By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2024 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

Lukas85 said:

Sad? Why? They are buying the best games, which are nintendos, japanese havr great taste in videogames

Sad because nothing else is thriving? what other ip or even other developers games exploded in Japan, next to nothing.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Lukas85 said:

Sad? Why? They are buying the best games, which are nintendos, japanese havr great taste in videogames

Sad because nothing else is thriving? what other ip or even other developers games exploded in Japan, next to nothing.

Others can do well.

The Momotaro games exploded on Switch this gen.

Suika Game was the most downloaded Switch game of 2023, ahead of even Nintendo's first party games.

Stellar Blade's sold over 100k physically in a couple of months.

Hogwarts Legacy sold over 300k physically last year alone.

Dragon Quest Monsters cleared half a million physically by the end of 2023.

Minecraft's over 3 million physically despite being the kind of game that sells mostly digitally.

Monster Hunter Rise and World sold multiple millions.

The eBaseball games consistently sells in the hundreds of thousands.

Ghost of Tsushima sold over half a million.

Again, it needs to be remembered this is a single country, so selling in the 100-500k range is pretty good.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Others can do well.

The Momo taro games exploded on Switch this gen.

Suika Game was the most downloaded Switch game of 2023, ahead of even Nintendo's first party games.

Minecraft's over 3 million physically despite being the kind of game that sells mostly digitally.

Again, it needs to be remembered this is a single country, so selling in the 100-500k range is pretty good.

Japan is a massive gaming market, just look at what nintendo sales are doing. Just saying big successes are rare aside from Nintendo games, to me i find that sad because there are many developers making amazing games and japan just has a obvious bias which ok every place does but at least  for the most part if  the game is amazing every gaming region is showing love except japan. 

It's more to do with portable. If the switch wasn't portable these Nintendo games wouldn't sell half as much but they do have a lot of games Japanese love so even if the switch wasn't portable it would've sold around 15-20m probably twice as much as the PS4

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Others can do well.

The Momo taro games exploded on Switch this gen.

Japan is a massive gaming market, just look at what nintendo sales are doing. Just saying big successes are rare aside from Nintendo games, to me i find that sad because there are many developers making amazing games and japan just has a obvious bias which ok every place does but at least  for the most part if  the game is amazing every gaming region is showing love except japan. 

Nintendo games doing amazingly doesn't mean everyone else is failing. Japan accounts for less than 2% of the world's population and less than half the population of the US, selling like 500k there is quite good.

And a lot of Asian countries actually have similar tastes to Japan. Just cos the US and Europe likes realistic AAA games doesn't mean the rest of the world has to like them too. Different cultures naturally have different tastes.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Nintendo games doing amazingly doesn't mean everyone else is failing. Japan accounts for less than 2% of the world's population and less than half the population of the US, selling like 500k there is quite good.

And a lot of Asian countries actually have similar tastes to Japan. Just cos the US and Europe likes realistic AAA games doesn't mean the rest of the world has to like them too. Different cultures naturally have different tastes.

Let me ask you a question. if nintendo best games weren't selling great in the US would you find it sad? Of course you would, I think i have the right to say they should broaden their gaming tastes cause all they do is buy the same games and franchises. It's not even about realistic AAA games, Resident evil 4 remake is not realistic, SF6 was a flop there as well, elden ring sold 25 million WW and only sold only 1 million in japan, i just feel like they should expand their gaming tastes.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 13 July 2024

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Let me ask you a question. if nintendo best games weren't selling great in the US would you find it sad? Of course you would, I think i have the right to say they should broaden their gaming tastes cause all they do is buy the same games and franchises. It's not even about realistic AAA games, Resident evil 4 remake is not realistic, SF6 was a flop there as well, elden ring sold 25 million WW and only sold only 1 million in japan, i just feel like they should expand their gaming tastes.

Developers must cater to their customers if they want to sell well, not the other way around. They are not in any way entitled to our patronage.

Jules98 said:
zeldaring said:

Developers must cater to their customers if they want to sell well, not the other way around. They are not in any way entitled to our patronage.

What customers? no one caters to Japan anymore cause they know it's a lost cause. Nintendo just making the same games they always made.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Others can do well.

The Momotaro games exploded on Switch this gen.

I think the near monopoly Nintendo have on the top 30 paints a bad picture, but as you said, It is just one country. So the fact that non Nintendo games rarely hang on for more than a few weeks doesn't mean they're not successful. The exclusion of digital data makes things look worse too.

For sure though the Japanese market is a very hard one to break. 

Last edited by Otter - on 13 July 2024

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Let me ask you question if nintendo best games weren't selling great in the US would you find it sad? Of course you would, I think i have the right to say they should broaden their gaming tastes cause all they do is buy the same games and franchises. It's not even about realistic AAA games, Resident evil 4 remake is not realistic, SF6 was a flop there as well, elden ring sold 25 million WW and only sold only 1 million in japan, i just feel like they should expand their gaming tastes.

I accept that other people are allowed to have different tastes to me. I'm cool with the UK not really caring for Nintendo for instance.

Again, selling 1 million or even 300-500k is actually good sales for a single country.

As for Japan only buying the same games and franchises, if you look at the highest selling games in America or Europe you'll also find mostly the same few big games and franchises dominating.