japanese developers  cause they really couldn't make any big hits , capcom was on the brink of death, thankfully WW the market is very healthy and supports all type of games but japan is a different matter, its just family friendly games made by nintendo now obviously you love seeing that since that's probably the only company you care for but  for me seeing goats that are so well made being shunned by one of the biggest gaming markets cause it's western or cause they only want kid friendly nintendo games is sad. 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 13 July 2024

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Phenomajp13 said:

What are they multiplat with? Xbox? PC/Mobile isn't tracked. So obviously he is talking about PS being the sad part. Maybe they should do a better job at being multiplat with the far and obvious console market leader.

zeldaring said:

Meh you have no clue of what your talking about, and making this making this into console wars talk. When amazing games or console fail in any region it's not a good thing, especially when we talk about such a big gaming culture. Nothing wrong with saying Japan could broaden it's tastes in gaming. Street fighter and resident evil are some most loved franchises in Japan and the market didn't care you don't see how that's not a good thing and make into some console warriors bs.

This is obviously a console warrior take, PC and Mobile aren't tracked. So what makes the market sad? Isn't Switch already the highest selling console in history? Sounds like the market is doing wonderful, just a certain company failed that you are just making excuses for. Amazing games or console? According to who? You? Who the hell are you to tell consumers they should broaden their taste? The fact that you see nothing wrong with that is appalling. You are that much of a fanboy. The market doesn't care about Resident Evil and Street Fighter and they got what they deserved because they supported a failure. 

You will shrink in Japan when you support a platform they don't want. See Monster Hunter bending over backwards to support a platform they want.

I think games should sell the platform and that's how it works in the majority of the world. The only one console warring is here is you. The 7th gen was extremely a sad time for Japanese developers  cause they really couldn't make any big hits , capcom was on the brink of death, thankfully WW the market is very healthy and supports all type of games but japan is a different matter, its just family friendly games made by nintendo now obviously you love seeing that since that's probably the only company you care for but  for me seeing goats that are so well made being shunned by one of the biggest gaming markets cause it's western or cause they only want kid friendly nintendo games is sad. 

No you are the one doing the constant console warrior nonsense. You continue to spout the same stupidity about just Nintendo games doing well and refuse to address the PC and mobile markets are flourishing without Nintendo games. If we are talking just the console market then its not Japan's fault Sony and MS fail to deliver good consoles and the games clearly arent as good as you claim. Maybe you have bad taste and those games arent as well made as you think. Maybe they could deliver those games on a console they desire. Maybe those arent desirable enough to sale an undesirable console. Apex Legends and Fortnite are popular in Japan and neither rely on PS to perform well. I can name several games that sale well in Japan because they make themselves attainable to consumers by being available on platforms the market desires. Could you imagine GTA or CoD only being sold only on Xbox? So why would it make sense to only sale Resident Evil or Street Fighter on PS/Xbox? 

Apparently also according to you only Nintendo games do well on Switch despite it already being pointed out to you there are several high selling 3rd party games on Switch but you ignore them because this is nothing more than a console warrior agenda.

Last edited by Phenomajp13 - on 13 July 2024

zeldaring said:
Phenomajp13 said:

zeldaring said:

Why are the 2 options for not being successful in Japan either 1. It’s western or 2. Japan only likes kid friendly games. I don’t think either of those are true. Hentai games are most definitely a thing on switch. Lol. 

sony abandoned Japan pretty hard over the course of the last 5 years. If anyone is to blame for Sony and associated AAA games not being successful in Japan it’s Sony. I agree it’s sad, but instead of figuring out how to be successful In Japan they just gave up. And they made decisions that were counter or against success in Japan ….repeatedly. Moves Nintendo used to make and Sony would take advantage of - notably around censorship or editorial decisions. Now it’s Sony doing that. It’s really head scratching. Gone are the days of parapa rappa Sony bustling with creativity. Although astrobot is a hopeful step in the right direction. 

It’s gotten so bad that square enix is jumping ship on exclusivity and taking advantage of nintendos success

the good news is there is a strong possibility you will be seeing those AAA games on the top ten list again when switch 2 roles out. And given it’s not a console thing you will be happy to see it, as will I as I ageee with you. 

that being said let’s not blame poor results from decisions by Sony on anyone else but Sony. 

the way this argument for AAA games on a Sony device is being positioned reminds me of this. Lol. (obvs you mean Sony as Xbox has never been successful In japan)

https://youtu.be/z-8LGTVF3_I?si=kKtBWZWgjXg2nvl1

Last edited by MadDogg - on 13 July 2024

Phenomajp13 said:
zeldaring said:

No you are the one doing the constant console warrior nonsense. You continue to spout the same stupidity about just Nintendo games doing well and refuse to address the PC and mobile markets are flourishing without Nintendo games. If we are talking just the console market then its not Japan's fault Sony and MS fail to deliver good consoles and the games clearly arent as good as you claim. Maybe you have bad taste and those games arent as well made as you think. Maybe they could deliver those games on a console they desire. Maybe those arent desirable enough to sale an undesirable console. Apex Legends and Fortnite are popular in Japan and neither rely on PS to perform well. I can name several games that sale well in Japan because they make themselves attainable to consumers by being available on platforms the market desires. Could you imagine GTA or CoD only being sold only on Xbox? So why would it make sense to only sale Resident Evil or Street Fighter on PS/Xbox? 

Apparently also according to you only Nintendo games do well on Switch despite it already being pointed out to you there are several high selling 3rd party games on Switch but you ignore them because this is nothing more than a console warrior agenda.

Nothing console warring about pointing out the obvious the Japanese market is extremely niche. When  games can do 25-30 million WW and Japan only contributes 1 million cause they don't want to play western games or anything not family friendly from ninetndo 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 13 July 2024

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Everyone has their own standard for what is "quality" though. Plenty of games I consider to be excellent flopped in the West; Okami, Bayonetta, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Spec Ops: The Line, No More Heroes, Fatal Frame...

At the end of the day, everyone's tastes are different.

For the most part those games weren't even huge success in Japan, so you can't really blame the US. When even in Japan their intended audience didn't even go crazy for it. I think for the most part these days a massive success in Japan will be a massive success ww as well.

We are talking some of the best games ever candidates and they hardly move the needle. Resident evil 4 remake considered to a remake of one the best games ever and a amazing remake not lighting at the charts at all, same with elden ring many consider one best game ever. Witcher 3 as well, the list goes On, with many genres.

A game being "one of the best ever" is a matter of opinion and taste, and is entirely subjective. None of the games you list are available on Switch which is Japan's preferred console; if you want to sell better in Japan you need to support the market leader.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

For the most part those games weren't even huge success in Japan, so you can't really blame the US. When even in Japan their intended audience didn't even go crazy for it. I think for the most part these days a massive success in Japan will be a massive success ww as well.

We are talking some of the best games ever candidates and they hardly move the needle. Resident evil 4 remake considered to a remake of one the best games ever and a amazing remake not lighting at the charts at all, same with elden ring many consider one best game ever. Witcher 3 as well, the list goes On, with many genres.

A game being "one of the best ever" is a matter of opinion and taste, and is entirely subjective. None of the games you list are available on Switch which is Japan's preferred console; if you want to sell better in Japan you need to support the market leader.

Witcher 3 is also on Switch it did a staggering 53  million WW and in Japan only 1 million, and a game being the best game ever is a matter of opinion but  a game that's high quality isn't, but even if you try to cater to the audience they have such a extreme bias they won't give it a chance like the  360 was a amazing console that's tried everything to appeal to the market but nope as long as the company not Japanese or in the niche they like the chances are slim to none of success.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Witcher 3 is also on Switch it did a staggering 53  million WW and in Japan only 1 million, and a game being the best game ever is a matter of opinion but  a game that's high quality isn't, but even if you try to cater to the audience they have such a extreme bias they won't give it a chance like the  360 was a amazing console that's tried everything to appeal to the market but nope as long as your not Japanese or in the niche they like the chances are slim to none of success.

We've been over this again and again; 1 million in a single country is good sales.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Witcher 3 is also on Switch it did a staggering 53  million WW and in Japan only 1 million, and a game being the best game ever is a matter of opinion but  a game that's high quality isn't, but even if you try to cater to the audience they have such a extreme bias they won't give it a chance like the  360 was a amazing console that's tried everything to appeal to the market but nope as long as your not Japanese or in the niche they like the chances are slim to none of success.

We've been over this again and again; 1 million in a single country is good sales.

I think you ignore context. A game doind 53 million WW and doing 1 million is not good in a huge gaming market. It like mario kart 8 doing only 3 million in the states while it does 20 million in europe and japan.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I think you ignore context. A game doind 53 million WW and doing 1 million is not good in a huge gaming market. It like mario kart 8 doing only 3 million in the states while it does 20 million in europe and japan.

Japan is still just one country. A country with less than 2% of the world's population, and a country with an ageing and declining population and far less young people compared to say 20 years ago. That's the context.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Again, it needs to be remembered this is a single country, so selling in the 100-500k range is pretty good.

Japan is a massive gaming market, just look at what nintendo sales are doing. Just saying big successes are rare aside from Nintendo games, to me i find that sad because there are many developers making amazing games and japan just has a obvious bias which ok every place does but at least  for the most part if  the game is amazing every gaming region is showing love except japan. 

Lol, that's the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen it.